HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2012, 09:02 PM
morgantown, wv
Joined Mar 2004
2,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3flyguy3 View Post
Got the paraboard from epbuddy today, Saturday (ordered Wednesday). Knocked out 6 batteries in no time! I had been charging 1 battery at 1C prior to this board (1 hour +). Learned I can charge up to 5C by checking out this board. Then learned about paraboards! Nice. Thanks all.
Just curious to what you set your charger at when using the paraboard and 6 packs. I just ordered my paraboard and charger from them this morning and hope to get it pretty quick. I am only a couple hours from them. I will be charging the gens ace 450mah 2s packs and want to charge them at a safe amp setting.
buster7467 is offline Find More Posts by buster7467
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2012, 09:25 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Buster, when parallel charging, add up the total mah. For example:

You're going to charge 4 .450mah bats. 4 x .450 = 1.8amps. So you'd set your charger at 1.8 charge rate for those 4 batteries for a 1C charge.

At 2C for 4 .450mah bats: (4 x .450) x 2 = 3.6amps

At 4C and 4 .450mah bats: (4 x .450) x 4 = 7.2amps

At 4C and 6 .450mah bats: (6 x .450) x 4 = 10.8amps

At 5C and 6 .450mah bats: (6 x .450) x 5 = 13.5amps

Stick with 1C charge rates until you feel confident with parallel charging. And just like a carpenter, measure twice, cut once. I always double-check my calculations...
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old May 20, 2012, 09:57 PM
morgantown, wv
Joined Mar 2004
2,439 Posts
I ordered 10 of the gens ace packs and i have 2 of the 2s Twisted Hobbys packs. The TH packs are actually working great for me but the gens ace sounds like a deal. I can't wait to have all 12 charged and ready to go. Thanks for the info.
buster7467 is offline Find More Posts by buster7467
Old May 21, 2012, 03:20 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
What shunyata said. I have the Gens Ace batteries too and Thunder AC6 charger. I set the charger for 1.8 amps for 1C
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Old May 21, 2012, 03:23 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3flyguy3 View Post
What shunyata said. I have the Gens Ace batteries too and Thunder AC6 charger. I set the charger for 1.8 amps for 1C
That's for 4 packs in parallel... just to be clear for those who missed that earlier.

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old May 21, 2012, 03:35 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post
That's for 4 packs in parallel... just to be clear for those who missed that earlier.

JC
Sorry, let me correct myself. I charged six (6) at 2.7 (1C). I wasn't paying attention to what I typed.

Thanks JC not only for the clearing that up but also with all the help you've given me.
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Old May 21, 2012, 03:42 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,555 Posts
So I'm now in the club thanks to a long time member and the classifieds.

Yedge and an Extra Slick v1.

Have some housekeeping to do on the Yedge. The rudder's separated, think it snagged on the trunk of the car. Any recommendations for re-attaching it? I have Welder's and am buying some blenderm tape, which is preferred?

Aileron was partly separated, I blue taped the end of the wing to hold the aileron gap tight, ran a bead of welders, smeared it with my finger, then scraped it with a business card. Came up nice and firm, but now I'm concerned it may be too thick so not as flexible. Do I sand the welders seam down some now?

Also looking at replacing the pushrods and horns to get more length adjustment and slightly larger standoff from the airframe, and tips or recommendations of where to grab them cheap or fashion them myself? BP Hobbies is right around the corner for example.

Got the Yedge in the air on saturday night, even with the rudder taped to be non-mobile and significant wind it was a lot of fun to just throw it up there. Really liking this as a learning plane.

The Extra Slick is awaiting maiden I had to root out a second receiver. Waited for wind to die down yesterday afternoon so I could maiden it. Waited in vain, so it's still waiting.
BrownEyedFool is online now Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old May 21, 2012, 05:49 PM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
Yedge! Nice name drop...that's a classic. What color is it?
Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0
Old May 21, 2012, 05:57 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,492 Posts
Been doing alot of reading on chargers and it seems the thunder AC6 is very popular. Looking to buy a new one. The one I have been using struggles to get to 4.2v per cell. It came with a heli I bought awhile back.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
Old May 21, 2012, 06:02 PM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
I have 2 of these and they've been going strong for over 3 years.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ENUINE%5F.html

Can't find the power supply though, they like to change things up
It's a SkyRC IMAX-401
Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0
Last edited by Dan5.0; May 21, 2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old May 21, 2012, 07:05 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan5.0 View Post
Red one, flown many many times by one of the regulars here. Mine after a furtive parking deck purchase I know it's an older airframe, so is the Extra Slick v1, but it was a nice cheap Rx ready method to get some low stress 3d training, which may help me not mulch my UMX Beast on launch.

edit:
Dan you'll be happy to know that when I read through the 67 page Yedge thread a number of your comments on setup and preferred receivers made it into a word doc printed to go in my field box.

edit2: In terms of charging stations, you can go ridiculous and stick 2 server supplies (from feathermerchant) and a powerlab 6 equipped with their MPA parallel adapter into a case from Harbor Freight and charge 6 packs at once, often in 30 minutes or so. What I did, and I love it, can charge 6 2200mah 3S packs at a little over 2c easily
BrownEyedFool is online now Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old May 21, 2012, 07:57 PM
Mesquite Tx
Joined Jan 2008
263 Posts
Any chance of TH selling the EPP trusses separately for folks with other planes that could use some stiffening up. Id buy a set right now for the lead feather yak I'm building for my wife. Too lazy to cut my own.
Bigugly is offline Find More Posts by Bigugly
Old May 22, 2012, 07:47 AM
220 221 Whatever it takes
USA, IL, Belleville
Joined Dec 2009
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigugly View Post
Any chance of TH selling the EPP trusses separately for folks with other planes that could use some stiffening up. Id buy a set right now for the lead feather yak I'm building for my wife. Too lazy to cut my own.
I would like a pair (in white preferably) for my twisted 88 that is twisted. LOL
captdave221 is offline Find More Posts by captdave221
Old May 22, 2012, 06:49 PM
The Twisted Elf
USA, NJ, Trenton
Joined Nov 2010
453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool View Post
Red one, flown many many times by one of the regulars here. Mine after a furtive parking deck purchase I know it's an older airframe, so is the Extra Slick v1, but it was a nice cheap Rx ready method to get some low stress 3d training, which may help me not mulch my UMX Beast on launch.

edit:
Dan you'll be happy to know that when I read through the 67 page Yedge thread a number of your comments on setup and preferred receivers made it into a word doc printed to go in my field box.

edit2: In terms of charging stations, you can go ridiculous and stick 2 server supplies (from feathermerchant) and a powerlab 6 equipped with their MPA parallel adapter into a case from Harbor Freight and charge 6 packs at once, often in 30 minutes or so. What I did, and I love it, can charge 6 2200mah 3S packs at a little over 2c easily
browneyedfool where do you fly ,it seems that i live close to you,maybe we can hook up and fly
lugnutz is offline Find More Posts by lugnutz
Old May 22, 2012, 06:49 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan5.0 View Post
I thought the Yedges were extinct!
Gravitycheat is online now Find More Posts by Gravitycheat