HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 22, 2012, 06:59 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
Hey guys!

I've been off the forums for a while with SEFF and NALL and am just getting back up to speed on the latest RCG stuff.

I flew the heck out of my Crack Yaks and Crack Bipes over those two events! I really like the Crack Bipe. It is a great addition to the fleet. It is like a Crack Yak in slow motion. A great learning tool for sure!

One of the coolest things for me at Nall and SEFF was every where I went, in every nook and corner of the flying and camping sites you could always see a Crack Yak flying! I remember one evening coming off the trails out by the lake at Nall and there was a guy sitting there on the dirt road flying a CY all by himself. Made me smile!!
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2012, 07:56 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,629 Posts
Agreed. Man the Crack epidemic sure is spreading. They are absolutely ubiquitous now and it's really cool to see them everywhere.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old May 22, 2012, 08:26 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,513 Posts
Yeah the Yedge is an older airframe, from reading the yedge thread it was built in roughly Feb 2010. Seems the rudder hinge design has been updated on the newer frames, beveled on one side rather than double beveled to make two chisel points that meet at the rudder centerline. The aileron arms are very low to the airframe so they hit the wing when they move, causing the whole nose to twist a little (woot for extra ailerons on the nose!)

Took the Extra Slick out and maidened it today, didn't want to climb much, and showed me just how different 3D flight can be from normal. Might have had the CG too far back, the packs I was using might be a little too thrashed to have much punch. Might make sense to reboot the battery inventory for these two airframes.

Will be a lot of little trouble shooting to learn on these, but it'll be good to learn.
BrownEyedFool is online now Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old May 22, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
I flew my 32" Extra Slick and my Flash today. Ideal weather and six of us got out to fly this morning. While flying my Flash I began to wonder if TH might make a 32" model with an airfoil.
e-gull is offline Find More Posts by e-gull
Old May 23, 2012, 09:21 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnutz View Post
browneyedfool where do you fly ,it seems that i live close to you,maybe we can hook up and fly
I fly a couple places, a small 400 x 400 lot near my house, a 5 acre basin a block away, two private club fields, and about 15 minutes away is North Branch Park, part of the Somerset County Park System, where there is a flying field, I have my permit to fly there but haven't been there yet to get my check flight.

edit:This is hillsborough
BrownEyedFool is online now Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Last edited by BrownEyedFool; May 23, 2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old May 23, 2012, 05:13 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,525 Posts
Need advice / opinions

So, which would be better as my next TH plane -- the Crack Pitts 32" biplane or the Telink 43" red SU-29?

Or, something else???

I've flown the Extra Slick almost to death , and am looking for the next great TH experience.

Which is a better next step......the bipe.....or the larger wingspan?

(It's difficult to chooose between two great options! And don't say, "get both." I'm short on $$$ and storage space........)

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old May 23, 2012, 05:38 PM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
So, which would be better as my next TH plane -- the Crack Pitts 32" biplane or the Telink 43" red SU-29?

Or, something else???

I've flown the Extra Slick almost to death , and am looking for the next great TH experience.

Which is a better next step......the bipe.....or the larger wingspan?

(It's difficult to chooose between two great options! And don't say, "get both." I'm short on $$$ and storage space........)

Difficult to compare the TH/RCF 32" models and the Telink models, they are totally different animals.
The Crack Yak is pure genius, I have yet to try my Crack Pitts and the Telink's are great, but in a different way.
I won't say get both - you need all three

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old May 23, 2012, 05:46 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smart View Post
I won't say get both - you need all three
Mike
aaaaaarghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not trying to figure out which is the better plane..........just, which is better as a second-step -- if you can't have them all at once.........

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old May 23, 2012, 06:10 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
If money is real tight and the Slick is really done for, as in unflyable, go for the Crack Yak or Crack Pitts and use the same gear you had in the Slick. I imagine, and it is imagine as like Mike I haven't flown my Pitts yet, but I would think the Crack Yak would take more abuse, purely down to the fact there is less to get broken.

The Telinks are fantastic and are in fact a real progression, a step closer to a balsa bird if you like. They have much more mass and therefore inertia to them, this is a plus point but it does mean you need more room to fly them in. The Yak was my first foamie and it still gets an outing on regular occasions, in fact it's been out for the last four days straight. If money is tight you have to consider the extra costs involved in them though, not just the cost of the airframe and gear but a whole load of suitable size packs if you don't already have them, a better charger if you don't have one that will handle the bigger packs, other bits and pieces like connectors of your choice and charge leads to go with them. If your budget allows and the Slick is still flyable I'd go for the Telink to give you more variation, you can always get another 32inch at another time.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old May 23, 2012, 06:11 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Well, considering it's been said the Crack Bipe is like a relaxed Crack Yak, which might say to me it will be a bit like the Slick ?? dunno. Better is not the best term. Different.

What do you mean by second step?

If you want something very different, then go for the Telink. I think there is no doubt about that.
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old May 23, 2012, 10:58 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,890 Posts
I just had my maiden on the new Red Scheme Telink SU-29 and can say this...

Very different plane than the 32" planes. The big Telink definitely flies more like balsa, very much so.
Mine came in a tad heavy at 30 ounces (using 2100 3S packs) but handles wind very well.

See the pics and comments at my build thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1650118

Hopefully I will get some video this weekend.

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JC Spohr; May 24, 2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old May 23, 2012, 11:59 PM View Post
Bruce.liu
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement. It is temporarily hidden while Bruce.liu edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old May 24, 2012, 10:45 AM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
Go for the Crack Yak! It's hard to beat the fun factor with that.
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old May 24, 2012, 10:57 AM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
I was just looking at a FF 34 inch model's thread and it comes in an airfoiled version. It would be so cool if TH made a 32 inch CY or ES with an airfoil. Having the Flash I know my ES would handle better in the wind with an airfoil. I fly outdoors almost all the time and there is usually quite a bit of wind. The ES flies great in 10 or 12 MPH wind, but it would be even more fantastic with the airfoil. Indoors the flat airfoil may not matter.
e-gull is offline Find More Posts by e-gull
Old May 24, 2012, 12:13 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,865 Posts
Anyone got a little slick? I've got one but I'm not really sure I like how it flys. It fits in the back of my car though and I fly it every day at lunch.

Is the big extra slick close in size to it? The slick barely fits in the trunk as I have to move the ailerons and elevator to make it fit.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz