HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2012, 03:33 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Yep that's what I'm goona do. Found the gun but no glue. Welders it is.
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2012, 04:26 PM
Joined Jul 2011
721 Posts
On my Telink Edge 540, I have noticed with my original ESC that the motor will sometimes start in the wrong direction. If I increase throttle, it will then stop. If it starts in the correct direction, then throttle behaves as expected.

The replacement ESC I ordered doesn't seem to do this. (I haven't observed wrong direction starts).

Is this fairly common? Does it indicate a bad ESC? A bad motor? Is it normal?

I have never seen this behavior on my 32" birds.

Thanks!
Madratter is offline Find More Posts by Madratter
Old May 12, 2012, 04:38 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,654 Posts
Some ESC's on larger setups will stutter/barely rotate in the opposite direction for a half a turn before correcting and running properly...the ESC doesn't know where the motor is or what coils to energize when it's not turning, so it has to guess until it starts and can read the position correctly. If it runs backwards for more than a second then it's either a bad ESC or a poor connection to the ESC...make sure your bullets are properly seated, and if it can't be fixed, a new ESC is a good idea.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old May 12, 2012, 04:58 PM
Joined Jul 2011
721 Posts
Thanks. It will actually sustain it at low throttle levels. Looks like that ESC goes into the only-use-if-desperate parts bin.
Madratter is offline Find More Posts by Madratter
Old May 12, 2012, 05:10 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
ESC motoring timing off maybe?

edit: Also, try setting the throttle position on the ESC as well. Cody could be right, though. Motor bullets might be wonky.
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old May 12, 2012, 06:58 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,924 Posts
If you have any interest in the Bipe, a short while ago, I posted some thoughts after my first flights with it this morning.
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old May 12, 2012, 09:40 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
I've been threatening to do this, now I have.

Silly Edge (0 min 31 sec)
Old May 12, 2012, 09:50 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunyata View Post
ROFLMAO

Flight vid, please!

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
RCG Plus Member
Old May 13, 2012, 03:52 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunyata View Post

http://youtu.be/wj0cX-U0Uek
wooow that's crazy.

I thought about doing a two servo wing but never thought of three. Ingenious mechanical setup on what was the aileron servo. Crow braking and everything Why stop there, how about a four servo wing. You must have a big ass rx on there. Interested to hear how it handles the extra weight and if the braking is effective. You could have some mad mixes going on there, how about crow braking mixed to your throttle channel. Good luck with the flight's, have fun.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old May 13, 2012, 08:47 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,541 Posts
I'm with the rest of em. I'd love to see it in action. That is pretty cool.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
Old May 13, 2012, 10:09 AM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Avi, I thought about 4 servos but decided that this first round I'd stick with three, that way I can return to stock without much concern. If this results in some unique flying, then I'll try 4. Not getting enough throw on the ailerons, will improve that if flight proves it's worth it.

It has an Orange 8 channel FASST rx - it's HUGE in size and weighs a ton. Also, the ESC can't handle the extra servos and I ran out of my stash of UBECs, a new batch should be here this next week. Then we'll see.

It is getting a bit porky...
Old May 14, 2012, 10:48 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
4,075 Posts
All in a spin...

Quick question guys... I've always liked flat spinning my planes on the slope, but despite my Sbach flying awesome in every other respect I'm yet to find a way of initiating a nice, flat spin. Any tips? Is this all about CG and control inputs, or do these flat foamies not spin well because of all the side area? All suggestions welcomed...

Matt

PS - On searching this thread for "spins" I came across two acronyms to describe different types - KE and KF. I assume KE indicates a knife edge spin, but what does KF mean?
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
Old May 14, 2012, 10:59 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
While you're at it with that funky setup, you should throw one of those new aero variable pitch prop motors on there.
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
Old May 14, 2012, 02:03 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB View Post
Quick question guys... I've always liked flat spinning my planes on the slope, but despite my Sbach flying awesome in every other respect I'm yet to find a way of initiating a nice, flat spin. Any tips? Is this all about CG and control inputs, or do these flat foamies not spin well because of all the side area? All suggestions welcomed...

Matt

PS - On searching this thread for "spins" I came across two acronyms to describe different types - KE and KF. I assume KE indicates a knife edge spin, but what does KF mean?
My guess is KF is a typo, can't think what else it would be. I find it hard to do a real nice flat spin with these too. I never have worked out what I've done different when one works out and looks good. I think maybe it just a very fine balance of just the right amount of throw, yes you can have too much, and just the right amount of power, not enough and it just falls out of it, too much and it flips out of it. Practice makes perfect
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old May 14, 2012, 05:00 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
Twisted Hobbys EDGE 540 (5 min 39 sec)

At about :42, :57, 1:42, 2:20, and 3:35, ect. Daniel did some upright and KE tiny spirals. Would you call that Flat and KE Spins? Does the plane need to be more stalled? Does the plane need to rotate about one leg of the plane or on it's wing tip?
e-gull is offline Find More Posts by e-gull