HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:44 AM
United States, FL, Lake Mary
Joined Jul 2012
7 Posts
I just got my Flash D in the mail Wednesday and the Crack Yak I ordered for my son should be here tomorrow. Hope to fly one on Sunday... can't wait!

I am debating on if I should install the landing gear. I always fly in a grass field, not always maintained well. I Have seen gear get ripped off other planes causing damage. Lots of people just belly land in the grass.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with these planes and landing gear on grass?
missileman is offline Find More Posts by missileman
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:26 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by missileman View Post
I just got my Flash D in the mail Wednesday and the Crack Yak I ordered for my son should be here tomorrow. Hope to fly one on Sunday... can't wait!

I am debating on if I should install the landing gear. I always fly in a grass field, not always maintained well. I Have seen gear get ripped off other planes causing damage. Lots of people just belly land in the grass.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with these planes and landing gear on grass?
Yeah i have landed in grass long and short with know problems with the landing gear, I would not worry your good to go missileman.
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:11 AM
United States, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2012
186 Posts
No landing gear here. I float it in and plop it on the ground or hand catch. Heck mine get doinked into the ground way more than floating in As long as you are landing on grass I wound't worry about landing gear.
docbrew is offline Find More Posts by docbrew
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:19 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JForbes View Post
Would you say it's worth a motor upgrade for those flying on 2s, or maybe better suited just for the 3s users?
Both the 24g and 26g motors are very nice, the 26g will give you a little more power, but also drains the battery a little quicker, so it's a bit of a trade off. If you are happy with your current setup probably no reason to upgrade, but certainly consider the 26g on your next build.
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:12 AM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Motor or ESC?

I "borrowed" my orange rx from my Edgd over to another plane to text its esc. Turns out the esc was fine. I put the rx back on the Edge and I have all surface movement and LEDs but no motor. The esc doesn't doesn't arm. So is the issue the motor or the esc? Why would a functioning esc/motor stop working after I reinstalled the rx?
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:02 AM
Registered Addict
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3flyguy3 View Post
I "borrowed" my orange rx from my Edgd over to another plane to text its esc. Turns out the esc was fine. I put the rx back on the Edge and I have all surface movement and LEDs but no motor. The esc doesn't doesn't arm. So is the issue the motor or the esc? Why would a functioning esc/motor stop working after I reinstalled the rx?
Try adding a couple of down clicks on the throttle trim then see if your esc arms.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:02 AM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,517 Posts
Quote:
Check your trim and subtrim on your throttle. Make sure your throttle is low. Make sure you haven't reversed your throttle channel. Rebind. Just generic things to try that are related to what your report. After that, try a different ESC with the receiver, or a different motor with the ESC.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:28 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,015 Posts
Quote:
You might have to recalibrate the throttle endpoints.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:06 AM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
Check your trim and subtrim on your throttle. Make sure your throttle is low. Make sure you haven't reversed your throttle channel. Rebind. Just generic things to try that are related to what your report. After that, try a different ESC with the receiver, or a different motor with the ESC.
Ok, I'll try the suggested. I did rebind, no success. And even tried a different esc with the rx. Rx is fine on the other esc/motor. I even tried a different rx on the suspect esc/motor. The other motor/esc I have, don't fit the bullet connectors. Would I have to solder up some connections to fit the Slicko motor and Twisted esc? Or is it safe to electric tape them temporarily?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
You might have to recalibrate the throttle endpoints.
Do you know off hand if that's covered in the manual for the DX6i? I can't look at this very moment. If it's not covered, do you know how?
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:01 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,015 Posts
Quote:
Ok, I'll try the suggested. I did rebind, no success. And even tried a different esc with the rx. Rx is fine on the other esc/motor. I even tried a different rx on the suspect esc/motor. The other motor/esc I have, don't fit the bullet connectors. Would I have to solder up some connections to fit the Slicko motor and Twisted esc? Or is it safe to electric tape them temporarily?

Do you know off hand if that's covered in the manual for the DX6i? I can't look at this very moment. If it's not covered, do you know how?
You have to calibrate throttle endpoints through the ESC, so you have to check the manual for the ESC to see how to do it using your transmitter. Usually you turn on the trans, move the throttle stick all the way up, then turn on the esc and wait for a couple of beeps then move the throttle stick down and it should arm itself and do the normal startup beeps. But check your esc manual to be sure.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:18 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,924 Posts
ESC Arming....
For the Twisted Hobbys' ESC, there is a short video on how to initialize it, on the Twisted Hobbys' site - ESC pages
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:27 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Tried setting up throttle calibration per video...nothing. No response.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:37 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
We had the first proper indoor session on Saturday night. Here is a video of some of the mayhem that ensued, watch for the crash session at the end The only casualty after all that abuse was one eight inch prop and a slightly loose motor mount, we left with everything still flyable fun fun fun

Warning this video contains aircraft abuse

First indoor mayhem and madness 2012 (5 min 16 sec)
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:51 AM
Registered Addict
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Man looks like you had fun mate wish there was an indoor session near me.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:40 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris... View Post
Man looks like you had fun mate wish there was an indoor session near me.
Ours start again on 11th October - can't wait

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart