SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 04, 2011, 05:34 AM
Dublin, Ireland
Joined Nov 2010
71 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum DX8 or Hitec Aurora 9???

Due to my expanding hangar of planes, I have run out of memory slots on my DX6i. Now I could just delete a plane from memory and programme another in but I have had 3 unexplained crashes in the past month, which is 3 more than I've had in the past 2 years! I strongly suspect a radio problem with the DX6i but HH in the UK won't respond to my emails.

I was planning on upgrading my radio in a few months but these recent crashes have moved the purchase to the top of my list. Despite the recent issues with my DX6i, it had performed flawlessly for almost a year (I had a DX5e prior to that) and so I'm not ruling out another Spektrum radio like the DX8. Now that Spektrum appear to have resolved the initial software bugs, this radio appears to be getting quite good reviews. However a friend of mine has suggested that I look at Hitec's Aurora 9 which in his opinion is a far superior radio.

To be honest, my focus has been on Spektrum's range of radios and I know very little about the Aurora 9 apart from what I've read on the manufacturer's website. However I 'd like opinions from guys who actually use either of these radios and what they like/don't like about them.

My current fleet of planes consists of Parkzone warbirds, a couple of gliders and two micro helis. However, I want to buy a bigger plane at some point and perhaps bigger helis.
Irish Viper is offline Find More Posts by Irish Viper
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2011, 05:46 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,101 Posts
Hope you realize what you are getting into.

Do you have LHS, the best thing to do is visit one, visit a club or asks friends that have the radios you are interested in and hold them, play with them and get first hand experience with them and see which one you preffer the most.

They all have there PLUS and MINUS. Your friend that recommended A9, does he have one? This maybe the guy you run too when you need programming help. Asking here will you get you I like this one and hat this one because BLABLABLA....
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Oct 04, 2011, 07:36 AM
Dublin, Ireland
Joined Nov 2010
71 Posts
I live in Ireland and there are no model shops in this country that sell radios. Everything I need for my hobby has to be imported into the country following research on the web prior to purchase.

I totally agree that visiting a model store and physically holding these radios is the ideal but in my case, that means a plane trip to the UK which only pushes up the price of these radios further.

The two guys I know well in this hobby have a DX8 and an Aurora 9 respectively and they both think their radios are the best.

I thought I'd throw the question out here to see what people think. I was relatively happy with Spektrum up to recently (I started off with a rtf package that included the DX5e) but as my interest and experience in this hobby grows, I thought I'd expand my horizons (no pun intended) beyond HH and their products.
Irish Viper is offline Find More Posts by Irish Viper
Old Oct 04, 2011, 08:26 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,071 Posts
I own an Aurora 9 and i do not own a DX8 or not even held one,so i have no opinion on that radio,i also have owned a DX6i with trim buttons program roller and antennas breaking off,i recon HH must have sold an antenna for every Tx they've made.The A9 for me is just brilliant with programming capabilities beyond my ability,radio is silky smooth (ball bearing gimbals) lipo ready touch screen is very easy to program and it's firmware updateable.I sold my Optic 6 and DX6i for $200 and bought this Tx on Ebay for $300 in my hands,what can i say for a $100 bucks.Simply the best radio i have owned.
The Tug is online now Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Oct 04, 2011, 09:16 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Viper View Post
The two guys I know well in this hobby have a DX8 and an Aurora 9 respectively and they both think their radios are the best.
That's great news. Ask them to come over one at a time or visit them one at a time and hold and play with them.

With both of them saying there great radios then you know you have 2 great radios to choose from. Then buy the one YOU find YOU like. IF both radios are great then look at other aspect such as receiver pricing. This can factor in when considering example the spektrum radio. Receiver pricing with the HK version being available and cheap and the BNF portion of this wonderful hobby.

Good luck with your decision.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Oct 04, 2011, 12:31 PM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,511 Posts
If I can't figure out why I'm getting lockouts with the DX8, I may become a new Aurora owner.
If the Aurora scan feature doesn't live up to expectations, I can add an Xtremelink module. Not so easy with the DX8
RyanNX211 is offline Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Old Oct 04, 2011, 01:12 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,041 Posts
Have you asked to have your AR500's and DX8 checked by Service since you had the problem?

4 airplanes at the same time suggests to me that something got jogged loose in the tx. If I were you I'd have all the rx's checked out at the same time. Make sure they know they were all in a crash!

Have you mentioned size and type of aircraft, location of antennas, orientation of tx antenna relative to aircraft, distance from tx to aircraft, and all that stuff? My memory is a little faded.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor