HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:39 AM
Build em lite......
Joined Apr 2012
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by missileman View Post
I just got my Flash D in the mail Wednesday and the Crack Yak I ordered for my son should be here tomorrow. Hope to fly one on Sunday... can't wait!

I am debating on if I should install the landing gear. I always fly in a grass field, not always maintained well. I Have seen gear get ripped off other planes causing damage. Lots of people just belly land in the grass.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with these planes and landing gear on grass?
The Flash D is a fine machine. No doubt about it, if you are primarily flying on an unimproved landing area, leave the landing gear off. It will also save you some weight. The Flash flies at its best light and soft.....
nkhamlue is offline Find More Posts by nkhamlue
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:44 AM
Joined Jul 2012
119 Posts
Agree, no landing gear on the Crack Yak. Glue a strip of banding strap on the front of the lower fuse to protect it though.
markl22 is offline Find More Posts by markl22
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:00 AM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdee View Post
ESC Arming....
For the Twisted Hobbys' ESC, there is a short video on how to initialize it, on the Twisted Hobbys' site - ESC pages
cdee
Any other thoughts? Anyone? I tried this with no success.
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:09 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3flyguy3 View Post
Any other thoughts? Anyone? I tried this with no success.
I read back thru some of the posts, nothing pops out that was not already mentioned. Maybe a brief re-cap of your situation would stir some more thoughts?
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:48 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,254 Posts
I "borrowed" my orange rx from my Edge over to another plane to text its esc. Turns out the other esc was fine. I put the rx back on the Edge and I have all surface movement and LEDs but no motor. The esc doesn't doesn't arm. So is the issue the motor or the esc? Why would a functioning esc/motor stop working after I reinstalled the rx?

Tried: rebinding, a different rx, recalibrating end points, ensuring throttle was down, trim and subtrim was down. I don't have another motor or esc to swap out or mix and match to try to eliminate the culprit (bad motor or bad esc)

When I tried recalibrating the endpoints, I did exactly as the video on TH's site. Turned on transmitter, moved thottle to wide open, connected battery and then nothing. No sound. No beeps. Only movement of the servos.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:03 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,240 Posts
I know it sounds silly but are you sure you have it plugged into the right channel on the rx?
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:12 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,254 Posts
No not silly at all. I thought about that and checked and double checked.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:21 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,240 Posts
What tx are you using? it might be worth resetting the model memory back to factory and starting from scratch. Not sure if it would do anything but I'm also not sure how your esc would just stop working like that. Could be worth a try
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:21 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,254 Posts
I'm fishing here but I'm hand turning the motor and it doesn't have any "bite" it seems to turn a bit looser or freer than I remember. Would that indicate anything? Maybe I'm imagining its looser just trying to find answers but compared to another motor of similar size it just seems loose.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:22 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
What tx are you using? it might be worth resetting the model memory back to factory and starting from scratch. Not sure if it would do anything but I'm also not sure how your esc would just stop working like that. Could be worth a try
I'm using Spektrum DX6i. Not sure what you mean by setting model back to factory.
Last edited by 3flyguy3; Oct 02, 2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:25 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,240 Posts
Does the DX6i have a servo display screen? just thinking you might somehow have some sort of throttle cut programmed that you didn't know about.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:26 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,173 Posts
This is pretty strange, I agree with Avie on starting on a new model memory. It's a long shot but you never know.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:27 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,240 Posts
Which motor is it? if it's the X Series 1800kv they are very free turning compared to most. The Crack Series feels a little coggier (if there was such a word)
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:14 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3flyguy3 View Post
Ok, I'll try the suggested. I did rebind, no success. And even tried a different esc with the rx. Rx is fine on the other esc/motor. I even tried a different rx on the suspect esc/motor. The other motor/esc I have, don't fit the bullet connectors. Would I have to solder up some connections to fit the Slicko motor and Twisted esc? Or is it safe to electric tape them temporarily?

Do you know off hand if that's covered in the manual for the DX6i? I can't look at this very moment. If it's not covered, do you know how?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazePilot View Post
This is pretty strange, I agree with Avie on starting on a new model memory. It's a long shot but you never know.
Back when I suffered with the DX6i I had this happen to me once and I just started a whole new model with the same settings and it worked fine and I deleted the old model, really weird. I got rid of it a while ago and got the Aurora A-9 and not had a single problem in the three years since, really love the A-9. On another note, check the solder joints on the motor/esc wires. It may just be a coincidence that a cold solder joint just happened to show up at this time and has nothing to do with the receiver swap. I would resolder all of the connector's on both the motor and esc just to be sure. By the way, just picking on you about the DX6i, but the weird behavior with the model not responding really did happen to me once.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:14 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,228 Posts
I had a problem like that and I went into the reverse settings and reversed the throttle and then reversed it again back to normal. We are fishing here are we not. It worked for me, not sure why.

Tom
carr52 is online now Find More Posts by carr52
RCG Plus Member