HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:17 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,538 Posts
Aren't the 2 cells more suited for indoors on the 9" prop? If the Gens Ace 3s 450s have fallen off, are the 3s Sky Lipos in 500 mah the next best economical choice?
BrownEyedFool is offline Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:18 AM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,892 Posts
I use the heck out of expo on my aerobatic planes (and even a small amount on my gentle flyers).

No disrespect meant but I find that guys who don't use expo are typically: a) new to the hobby, b) clueless to how to use it, c) experienced and set in their ways, or d) some combination a, b, and c. Another observation - most of the previously described group don' t fly very well. This is MHO - rant off.

On extreme aerobatics/3D planes like my Twisted Hobbies foamies and my Extreme Flight RC planes, I use lots of expo. Typically in the range for 70% for ailerons and elevator and as much as 85% on rudder when in full 3D mode.

How much you use is dependent on the plane and your skills. As I have progressed as a pilot, I have been reducing expo to get a more "connected" feel.

I have found the kit manufacturers recommended settings for throws and expo to be a good starting place and just tweak it from there.

Some people make easy things complex when they are really easy and simple.

Expo is simple and easy to set up. If you need help, look for the 3D pilots at your local club and seek their help. They have the knowledge and expertise that you can't get from the guys who only fly oval patterns and the occasional loop or roll.

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:22 AM
Joined Jul 2011
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JForbes View Post
I'm diggin' the new avatar STLAV8R... I'll take one! lol....

Here is a question I know has been posted all over, but since we all have similiar planes (even though I know it's more about personal preferrence), Are you guys flying your foamies with expo? If so, how much? I never used it at all with my wet fuel balsa planes. They were simply high and mid wing planes and I didn't do any 3D flying with them so I never explored it. My rc teacher/instructor said he believed it was best that I learn to fly without it, then I could try it down the road... well, I've gotten down the road a little. I've tried it on the simulator I have at 35% (or -35% for us Futaba guys) and I really liked the feel of it. It did feel a little more controllable, but I don't know if that was just in my head or not. I've read where soem guys go up as much as 80% or more, but that felt horrible. What say you, masters of the sport?
It is totally a matter of personal preference. Expo by its nature gives you finer control during part of the throw at the expense of control elsewhere. I run expo of 60. That gives me much finer control around the center but less fine control at the extremes. A proponent would say it makes the plane less twitchy. An opponent would say it makes the plane mushy.
Madratter is offline Find More Posts by Madratter
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:24 AM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Damn circle flyers.......LOL. I don't use expo and I'm a very good pilot. People who use lots of expo have twitchy thumbs IMHO. No offense. I have expo built into my thumbs
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:25 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madratter View Post
It is totally a matter of personal preference. Expo by its nature gives you finer control during part of the throw at the expense of control elsewhere. I run expo of 60. That gives me much finer control around the center but less fine control at the extremes. A proponent would say it makes the plane less twitchy. An opponent would say it makes the plane mushy.
I don't use expo I just make small movements. That way I have fine control throughout the stick movements.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:25 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16 View Post
Damn circle flyers.......LOL. I don't use expo and I'm a very good pilot. People who use lots of expo have twitchy thumbs IMHO. No offense. I have expo built into my thumbs
Let's see some slow rolls and 4 point rolls or any other precision flight then Mr. Expo Thumbs
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:29 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Alright as soon as I get my crack yak flying
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:38 AM
3D Hack
Joined Jul 2010
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16 View Post
Similar to the argument that people who don't use mixes make: they prefer to correct manually.

Expo and mixes are your friend - they reduce pilot work load.

Why swim against the tide?

JC

ps - If you think you are good now, then imagine what your flying would be like using these tools.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:44 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Ah well I am getting a Dx6I soon I will give it a try. Not like the CY need mixes, but my T28 dives at the first touch of rudder.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:44 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,211 Posts
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:58 AM
3D Hack
Joined Jul 2010
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
Exactly what I was thinking!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:59 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
What?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:01 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,492 Posts
For all you folks looking for a new charger heres your chance. On sale now at hobbypartz. Also heres a online code it might work with on sale stuff also. Its for 20% off.

LBDTD20

http://www.hobbypartz.com/chargers.html
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:04 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
That link is just the chargers page.............but 20%! Thanks!
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:05 AM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Ooh online codes for hobbypartz. Hmm I should order a couple of 3s to give a shot on these things.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien