HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by argo-2, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 05:23 AM
Maiden>Confident>Cocky>Crash!
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Discussion
HKT6A Mods for use with 9X TX as a Trainer-Box.

If like me you upgraded from a HKT6A TX to the 9X you may want to give the 'ol T6A a new lease of life as a Trainer-box.

Here's how:
  • Open up the T6A, remove back cover and drill a jack-plug hole. Mount a phono jack-plug (if you want to remove RF during Trainer-Box mode, you will need the phono-jack to have a push-to-break switch incorporated).
  • Run the jack-plug shaft connection to the ground of your T6A PCB (in the photo its the yellow wire). I soldered a wire onto the S-Video programming port's GND pin on the main PCB connector.
  • Run the jack-plug tip connection to the PPM pin of your T6A PCB (in the photo its the blue wire). I soldered a wire onto the S-Video programming port's PPM pin on the PCB connector.
  • Cut the RED wire that supplies the RF PCB with a GND connection. Connect the GND from the RF PCB (wire that you just cut), to the push-to-break switch on the phono-jack (green wire in the photos). Connect the other end of the push-to-break switch to the GND connection of the phono-jack shaft connection you made above.
See the attached schematics. What we are doing is using the T6A programming port PPM signal to feed to the Trainer-input of our 9X via a mono-cable (or stereo cable). It is 'isolated' from the PPM output of the T6A IC via R36 (4k2).

To shut off the RF when either using the T6a as a Trainer-box or as Simulator-Box we use the make-to-break switch integrated into the phono-jack. Normally this connects the RF PCB to GND. When a phono-plug is plugged in, this activates the phono-jack break switch removing the GND connection from the RF PCB, shutting off RF (see attached schematic).

Now when you plug your Trainer-mono-cable plug into the T6A two things happen: a) we send the PPM signal through the cable via the plug-tip, b) the RF PCB loses its GND thus shutting off RF (as its not obviously needed in T6A Trainer Mode).

I also cut-down a phono-plug as way to shut off RF when using the T6A with a PC RC simulator. Just plug in the cut-down plug and RF is powered-off.

9X settings for Trainer config:

Model Setup 2/10 (each model)
Trainer = ON

Radio Setup 2/6 - Trainer
mode % src sw
RUD := 100 ch4 TRN
THR := -100 ch3 TRN
ELE := -100 ch2 TRN
AIL := 100 ch1 TRN
Multiplier: 2.0
Cal 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

Cheers.
argo-2 is offline Find More Posts by argo-2
Last edited by argo-2; Oct 08, 2011 at 01:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2012, 04:19 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
thanks!

Thanks so much dude, I did it over a few beers tonight, had it tested on ground and up in the air at dusk with my girlfriend on the trainer, works perfectly!
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Jan 02, 2012, 12:49 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,023 Posts
Thank you for this....

2 questions:

1) Post Mod, can the T6A still be used as a regular Tx?
2) Post Mod, can the T6A still be "reprogrammed" by computer via the original "trainer" port and usb cable?

Thanks -- looking into doing this mod!
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old Jan 02, 2012, 03:26 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Hi SNice,
1) Look at the edited schematic, I used a toggle switch on the back of tx instead of push to break switch. I've done this and it should allow it to be used as a regular tx (I haven't tryed yet. No reason it shouldn't though). I was just using what bit and pieces I had around.
2) Yes, I have done this already, had to revert it back to standardish and gets all rates back to 100% for trainer connection. Might want to invert some channels, but this can be done on the 9X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNice View Post
Thank you for this....

2 questions:

1) Post Mod, can the T6A still be used as a regular Tx?
2) Post Mod, can the T6A still be "reprogrammed" by computer via the original "trainer" port and usb cable?

Thanks -- looking into doing this mod!
Old Jan 02, 2012, 03:54 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,023 Posts
Great! Thanks, sammyc!!! Got some parts to gather and then I'll probably give it a try! Thanks again for your help!
Old Jan 02, 2012, 04:06 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Don't thank me, argo-2 put this up originally, I've just modified his method for myself to suit my needs. Enjoy mate
Old Mar 10, 2012, 03:09 PM
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Hi Guys

Sorry missed your posts. Glad this helped you out.

SNice, nothing changes programatically (new word for the dictionary), its all electrical, although as SammyC said go back to standard rates is a good place be (I created a 'Buddy' profile in my T6A PC programmer application). When the plug is out its as if you hadn't made any changes.

