HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:15 PM
USA, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined Dec 2010
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool View Post
Redoing some hinging on my Extra slick, using Blenderm at the moment.

Should i be closing that gap between the points of the two beveled edges or leaving a gap? 1/16"? 1/32"?

I assume Blenderm is an acceptable hinge replacement over Welder's, I have trouble getting the Welder's thin enough.
Did your hinges get yellowish and crack? What I did was put a bead of UHU por along the hinge line with no gap on both sides, then rubbed it around to thin it out. But when I tested the hinge it was too stiff and the whole wing was bending when the servo pulled/pushed. So I cut intervals down the hinge line with my hobby knife. Works great now

I might just cut the hinges and try blenderm though... seems like it would be a lot more flexible.
3dflyboy1 is offline Find More Posts by 3dflyboy1
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:29 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,617 Posts
Yeah there was enough cracking that I didn't trust the ailerons to stay attached at the ends. When my buddy and I ran blenderm on the crack he closed the gap entirely.

Wasn't hugely roll responsive today though it was also windy as hell not sure if that played a role
BrownEyedFool is offline Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:01 PM
United States, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2012
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dflyboy1 View Post
Did your hinges get yellowish and crack? What I did was put a bead of UHU por along the hinge line with no gap on both sides, then rubbed it around to thin it out. But when I tested the hinge it was too stiff and the whole wing was bending when the servo pulled/pushed. So I cut intervals down the hinge line with my hobby knife. Works great now

I might just cut the hinges and try blenderm though... seems like it would be a lot more flexible.
I had the same issue because I put welders on both sides of the hinge. That said I did the same thing as you but I used a dremel with a fiber cutting wheel to cut the "intervals" along the hinge line and it's been working perfect. The small slit cut wasn't enough to loosen up the the hinge because of the welders wanting to keep sticking to itself.
docbrew is offline Find More Posts by docbrew
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:21 AM
Parkfly Padawan
United States, PA, Waynesburg
Joined Aug 2011
983 Posts
I got my first TH plane, the Extra Slick, completed over the weekend. It's a beautiful plane and the ease of construction was awesome. I did end up gluing my black epp fuse reinforcements on backwards but I don't think it will impact flight too much... I was trying to be so careful and patient putting this one together. I layed it in place correctly, and then put the welders on and apparently, the fumes got to me... lol Oh well.... now, being that i'm just getting into the 3D scene, and seeing how nice this plane looks, I'm nearly afraid to fly it. lol
JForbes is offline Find More Posts by JForbes
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:23 AM
Endangered User
United States, FL, Casselberry
Joined Jul 2002
1,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JForbes View Post
I got my first TH plane, the Extra Slick, completed over the weekend. It's a beautiful plane and the ease of construction was awesome. I did end up gluing my black epp fuse reinforcements on backwards but I don't think it will impact flight too much... I was trying to be so careful and patient putting this one together. I layed it in place correctly, and then put the welders on and apparently, the fumes got to me... lol Oh well.... now, being that i'm just getting into the 3D scene, and seeing how nice this plane looks, I'm nearly afraid to fly it. lol
Have no fear - these things fly great, and they are very tough.
MattLarson29 is offline Find More Posts by MattLarson29
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:23 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Find some grass and crash on man!!! You're going to love the Extra Slick. It flies sooo nice, especially for a foamy!
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:25 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
Find some grass and crash on man!!! You're going to love the Extra Slick. It flies sooo nice, especially for a foamy!
+1.... dont be afraid Matt... if you can fly over grass they are indestructible! Great fun and no stress... EPP is the best!
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:38 AM
Parkfly Padawan
Joined Aug 2011
983 Posts
Well, that's the plan.... fortunately, I have a few ball fields to choose from within about a 1/4 mile from my house. I hope to maiden it sometime this week. I'm not sure how familiar any of you are with this, but I'll post it and see if anyone knows... I have a Futaba T6J transmitter and I put one of the micro rx's on this plane. I believe the specs say it's good to about 300m or so. Since I am hoping to learn the "slo and lo" type of flying with this plane, that should be more than sufficient, don't you think?
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:43 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Well, that's the plan.... fortunately, I have a few ball fields to choose from within about a 1/4 mile from my house. I hope to maiden it sometime this week. I'm not sure how familiar any of you are with this, but I'll post it and see if anyone knows... I have a Futaba T6J transmitter and I put one of the micro rx's on this plane. I believe the specs say it's good to about 300m or so. Since I am hoping to learn the "slo and lo" type of flying with this plane, that should be more than sufficient, don't you think?
Oh yeah, that should be plenty. That's like 3 football fields. I usually keep mine well within that range
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:54 PM
United States, GA, Valdosta
Joined Jan 2009
636 Posts
Most awesome customer service out there...bar none! Thanks Brad!!!
daedalusrobert is offline Find More Posts by daedalusrobert
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:01 PM
Parkfly Padawan
Joined Aug 2011
983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalusrobert View Post
x2!
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:20 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalusrobert View Post
X1500000000. Lol
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:24 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaeolien View Post
x1500000000. Lol
x1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16