HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:59 PM
I like turtles
United States, FL, Leesburg
Joined Dec 2012
43 Posts
Well times are tough so ill spend the money on nice servos. Heard that's a must. Motor and esc and batteries will likely come from hk. Radio is spektrum. I will run a nicer setup as I can afford them.
Mattfoo83 is offline Find More Posts by Mattfoo83
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:49 PM
scratch-built
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
1,001 Posts
The World Models Super Taiji EP (40)

Mattfoo83,

It's important to have good servos, I like to use digital servo's for their holding power(less blowback) and their centering ability. Have you decided on which servos you're going to use?

It's also important to use a ESC that is rated about 15% above the Amperage that you think your electrical system will need. It will change, depending on whether you are going to use a 4s or 5s set-up.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Last edited by Jim Lee; Jan 28, 2013 at 04:25 PM. Reason: edited text
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:55 PM
I like turtles
Joined Dec 2012
43 Posts
This will honesty be the first plane I put quality equipment in. I like to over power my planes. I like the e flight motors. But also have had very good luck with turnigy motors. As far as servos dunno
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:19 AM
I like turtles
Joined Dec 2012
43 Posts
Just to clarify I need micro digital servos right? I'm not a servo guru.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:22 AM
I like turtles
Joined Dec 2012
43 Posts
Also I have both the eflight power 25 and power 32. I'm thinking the 25 would work nicely or go for the 32? I like using materials I already own.

Edit: I WAS planning on using a 4s battery but I can use a 5s. I may get the hang of it with a 4 then reprop it with a 5 later
Last edited by Mattfoo83; Jan 28, 2013 at 07:28 AM. Reason: battery edit
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:11 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,001 Posts

Mattfoo83,

Your E-flite Power 32 will work ok. You could start with a 4s lipo between 2600mAh and 3300mAh. I wouldn't go any bigger. Probably a 13 x 6.5e APC prop and a 65 to 70 Amp ESC. I would start with a 5min flight and then see how much mAh you have to put back in the battery. I try to stay around the 80% depletion rate for my batteries. I've got 4s Batteries that are 4 yrs old and still work ok.

Then later you could go to a 5s and prop down to, Say a 12 x 6 or something in that range.

Yes, you need to use micro servos. I'm using Hyperion Atlas Digital servos, A Metal gear servo on the Rudder and Elevator and a Hyperion Digital plastic gear servo on the Ailerons. These servos are $29.95 for the aileron servos and $34.95 for the Rudder and Elevator servos. They are Hp DS13-TMB for the Rud and El and Hp DS13-TCB for the ailerons.

I'm not familiar with the digital servos that hobbyking sells, So I can't recommend any of them. I'd post a question about the Hobbyking servo's Here in the forums and see what the feeling about them are. I've went down the road of low priced servo's, But it ended up costing me a airplane, when the gears stripped on the elevator servo. I no longer use the low cost servos in my planes, It's less expensive to buy quality servo's, then it is to replace the complete airplane. But, That's just my experience with them.

Here's a link to a Micro metal gear servo from Hobbyking that fits the requirements and also has a decent price. I don't know if they are good servos or not, but I'd check around and see what the history is on them. (US Warehouse)
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...arehouse_.html

J
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:51 AM
I like turtles
Joined Dec 2012
43 Posts
I'm more in likely support the lhs that I buy the kit from and run nice hitec servos from there. Ill buy the rest off line. I'm getting really good with my newest 3d so I hope to have no problems with the taijI.

Another question when putting the elevator servo in the rear I have to build a mount correct? Once I start the build ill answer my own questions however. As of last night I got little delayed on being able to purchase the plane but should be real soon. One of my son's broke a tooth so that gets taken care of first.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:15 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,001 Posts

Mattfoo83,

By all means, support you local hobby shop. We had two hobby shops that were local to me, But with the economy going down the tubes, They both went out of business. Now I have to order everything online or travel 80 miles to a Hobby Shop that has the item(s) that I need.

About building a elevator servo mount. I would say yes, but only because the elevator is connected with two pushrods. One thing That I thought about, Was that, If I should build another Super Taiji 40, would be to use a laminated ply joiner to join the elevator half's and just use one pushrod with a carbon fiber tube for a stiffener over the wire pushrod. Then mount the elevator servo on the opposite side of the fuselage from the rudder servo.

Sorry to hear about your Sons tooth. Hope all is better soon.

J
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:53 PM
I like turtles
Joined Dec 2012
43 Posts
Oh my god! The suspense is killing me. I've also decided to retire my old dx6 and step up to a dx8.......... I have about 1k to invest but if I can save some money (of course) id love to. Id like to build the plane for around 400. Which for searching I find is possible. Ill have the rx and I have both 4s and 5s batteries.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:03 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,001 Posts

Mattfoo83,

After looking at your Avatar, I see now why you are chomping at the bit to get the Super Taiji. You pretty much have flying weather year round.

Since you have a Dx 6i You will probably like the Dx8 as it's patterened after the Dx6i. I bought a new Dx8 in Aug of 2012. I am having trouble geting used to the feel of it. I have a JR X9303 and it's shaped different than the Dx8, Lookin back, I should have bought a JR X9503 as it's basically an improved JR X9303.

It shouldn't be too much longer before you have the Super Taiji in your hands and then the fun begins. Mine arrived in excellent condition and everything fit as it was supposed to. Didn't take long to get it ready to fly as I already had all of the neccessary gear for it. It's a good flying plane, But requires some work to get the C/G back where it belongs.

J
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:27 AM
Joined Apr 2011
44 Posts
Out flying with my fleet of Worlds' 40 size e pattern plane, including their brand new EPO Commander.

Adrian
riot3d is offline Find More Posts by riot3d
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:32 AM
I like turtles
Joined Dec 2012
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lee View Post
Mattfoo83,

Since you have a Dx 6i You will probably like the Dx8 as it's patterened after the Dx6i. I bought a new Dx8 in Aug of 2012.

J
No not the dx6i........ I have the dx6. Dsm1 baby!
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:21 AM
I like turtles
Joined Dec 2012
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by riot3d View Post
Out flying with my fleet of Worlds' 40 size e pattern plane, including their brand new EPO Commander.

Adrian
The epo is nice but I have way to many foamies. How's it fly?
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:57 AM
Joined Apr 2011
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattfoo83 View Post
The epo is nice but I have way to many foamies. How's it fly?
Flies real nice. I tested the plane in pretty windy condition, & it handles with no problem, it snaps clean & knife good. I'm still trying to determine the correct cg, will fly again soon.

Out of the three, the Super Taiji flies the best, I added some down thrust & positive wing incidence to it. Most likely, I will add some down thrust to the Commander as well.
riot3d is offline Find More Posts by riot3d
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:30 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattfoo83 View Post
No not the dx6i........ I have the dx6. Dsm1 baby!
The Dx 6 is a good radio, I bought one new when they first came out, so I could get off of 72MHz. There were too many people that would come out to the field and not check to see if the 72MHz that they were flying on WAS CLEAR.

I never had a ounce of trouble, With my Dx6. I bought a Dx7 when they came out and never had any trouble with it. I bought my JR X9303 and Had to have the RF board replaced right off the bat. It's been trouble free since. I haven't flown my Dx8. Im going to put it in one of my 3D foamy's first and wring it out for a while, Before putting it in a Pattern Plane.

J