HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2011, 03:31 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,075 Posts
Discussion
Getting back into hobby, very confused by brand compatibility!

I'm confused. I was into RC a couple decades ago and it was simple. Pretty much Futaba and Airtronics, they were not compatible. There were other brands back then as well, but not like today. Now you go on a website and it just says servo. What the heck? Servo for what? what brand? What type of plug? Does it not matter anymore? And all these ESC's and gyros and receivers. Again, not a whimper of brand compatibility. My ARF stuff already have cheap, but adequate radios. But I am thinking about getting a radio that I can use with maybe a new heli I might get in the future. or maybe I want to fly foamies. I can get the airframe and add my own electronics. Or maybe BNF. Was playing around with the shopping cart at Hobbyking today with a setup for a 450 heli and no idea if the components I chose work together. Seems like the Turnigy 9x is popular around here. Does this one have model memory? Can't change trims each time.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2011, 04:47 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,601 Posts
Airtronic servos used to have different polarity than JR/Futaba but the newer Z-type are compatible. BNF are mostly DSM2 type which work only with JR/Spektrum DSM2/DSMX transmiters. The Turnigy 9X does have memory for several models and is chearfuly cheap but QC is poor so don't expect too much:
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/imax9x.shtml
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/turnigy9xv2review.shtml
coriolan is online now Find More Posts by coriolan
Last edited by coriolan; Oct 04, 2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 04:48 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
22,266 Posts
With todays 3 wire servo it's pretty much standard, with the odd exception or futaba with there little excess lip on the connector that can easily be trimmed off.

As for radio and receivers, look at it this way: with 2.4ghz radio it's pretty much brand specific and you can't interchange them.

There are some exceptions where overseas manufacturer who have no copy right laws simply manufacturer compatible receivers for popular brand of radios. Example 5$ receivers for spektrum radios...
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Oct 04, 2011, 06:50 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
Now you go on a website and it just says servo. What the heck? Servo for what? what brand? What type of plug? Does it not matter anymore?
No, it doesn't matter.

Quote:
And all these ESC's and gyros and receivers. Again, not a whimper of brand compatibility.
Likewise. There's no compatibility issue.

Quote:
Or maybe BNF.
If you really mean BNF, as in Blade, Hobbyzone, etc. from Horizon Hobby, then it will only work with Spektrum (and
Hobbyzone, etc.) transmitters. As noted above, 2.4 radios have proprietary protocols. You can't mix and match.

Quote:
Seems like the Turnigy 9x is popular around here. Does this one have model memory? Can't change trims each time.
9x has 8 model memories. It uses a FlySky transmitter module and thus works only with FlySky (or Hobby King) receivers. It's very good value for someone prepared to tinker but has questionable quality control and no service.

Sounds to me more like you are a candidate for Spektrum DX6i.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Oct 04, 2011, 07:13 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,075 Posts
Wow, this answers my questions. Thanks a lot guys. I was aware of the DSM standard and wondered if the Turnigy had that or not. The Spektrum sounds like the way to go when I want to upgrade to something better it's really not that expensive for what it does, if the quality is good. The turnigy is so cheap, that makes it tempting but if it fails in flight with a 450, I fail to see the value.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 08:03 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
Wow, this answers my questions. Thanks a lot guys. I was aware of the DSM standard and wondered if the Turnigy had that or not. The Spektrum sounds like the way to go when I want to upgrade to something better it's really not that expensive for what it does, if the quality is good. The turnigy is so cheap, that makes it tempting but if it fails in flight with a 450, I fail to see the value.
I want to be clear. The 9x is very good value, but it's not for everyone. What it lacks that the DX6i provides is: decent manual, warranty, replacement or repair service, good quality control and DSM2 compatibility (for the BNF models). If you can fix it yourself, it may be just what you need, but otherwise, no.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 09:48 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Kilmarnock
Joined Aug 2011
4 Posts
Not sure if I am missing something here, but with the BNF models and hence Spektrum DSM2 compatibility issues with the 9x, wouldn't replacing the receiver in these BNF models with a Turnigy 9x receiver costing about $9 get rid of the compatibility problems?
Flyingboy101 is offline Find More Posts by Flyingboy101
Old Oct 04, 2011, 09:56 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingboy101 View Post
Not sure if I am missing something here, but with the BNF models and hence Spektrum DSM2 compatibility issues with the 9x, wouldn't replacing the receiver in these BNF models with a Turnigy 9x receiver costing about $9 get rid of the compatibility problems?
It would in some cases if the receiver would fit (the FlySky receiver is bigger than the usual AR500 in many of the models). In fact, you could just buy the cheaper PNP version of the model without receiver, or a "receiver ready" model from other suppliers, and use the FlySky receiver.

