HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:04 PM
Joined Jul 2011
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JForbes View Post
Well, that's the plan.... fortunately, I have a few ball fields to choose from within about a 1/4 mile from my house. I hope to maiden it sometime this week. I'm not sure how familiar any of you are with this, but I'll post it and see if anyone knows... I have a Futaba T6J transmitter and I put one of the micro rx's on this plane. I believe the specs say it's good to about 300m or so. Since I am hoping to learn the "slo and lo" type of flying with this plane, that should be more than sufficient, don't you think?
That depends entirely on how you want to fly it. But since my Twisted Hobbys planes are flown in my backyard and never get more than perhaps 200' away, it would certainly be plenty for me.
Madratter is offline Find More Posts by Madratter
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:17 PM
USA, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined Dec 2010
213 Posts
Quote:
x2!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaeolien View Post
X1500000000. Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16 View Post
x1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdee View Post
times infinity and beyond... lol!!

cdee
Times ω+1, for you mathematical types.
3dflyboy1 is offline Find More Posts by 3dflyboy1
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:32 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madratter View Post
That depends entirely on how you want to fly it. But since my Twisted Hobbys planes are flown in my backyard and never get more than perhaps 200' away, it would certainly be plenty for me.
Agreed.

It's like scuba diving. You can go deeper if you want (and sometimes you should), but the best experience usually is in the 30-90' depth range.

So, fly these puppies close at hand. Work on your 3D skills, and enjoy the easy visual contact.

Dave

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:19 PM
Joined Dec 2010
213 Posts
Well it seems that hobbypartz had a little problem with my order... the four sky lipo 3s 1600mAh 40C batteries I ordered were actually out of stock, even thought the website says they're in stock (even now, a day later). Soooo after 20 minutes on hold with customer service I swapped 'em out for 3s 1800mAh 30C packs. I had wanted to keep it on the lighter side, but hopefully I'll have all the parts for my 44" ES soon!
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:04 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Tommorrow I should have my motor back for my slick and then it's Pitts action till dark and slick action until I'm out of batteries. Haha. Yeeeehaw.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:19 PM
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Jan 2009
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalusrobert View Post
Most awesome customer service out there...bar none! Thanks Brad!!!
IMO...TH has the best customer service for foamies. Extreme Flight for giant scale.
STLAV8R is offline Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:52 AM
Parkfly Padawan
United States, PA, Waynesburg
Joined Aug 2011
946 Posts
I'm diggin' the new avatar STLAV8R... I'll take one! lol....

Here is a question I know has been posted all over, but since we all have similiar planes (even though I know it's more about personal preferrence), Are you guys flying your foamies with expo? If so, how much? I never used it at all with my wet fuel balsa planes. They were simply high and mid wing planes and I didn't do any 3D flying with them so I never explored it. My rc teacher/instructor said he believed it was best that I learn to fly without it, then I could try it down the road... well, I've gotten down the road a little. I've tried it on the simulator I have at 35% (or -35% for us Futaba guys) and I really liked the feel of it. It did feel a little more controllable, but I don't know if that was just in my head or not. I've read where soem guys go up as much as 80% or more, but that felt horrible. What say you, masters of the sport?
JForbes is offline Find More Posts by JForbes
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:55 AM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
I don't use expo. I have tried it on a friends radio and it felt like I had no control over the plane. Its a matter of personal preference.
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:00 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,743 Posts
Quote:
I'm diggin' the new avatar STLAV8R... I'll take one! lol....

Here is a question I know has been posted all over, but since we all have similiar planes (even though I know it's more about personal preferrence), Are you guys flying your foamies with expo? If so, how much? I never used it at all with my wet fuel balsa planes. They were simply high and mid wing planes and I didn't do any 3D flying with them so I never explored it. My rc teacher/instructor said he believed it was best that I learn to fly without it, then I could try it down the road... well, I've gotten down the road a little. I've tried it on the simulator I have at 35% (or -35% for us Futaba guys) and I really liked the feel of it. It did feel a little more controllable, but I don't know if that was just in my head or not. I've read where soem guys go up as much as 80% or more, but that felt horrible. What say you, masters of the sport?
Expo definitely helps with the higher control throws. If you are setting up your planes to have 40 to 45 degrees of throw, you will likely want something around 50 to 70 percent expo. It is a fine balance and based on personal preference. I rarely use low rates, so higher expos is where I have found my balance for flying smoother around center stick. If the expos get too high than the control movement near the end of the stick gets pretty aggressive. Start around 40 or 50 percent and increase if necessary to be smooth around center stick.
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:02 AM
Joined Dec 2010
213 Posts
My second plane was a yak 54 foamie (full fuse, airfoil, etc) and I learned to fly it with no expo before I got my DX7. But now I prefer about 20-25% expo on all surfaces, if I'm flying an aerobat.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:02 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,226 Posts
Definitely personal preference. I run at least 60% expo on my planes so i can still fly smooth on high rates.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:04 AM
Parkfly Padawan
United States, PA, Waynesburg
Joined Aug 2011
946 Posts
Yea, I have dual rates set up on my planes, but find that I leave it on high rates most of the time and just try not to overdo it. Go figure... I wanted a radio with dual rates, but never use them.. lol... Thanks guys... I know it is mostly based on the individual, but wanted to see other folks are doing so I maybe I can try something new.
JForbes is offline Find More Posts by JForbes
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:04 AM
Joined Dec 2010
213 Posts
A little off-topic, but it looks like my only gens ace 2s 450mAh is fried. Now I only have two 2s 360mAh for my Extra Slick.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:05 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Expo is good but set it too high and I find it works against you. You move the stick, nothing happens, you move the stick more, still nothing happens, you move the stick some more,,,BAM, full throw.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:10 AM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dflyboy1 View Post
A little off-topic, but it looks like my only gens ace 2s 450mAh is fried. Now I only have two 2s 360mAh for my Extra Slick.
Hey dude don't get new ones. I have heard from a few people that they have dropped in quality. Get a few 2S 20C 500 packs (sky lipos) they are only $2.65 each.
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)