HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2011, 03:20 PM
United States, OR
Joined Jan 2007
164 Posts
Discussion
Byron F-15 EDF conversion

I am gathering all the items for the above conversion. The plane is ready for paint and power plants and was never flown as ICDF, that is why I did not post this in the glow to electric. If you think I should move it, please let me know.

What I would like to know is, what power plant to use.

I would like a somewhat simple and straightforward conversion, I plan to fly off of grass and I already have a pair of Lehner 2280's and a supply of Byron,Dynamax and turbax fans. I am open to your suggestions.

I contacted Ejf about Byron conversions, in waiting for an invoice I have changed my mind partially.

I like the Turbofans because of the direct bolt on opportunity and the really high thrust but am unsure of the company. This is not a slam, but looking at the website it is somewhat put together and very little info on the site and I do alot of internet shopping.

TamJets are at the top of my list but not sure if I want to make the mods to the plane to make them fit.

After I have all of the pieces I will begin a build thread so you all can give me suggestions on the build as well.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts......?
inpieces is offline Find More Posts by inpieces
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2011, 03:39 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,922 Posts
Check this thread out.

I would still go with an electric version of the Byron fan. Simple and works great.
Bob
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old Oct 04, 2011, 04:03 PM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
3,799 Posts
Believe what Bob says about e-power.^^^^^^^^ I have flown the Byron F-86 on e-power.....worked great. I used the aftermarket "Hurricane" fan which fits the byron shroud.

I am looking for a set of wings for the Byron F-86............know of any lying around?
Madmax1965 is offline Find More Posts by Madmax1965
Last edited by Madmax1965; Oct 04, 2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 04:20 PM
United States, OR
Joined Jan 2007
164 Posts
Thanks Bob I have read many of your posts and you along with a few other guys are the reason I wanted to go with the Byron fan conversion. Unfortunately I have had a hard time getting in touch with EJF and getting an invoice. This is not meant to stir up a ruckus but I have the funds and am ready to make the purchase.

Madmax I will check my shelf(s), I think I have a complete Byron f86.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 04:30 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax1965 View Post
I am looking for a set of wings for the Byron F-86............know of any lying around?
I assume they are foam cores? You may drop Bob at Flying foam a note and see if he can cut you a set.

http://www.flyingfoam.com/

If he hasn't, perhaps inpieces can trace the root and tip ribs, and give you a plan view of the wing for Bob to cut?
strictlyscale is offline Find More Posts by strictlyscale
Old Oct 04, 2011, 04:41 PM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpieces View Post
Thanks Bob I have read many of your posts and you along with a few other guys are the reason I wanted to go with the Byron fan conversion. Unfortunately I have had a hard time getting in touch with EJF and getting an invoice. This is not meant to stir up a ruckus but I have the funds and am ready to make the purchase.

Madmax I will check my shelf(s), I think I have a complete Byron f86.
I personally would not bother with the Electric Jet Factory, I have had nothing but problems with them. If they do email you back it will be at least a week, and orders will take about 6 weeks. It takes forever to get them to do anything, I usually give up on a project before I get help from them.

XPS with their Dynamax conversion, you will get an instant response to questions and I got my fan shipped immediately. I'm not saying that you need to use their system, it's just what I have experience with.
Dionysus is offline Find More Posts by Dionysus
Old Oct 04, 2011, 06:30 PM
United States, OR
Joined Jan 2007
164 Posts
Thanks Dionysus,

I have had similar results with contact but understand that everyone is busy. XPS responded within hours of my request, the only problem is I have the motors and only need the fan or a conversion to use my Byron fan and lehner motors.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 09:32 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruff View Post
Check this thread out.

I would still go with an electric version of the Byron fan. Simple and works great.
Bob
Bob, do you not do an adapter for the Byron fan, or know someone that does? I seem to remember you having something to do with that.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Oct 04, 2011, 09:56 PM
United States, OR
Joined Jan 2007
164 Posts
I am looking for 3 adapters if anyone has them. 2 for Lehner mounted into Byron fans and one for a Lehner into a dynamax fan.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 03:26 PM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
3,799 Posts
I had a set of foam cores cut one time for the Sabre.......terrible job.....I would prefer a set of Byron cores.....old or new. I lost an elevator servo and the crash trashed my wings......amazing the fuselage only had a few scratches.
This is my plane and there is a build thread for those interested. Inpieces there is lots of info on converting the Byrons on the F-86 build site.
Madmax1965 is offline Find More Posts by Madmax1965
Old Oct 05, 2011, 04:23 PM
Everett, WA
Joined Aug 2002
659 Posts
As an alternative, You can make a plywood adapter plate. Lehner 2280 is 44mm OD, it should fit inside the Byron housing.
Attach the plate with epoxy & screws:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=27
eaticus is offline Find More Posts by eaticus
Old Oct 05, 2011, 11:53 PM
United States, OR
Joined Jan 2007
164 Posts
I went ahead and ordered 2 EJF conversions and one Dynamax extreme fan package tonight (for another project).

Thank you everyone for the help. I will begin a build/conversion thread once I receive the parts from EJF.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 11:54 PM
United States, OR
Joined Jan 2007
164 Posts
Madmax,

I did find a complete Byron F-86 kit in the back of my shop if you are interested in the whole thing......? If you ask nice I will pull it out and send you a copy of the root and tip drawings so you can cut the wings on your own.

Let me know.
Last edited by inpieces; Oct 05, 2011 at 11:55 PM. Reason: edit
Old Oct 06, 2011, 06:28 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I'de just stick with this thread and make this your build thread instead of starting another one.

I'm assuming it got too difficult to sell with shipping, so you decided to keep it and build it instead, yes? glad to see it's getting a good home either way.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Oct 06, 2011, 06:47 AM
United States, OR
Joined Jan 2007
164 Posts
Ok, Thanks for the advice Rich. Actually I have 3 and just wanted to get 2 out of the way as I have changed my mind on the builds and only plan to complete one now.