I've had about 15 buddy flights on this setup now and it works great. The T6A controls are a little course, with the settings I've posted but not badly so. The worst thing I've found (as the 'master pilot') is holding the spring-loaded Trainer trainer switch up for 15 minutes (my student is getting pretty darn good)! Finger get a bit tired
Old Mar 10, 2012, 03:15 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by argo-2 View Post
Hi Guys

Sorry missed your posts. Glad this helped you out.

SNice, nothing changes programatically (new word for the dictionary), its all electrical, although as SammyC said go back to standard rates is a good place be (I created a 'Buddy' profile in my T6A PC programmer application). When the plug is out its as if you hadn't made any changes.

I've had about 15 buddy flights on this setup now and it works great. The T6A controls are a little course, with the settings I've posted but not badly so. The worst thing I've found (as the 'master pilot') is holding the spring-loaded Trainer trainer switch up for 15 minutes (my student is getting pretty darn good)! Finger get a bit tired
Thanks for the additional info! 15mins!!!!! WOW! I'm never up for more than around 7! My EDF's average about 4 mins w/ throttle management! 15mins sounds like a loooonnngg time (for me) . Thanks again!
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:12 AM
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Very welcome

My personal best is 38 minutes on the AXN. All because I was waiting for the park to clear a little so I could land
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:30 PM
United States, IA, Coralville
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
I'm having problems getting this to work. I installed a mono jack on the back of the t6a, with the ppm signal (the yellow wire on the s-video jack) going to the tip of the jack, and the shaft is grounded (to the black wire on the s-video jack). When I link the t6a to my fly sky 9x (stock firmware, training mode on, with elevator, aileron, and rudder active) I don't get any signal. Do I need to flash my 9x with er9x to get this to work or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks,

Ross
rossbemo is offline Find More Posts by rossbemo
Old Nov 01, 2012, 07:27 PM
Joined Jul 2012
2 Posts
Hi Ross,
Did you ever get your stock 9x working with T6A? I am embarking on the same mod. Do you need a different firmware?

Thanks,
slim
kamehouse is offline Find More Posts by kamehouse
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:53 AM
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossbemo View Post
I'm having problems getting this to work. I installed a mono jack on the back of the t6a, with the ppm signal (the yellow wire on the s-video jack) going to the tip of the jack, and the shaft is grounded (to the black wire on the s-video jack). When I link the t6a to my fly sky 9x (stock firmware, training mode on, with elevator, aileron, and rudder active) I don't get any signal. Do I need to flash my 9x with er9x to get this to work or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks,

Ross
Hi Ross, sorry missed your post. Regarding firmware - yep that could be it. I dumped the stock f/w as soon as I could get the wires connected! So I'm not familiar with the stock f/w. You could check the t6a output by plugging a mono or stereo cable into your t6a connector and then plug the other end into a PC audio card/jack. This is how SmartPropoPlus works as a flight simulator. If you then run PPM thermometer you should see output from your t6a. You then will hopefully know which TX the problem is in.

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers,
Brendan.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:21 AM
Brazil, RS, Ivoti
Joined May 2012
2 Posts
a) Where is the green wire connected on the T6 ?
b) Do I need to do some mode on my 9x (like soldering a resistor or something) ?
c) Just to clarify, Does it work with the stock Firmware of the 9x ?

I was looking for a tutorial like this for a long time cause I could made this function work by myself.
I don't have much experience on electronic circuits. Do you think that making a Video for a better explanation is asking too much ?
Thank you very much !
thiagokern is offline Find More Posts by thiagokern
Last edited by thiagokern; Dec 24, 2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old Apr 09, 2013, 03:36 PM
Joined Apr 2013
17 Posts
Does not work for me

Friends,

I did exactly what shows in the diagram, but the T6A as a trainer for me is not working. I'm using a Turnigy 9x as a instructor, and I plug the cable on both and is not working. What can be wrong?

Someone can help me?

thank you.
jselvatici is offline Find More Posts by jselvatici
Old Oct 19, 2013, 12:43 PM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Nov 2009
20 Posts
Also having the same problem - followed the wiring but nothing happens when the trainer switch is activated? Stock firmware here. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Edit: Found out that all connections are working using ppm audio - so it must be a problem with the stock firmware
ryana178 is offline Find More Posts by ryana178
Last edited by ryana178; Oct 20, 2013 at 09:14 AM.