HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:40 PM
United States, ID, Sandpoint
Joined Apr 2009
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitycheat View Post
The 49" Sbach laughs at the wind I feel sorry for the windy when I fly my Sbach in it
I have the 44" 540 Edge and the 32" 540 Edge. IMHO The 44" handles the wind better where as the 32" is usually reserved for calmer days. They are both fun to fly, it just depends on whether you are out for a day of fun flying or actually working on some maneuvers.
crobar is offline Find More Posts by crobar
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:00 AM
Parkfly Padawan
United States, PA, Waynesburg
Joined Aug 2011
980 Posts
I'm tempted by the 49" Sbach... after reading through the build/owners thread! Plus, there is a part of me that thinks a bigger plane may be easier to learn 3D on that a smaller one... just being able to see the surfaces a little better, if that makes any sense. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my slick... I fly it whenever I can, and it always goes with me to the field... but I'm intrigued and like the looks of the "big plane".
JForbes is offline Find More Posts by JForbes
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:29 AM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JForbes View Post
I'm tempted by the 49" Sbach... after reading through the build/owners thread! Plus, there is a part of me that thinks a bigger plane may be easier to learn 3D on that a smaller one... just being able to see the surfaces a little better, if that makes any sense. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my slick... I fly it whenever I can, and it always goes with me to the field... but I'm intrigued and like the looks of the "big plane".
Yes, bigger planes have their place.

While I too love my little Extra Slick, the SBach is every bit as good but different.

I know this doesn't make sense but my summation of the SBach is this:

- It flies very precisely like a stiff balsa plane, yet...
- It flies very much like my little Extra Slick and
- It handles wind extremely well

As a bonus:

- It fits in the trunk of my 2011 Optima (it also fits in the back seat) with all my support gear

I prefer it over my Telink SU-29 even though the big Telink is a great plane. The SBach has a longer fuselage and that gives it an edge for precision flying. It feels more locked in to me.

JC

ps - You know you are getting one so you might as well head over to the Twisted site and submit your order.
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:40 AM
Parkfly Padawan
Joined Aug 2011
980 Posts
You know me too well JC....

.................darn you Twisted Hobbys................ Darn you!!!!.....................

(I just say this becuase I want the bigger plane, but when they come out with a micro, I'm going to want one of those too!)
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:01 AM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JForbes View Post
You know me too well JC....

.................darn you Twisted Hobbys................ Darn you!!!!.....................

(I just say this becuase I want the bigger plane, but when they come out with a micro, I'm going to want one of those too!)
LOL.... I have the same affliction or maybe I should say... ADDICTION!

I have bought 4 Twisted planes in 6 months time. Got the itch for another.

Seems to be contagious.

When I first started flying my version 1 Xtra Slick, people gave me funny looks. After giving a few of them a pull at the sticks, they had to have one. More and more of them are showing up at my club and indoor sites.

I was really tickled this past weekend at our Big Bird fly-in when one of the pilots from a local club I had visited (with my Extra Slick v2) a few months ago told me something. He said that after I had flown there that several of their members had bought them. I was really tickled because they had given me the same funny looks as others and had been a bit condescending in their remarks about it and EPP planes in general. Now they love them!

Speaking of the Big Bird fly-in. We raffled off two built Extra Slicks complete with batteries and a choice of Spektrum or Futaba RX. Talk about a hit. The second one was won by a spectator who did not fly RC. An impromptu auction took place and it was madness. The winner was the wife of a club member that flies a 40% Sukhoi - guess who showed up at last Monday night's indoor fly?

Yup, we have addicted another one with Twisted planes.

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JC Spohr; Sep 20, 2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:32 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,845 Posts
JC... nice!!

I use to get funny looks too, but now the only person giving funny looks is me when I see someone that comes back off the flight line with a bucket of balsa.... I also offer out the opportunity to all interested in have a spin with whatever Twisted Hobbys plane I have with me that day. Always generates interest!

cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:51 AM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Never flown a plane before. And here I am absolutely loving the TH Biplane. I am actualy flying this thing now. I have had several nosdives into grass, three or four times in a tree, and a few repairs now, but I am getting it. I had a great flight yesterday morning. Again, never flown before, teaching my self on this TH plane, and it's working for me! Awesome fun this is!
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:56 AM
Parkfly Padawan
Joined Aug 2011
980 Posts
WOW... I can't imagine teaching myself this hobby... but these planes are a much better way to go than balsa, that's for sure... just for the crash factor and easy repairs. You crash a balsa wing and it will take you a lot longer than 5 minutes to get the wing back together, if you ever do get it right again...
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:02 AM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Well, my maiden flight lasted approx 4 seconds. Since then, I have maybe 12 flights, and the last one was pretty much a full battery pack, the only thing that didnt make it perfect was that I almost crashed into myself trying to do the "grab", and broke my rudder horn, already fixed and ready for more. Just love flying this plane, nice and slow, nice and easy. For now. For kicks I even threw in a couple of simple rolls, what fun.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:10 AM
Parkfly Padawan
Joined Aug 2011
980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
Well, my maiden flight lasted approx 4 seconds. Since then, I have maybe 12 flights, and the last one was pretty much a full battery pack, the only thing that didnt make it perfect was that I almost crashed into myself trying to do the "grab", and broke my rudder horn, already fixed and ready for more. Just love flying this plane, nice and slow, nice and easy. For now. For kicks I even threw in a couple of simple rolls, what fun.
That is still impressive. I learned on a balsa wet fueled plane, and it took me several months before i was able to maiden. First learned to fly, then to land, then to take off. Then solo. Since one crash with balsa would pretty much do you in, I had to take it slow. It would be much easier in that aspect wtih these planes.

Do you have a simulator for your pc? I know it's still not like flying, but I just started using a cheap one (hope to upgrade to RF6 soon) but I can tell a difference already. Also, even just reading these forums and talking to good pilots has helped me with my flying. Hang in there. If you're having fun, you're bound to get better!
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:39 AM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Oh ya, I have been "flying" in RF6 alot. Especially the Crack Yak, there is not Pitts, maybe someone will "make" one. RF helped me so much, in getting used to the sticks, and getting comfortable with how to make the plane move in the direction you want it to. Still having plenty of trouble with that, lol. But yes, having great fun. I see myself with 5 or 6 planes within the next year. I am also into Boats, and offroad trucks, RC that is. But I am loving this new aspect of the hobby.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:13 PM
Parkfly Padawan
Joined Aug 2011
980 Posts
Very cool. I got out of planes, then into rock crawlers, and mini offroad 1/18 then I realized how much I missed planes, so here I am again.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:37 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
When you got out of planes, was it gas? or Nitro? If that was the only choice now, I wouldnt have any RC vehicles, I am SO done with nitro. I really cannot understand why anyone would want to mess with smelly, noisy, tempermental......... But I digress. I have a highly modified Traxxas Summit, a Motley Crew Catamaran, and a restored dual motor/drive Traxxas Villain Deep V, my favorite.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:54 PM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,566 Posts
So its a great day in Lawrenceville, GA. The first plane to arrive to my new place of residence is from twisted hobbys and its it he form of a gold Crack yak.. Thanks Brad.. I told you it was on my list the minute I got here.
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:58 PM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Mar 2008
3,705 Posts
now get it built for Saturday maiden.. !
bigmoebbq is offline Find More Posts by bigmoebbq