HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2012, 10:01 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Now that I think about it JC it might not be that bad like you say. The foam is squishy so should be able to get it out without cutting any of the plane.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:18 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,606 Posts
Gathering recommendations and suppliers for adding lights to a pair of older TH 32" epp foamies for night flying. Not the wingtip lights of the TH light kit (which are out of stock anyway), but lines of LEDs down each wing edge and along the fuselage. I know of a guy who put 6m of lights on a 32" epp, he had to upsize his motor and esc to a speed 300. Looking to do something similar to take these Twisted planes to NEAT Fair and fly them at night in all their glory.

Anyone got recommendations on bringing the lights of broadway to these TH birds?
BrownEyedFool is online now Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:22 AM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Check out the Hobbypartz lights. They have tons of colors and sizes. Might be what you are looking for.
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:58 AM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool View Post
Gathering recommendations and suppliers for adding lights to a pair of older TH 32" epp foamies for night flying. Not the wingtip lights of the TH light kit (which are out of stock anyway), but lines of LEDs down each wing edge and along the fuselage. I know of a guy who put 6m of lights on a 32" epp, he had to upsize his motor and esc to a speed 300. Looking to do something similar to take these Twisted planes to NEAT Fair and fly them at night in all their glory.

Anyone got recommendations on bringing the lights of broadway to these TH birds?
My advice is to wait for the Twisted light set to be in-stock and get it.

It is proper 3D lighting and won't cause you to add unnecessary weight and cost to your plane.

LED strips suck in my opinion. They disappear/reappear in a disorienting manner as the planes orientation changes.

Twisted's light set is exactly what is needed on these planes.

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:01 AM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
I put the twisted set on my slick and it's simple but effective at being able to keep track of the plane. The one thing I would have liked is a led on the tail. Looking at ways to modify the twisted set to add 1 more led to the tail.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:06 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
Joined Sep 2011
1,606 Posts
If these planes were Crack Yaks or Crack Pitts I'd use the TH light sets, and my FB and I are planning on team building two Crack Pitts since our effort at a BNF build got no response recently.

This is a Yedge and a v1 Slick that are currently shelved, this is a method to get them back into regular use, and I'm also under a time constraint, since I have no way of knowing if the TH sets will come back in stock within the next month.

If my choice is to load up these older airframes or have my night flyer options limited to a Night Vapor, bring on the strips.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:12 AM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool View Post
If these planes were Crack Yaks or Crack Pitts I'd use the TH light sets, and my FB and I are planning on team building two Crack Pitts since our effort at a BNF build got no response recently.

This is a Yedge and a v1 Slick that are currently shelved, this is a method to get them back into regular use, and I'm also under a time constraint, since I have no way of knowing if the TH sets will come back in stock within the next month.

If my choice is to load up these older airframes or have my night flyer options limited to a Night Vapor, bring on the strips.
You asked and I answered.

You can get an ETA on stock simply by emailing or calling Brad at Twisted Hobbys.

I have a Night Vapor and I (me, myself, and I) would fly it vs. the LED strips.

Just trying to save you some buyers remorse. But it is your decision.

Hope it works out to your satisfaction...

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:25 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
Joined Sep 2011
1,606 Posts
True. Thanks for the feedback. I need to call Brad at some point anyway on a different topic anyway.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:56 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,280 Posts
I posted this yesterday on the Extra slick thread but i'll post it here for all you who still NEED to buy one This is on 3s with the 1800kv motor and the throttle dialed back to 75%
Extra slick 3s (2 min 11 sec)
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Aug 09, 2012, 12:10 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
I like the TH light set too. I've only got one set because we can't get them in the UK and the exchange rate makes them expensive to get from Twisted. Luckily I picked up a set second hand off Gravity Cheat. I fitted them to the outer sfg on my Crack Yak but they would have probably been better on the inner one as it casts a big shaddow on the fuse as it is. Still works great with no orientation problems though. I'd love to get more of them and fit the Pitts out with two or three sets, two on the wings and one on the tail.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:43 AM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
I like the TH light set too. I've only got one set because we can't get them in the UK and the exchange rate makes them expensive to get from Twisted. Luckily I picked up a set second hand off Gravity Cheat. I fitted them to the outer sfg on my Crack Yak but they would have probably been better on the inner one as it casts a big shaddow on the fuse as it is. Still works great with no orientation problems though. I'd love to get more of them and fit the Pitts out with two or three sets, two on the wings and one on the tail.
Dan,

Glad your liking the lites. I just was not using them so it's good to see they are getting a second chance at a life
Gravitycheat is online now Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
Old Aug 10, 2012, 07:37 AM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
I posted this yesterday on the Extra slick thread but i'll post it here for all you who still NEED to buy one This is on 3s with the 1800kv motor and the throttle dialed back to 75% http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nck9DSiSag&feature=plcp
That's awesome. I am obligated to say that you are well outside the recommended range for that motor, but that's the first time I've seen a 32" flat foamie do a pop-top!

FWIW this is the kind of performance you can get with the Crack Series motor (1450KV) on 3S with a 8x4.3:

Testing Crack Series Motor (3 min 31 sec)
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Aug 10, 2012, 08:08 AM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
That is crazy!!!! I mean that is CRACK!!! Got to get one!
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:06 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post
That's awesome. I am obligated to say that you are well outside the recommended range for that motor, but that's the first time I've seen a 32" flat foamie do a pop-top!

FWIW this is the kind of performance you can get with the Crack Series motor (1450KV) on 3S with a 8x4.3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW6W6flvZAg
Maaaaan that thing is gnarly! Sweet flying!

My 1800kv motor actually comes down cooler than when i was running it on 2s with a 9'' prop. I was worried about killing the motor but it is handling the extra voltage like a champ

I'll get a crack series motor for my next TH plane
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:46 AM
USA, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined Dec 2010
213 Posts
Now that's a lotta powah! It seems to handle 3s really well!

On another note, I've pretty much narrowed down my next plane! I just have to decide on a color scheme for the 44" Telink. The Edge, or the Slick... hmmmm
3dflyboy1 is offline Find More Posts by 3dflyboy1