HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:51 AM
Parkfly Padawan
United States, PA, Waynesburg
Joined Aug 2011
918 Posts
yea, that was a tricky part of the build on the Pitts. I was going to go the way you did, but didn't have enough quick connects on hand, so i ended up gluing them. If they ever come apart, quick connects will be on there.
JForbes is offline Find More Posts by JForbes
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:32 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,321 Posts
The quick connects just seemed right to me so I went that route when I saw cdee's setup. For me it was the ply supports for the wings, that took time.

Bitting at the bit to see what's coming up from TH. know there's the micro yak. Are there plans for micro Slick or Pitts as well?
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:39 AM
Parkfly Padawan
Joined Aug 2011
918 Posts
We don't know... I don't think... and those who do, aren't saying much... There is something in the works... and a lot of folks (including myself) are quite anxious to see what it may be.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:11 AM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,628 Posts
We have a few things. I am convinced that Chris Jewett is an evil genius...the stuff he comes up with is way out there, but then he goes and finds a way to not only make it work, but make it work so well that you just kind of drop everything and gotta have one.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:21 AM
Parkfly Padawan
Joined Aug 2011
918 Posts
Here is a question for the Twisted Pros.... or anyone else... What is the best Twisted plane for flying in the wind? Not high winds, of course, but your average open-field, 10mph winds... The 32" planes will fly in it, but it can toss them around a little. How do the larger Twised planes do in the wind?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:35 AM
Extremely Twisted
Joined Oct 2005
2,628 Posts
Out of the 32" line-up the Extra Slick is probably the best in the wind, followed closely by the Crack Yak.

The 39" planes are better, especially with a slightly larger battery.

The Telinks are of course the best in the wind, though. Put a 2200 on them and they handle it pretty well.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:55 AM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JForbes View Post
Here is a question for the Twisted Pros.... or anyone else... What is the best Twisted plane for flying in the wind? Not high winds, of course, but your average open-field, 10mph winds... The 32" planes will fly in it, but it can toss them around a little. How do the larger Twised planes do in the wind?
I'm loving my big RCF SBach 342 @ 48.8" on 3S 1800.

Plane weighs 27 oz. AUW ready to fly.

A couple weeks ago, our club had a picnic and 9/11 tribute. Local fire, police, and two boy scout troops were there. The day was windy, very windy... around a steady 20 mph,

Once all the ceremonies were over, the club president was on the PA trying to get some guys to fly and put on a demo for the huge crowds.

Seems as if every one was timid due to the wind.

Not me - I grabbed my SBach which was out for display and took stage center. Stationary harrier rolls and the like were a blast. The club prez announced that if I was out in the wind flying a light weight foamie, then the balsa should be in the air too. That's all it took and more joined in.

The point is, the big foamies fly very well in the wind. Since they are profile, they will exhibit some tendency to weather-vane. I also have the 44" Telink SU-29 that flies well in wind but the SBach shows less weather-vane effect and flies about as close to balsa as I have experienced.

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:02 AM
Parkfly Padawan
Joined Aug 2011
918 Posts
Good info! Thanks guys!
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:58 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post
We have a few things. I am convinced that Chris Jewett is an evil genius...the stuff he comes up with is way out there, but then he goes and finds a way to not only make it work, but make it work so well that you just kind of drop everything and gotta have one.
After reading that Cody, "Doctor Evil"popped into my mind. Yeah that's the ticket Chris Jewett is the Doctor Evil of foamies! There's no doubt what is in store for us mortals will have us grinning.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:51 PM
United States, ID, Sandpoint
Joined Apr 2009
672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
No one figure out the hawk yet? It does kinda look like a chicken hawk. An Osprey make a few passes at my Crack Yak at the field where I fly in the video. They have a wing span of about 4-5 feet.

Tom
Ospreys are way bigger than this one. How about a Peregrine Falcon?
crobar is offline Find More Posts by crobar
Old Sep 19, 2012, 05:03 PM
United States, ID, Sandpoint
Joined Apr 2009
672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
No one figure out the hawk yet? It does kinda look like a chicken hawk. An Osprey make a few passes at my Crack Yak at the field where I fly in the video. They have a wing span of about 4-5 feet.

Tom
Ospreys are way bigger than this one. How about a Peregrine Falcon?
crobar is offline Find More Posts by crobar
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:01 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JForbes View Post
The 49" Sbach laughs at the wind I feel sorry for the windy when I fly my Sbach in it
Gravitycheat is offline Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:36 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,408 Posts
I have a blast flying all my TH planes in the wind. They're just fun windy or not.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: T-38 Talon
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:20 PM
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jan 2012
24 Posts
Anyone know how many watts the newer 24g 1450kv on 2s with the 8x4.3 would pull? How much vertical can these 32" planes expect even with the landing gear running on 2s? Thanks
MountainMike is offline Find More Posts by MountainMike
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:43 PM
Extremely Twisted
Joined Oct 2005
2,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMike View Post
Anyone know how many watts the newer 24g 1450kv on 2s with the 8x4.3 would pull? How much vertical can these 32" planes expect even with the landing gear running on 2s? Thanks
Not much...40 watts maybe.

When running the 24g 1450 KV motor on 2S use a 9x4.7 prop. That should get you an easy 65 watts which is plenty of power for truly unlimited vertical and hover pull-out. Only use the 8x4.3 on 3S with that motor.