But many of the most sought-after BNF models are the micros, which use Spektrum technology for which there is no ready substitute.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 02:18 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
I want to be clear. The 9x is very good value, but it's not for everyone. What it lacks that the DX6i provides is: decent manual, warranty, replacement or repair service, good quality control and DSM2 compatibility (for the BNF models). If you can fix it yourself, it may be just what you need, but otherwise, no.
You forgot to say what Spektrum lacks that the 9X provides ...
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Oct 05, 2011, 05:47 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,075 Posts
Yeah, the micros are nice cause I have a nice park close by, but I think it's big enough for a hand launched prop glider which I would like to start out with. Looks like I could go either way. I am pretty handy with things, you have to be in this hobby. Good to know it's as easy as buying a cheap receiver. And now I understand servos are servos. Makes things a lot easier. Even good servos are cheap, cheap ones are almost free at $3 a piece!
Old Oct 05, 2011, 06:29 AM
Sao Paulo, Brasil
Joined Aug 2004
598 Posts
About Turnigy 9x.

I tested a lot of systems, maybe not as much as the guy from rcmodelreviews , but enough for some advices:
- Avoid DSM2, in a brief report, this system is no longer a good idea, it has severe project failures that make it more subjected to interference then others, including Turnigy.
- Avoid DX8, there are recalls and strange things happening all time. A colleague was using it, turned of one day, on the next day the aileron was not working anymore. He upgraded and solved, but it was not supposed to happen.
- Airtronics is nice, I tested and they are rock solid even with a lot of noise sources near;
- Turnigy 9 is nice, I testes at near 7km (6800m) and works fine. Of course there's lack of quality control, but if you're not new in hobby you have knowledge enough to open the case and visually check if there are no cold-soldering or broken wires. When it work, it works really fine, so just do a visual check, range check, check if all controls are working and you will be safe. Actually several friends of mine installed the same RF modules on 72MHz Futabas to upgrade them to 2.4GHz and have nice 8ch receivers at US$9 each, not US$150 each...
- Hitec is fine, works fine, and Hitec Aurora 9 is really easy to use

Currently I'm using:
- Turnigy 9x with original receivers
- Turnigy 9x with FrSky module, telemetry and telemetry receivers
- Hitec Aurora 9 with Hitec receivers
- Hitec Aurora 9 with FrSky module and FrSky receivers
alexcmag is offline Find More Posts by alexcmag
Old Oct 05, 2011, 06:43 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcmag View Post
- Turnigy 9 is nice, I testes at near 7km (6800m) and works fine. Of course there's lack of quality control, but if you're not new in hobby you have knowledge enough to open the case and visually check if there are no cold-soldering or broken wires. When it work, it works really fine, so just do a visual check, range check, check if all controls are working and you will be safe.
My emphasis. The 9x is very good value (I have one) but not for beginners or anyone reluctant to open the back of the TX. Many would be much better off with a Spektrum DX6i, for which Orange receivers are even cheaper than the those for the 9x.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 03:45 PM
warbird enthusiast
USA, IN, West Lafayette
Joined Sep 2010
17 Posts
Aurora 9

I started out as a noob a year ago with a Hitec Aurora 9 (after accidentally dropping CA on the sticks of my Spektrum DX5 that came with my Apprentice and before I discovered debonder). It was pretty easy to learn, other than of course figuring out what all of the functions do (still a few to learn - haven't figured out my fullhouse sailplane yet). I only fly electric and the build in battery telemetry without satellite modules or cost is the way to go. You can get Optima 6's in 3 packs for about $43 each, so much more affordable than Futaba. They have smaller Minimas now too, but no telemetry as I understand it. The Optima 6 Lite has telemetry, but no 3 packs. Spektrum seems OK and they have telemetry; I would get the new DX7 if I went that way given the supposed DX8 problems - but the Aurora supports 9 channels. I have an ultra-micro, and my solution there is to add the Spektrum module for the Futaba DM8 to the Aurora 9 - see some other forums on how to do that; I haven't wired that up yet though. The GPS is great on Hitec, but they are really falling behind without the iPhone app they had posted about last year but Spektrum has actually implemented. Some of their electric telemetry and accessories has been slow to get in stores too. My club mostly flys Spektrum or older non 2.4 systems but many are converting to electric and 2.4, but they do consider my radio to be pretty fancy (even if my flight skills aren't quite as good yet). They haven't switched, though, because they have too many DSM2 receivers already. I considered Airtronics too but like Futaba they had no telemetry. I have the Hitec voice announcer on order because looking down at the screen for telemetry can be dangerous - just use an alarm on the battery voltage to know when to land. I would look at a Futaba if I was very serious and started flying 12 channels, expensive models, or XFC-type stuff, but those are pricey.
Master Onion 5 is offline Find More Posts by Master Onion 5
Old Oct 09, 2011, 09:10 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,075 Posts
Very helpful info. I think I'm going to risk it with the Turnigy 9x. I'm used to tinkering with stuff and so far none of the cheap Chinese off brand stuff I have bought requires any tinkering, it all works well, regardless of people's warnings. I'm sure eventually I'll get something that requires tinkering, but that goes with the territory. I just have to decide now what to get with it from Hobby King. Was thinking about getting an HK450 heli, but it's too big for the park. Then thought to get a HK250, but it's too small and twitchy to learn CP on. Not quite ready to get a glider yet. Argh! Gotta have a reason t get the radio.