HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2011, 10:54 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
738 Posts
Discussion
So what do these numbers mean?

So as suggested, I bought a battery meter to figure out why the charger was suddenly giving a "reconditioning" or "error" message on my 2 lipos. I figured being a lipo noob, I must've overdischarged them and destroyed them. Today I bought two new batteries and came home with the intention to toss the old ones, but first I thought I'd put the meter on them, just in case.

So here we are.

[/IMG]

The blue battery has only been run a few times, and it no longer charges. It used to charge ok, then it would go to a "reconditioning" mode before charging. Now it just reads error all the time. It simply does not charge any more.

the readings:
Cell 1: 3.78
Cell 2: 3.79
Cell 3: 3.78
All: 11.3

The white battery has been run the same number of times. It suddlenly started reading "reconditioning", and then it would charge. Now, it will just charge for like 4 hours straight. Then it will go to "error" message. I figured it was also garbage due to overdischarging.

the readings.
Cell 1: 3.98
Cell 2: 4.03
Cell 3: 3.96
All: 11.9

So do you think these batteries are actually toast, or is it possible that the cheap charger was at fault all along, (it was supplied with the airplane) I never over discharged them, and I bought 2 new batteries today for no reason.
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2011, 11:05 PM
2is
Joined Sep 2011
62 Posts
The cell voltages look ok and they're not too far off from one another. It COULD be the charger but it also could be the cells not able to charge past those voltages. A fully charged cell should be at 4.2v
2is is offline Find More Posts by 2is
Old Oct 03, 2011, 11:19 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,823 Posts
more likely a bad charger. Even bad, bad, unflyable, Lipos with minimal life left will still charge up to 4.2. And those bad bad ones will just tank when you put a load on it, but it will charge up close to 4.2.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2011, 11:24 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
738 Posts
2is, Good thing you said that I forgot to mention. The blue battery is not charged and the white one is.

The blue charged and flew. Now it no longer charges.
The white one last charged for 4 hours and then just went to error. Has not flown after that. That was 2 days ago.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 11:32 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
738 Posts
I also have the onyx 235. I didn't have the adapter to allow me to charge lipos, so I never used it. Today I got an adapter so I can charge lipos. Should I try to charge these with it? Would it be dangerous to try considering the codes the other charger was giving? Is there anything special I should know?

This is the charger I have been using that's given me all these codes.

Old Oct 04, 2011, 12:39 AM
2is
Joined Sep 2011
62 Posts
It's worth a shot, just don't leave it unmonitored just in case. If you have a lipo sack, use it.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 01:09 AM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
738 Posts
Tomorrow I'm going to hook it up. Charge it like a healthy lipo or should I decrease the amps?
Old Oct 04, 2011, 02:57 AM
2is
Joined Sep 2011
62 Posts
I'd charge it at 1C
Old Oct 04, 2011, 04:54 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,533 Posts
Kawi,

I suggest you get another charger. The charger you are using doesn't give you enough information.
A decent charger should provide at least a minimum of:
Charging current
Pack voltage
Individual cell voltage
Milliamps returned to pack at charge complete.

Check out this one:
http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...llpro-Multi4_3

(It shows out of stock but they should have it soon.)

There are many others that will give you the required information but I happen to like the one I referenced.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Oct 04, 2011, 09:48 AM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
738 Posts
I don't know if you missed it but 2 posts above I mentioned that I have an onyx 235. It does give me all that info, but I couldnt use it because I needed an adapter for lipos, which I picked up yesterday. I'm going to be using that to charge them today.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 09:52 AM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2is View Post
I'd charge it at 1C
ok, how long do you think it will charge for at 1C?
Old Oct 04, 2011, 09:55 AM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawi View Post
ok, how long do you think it will charge for at 1C?
at 1C if completely depleted, 1hr. but at the voltage yours is at, more likely 25-35mins
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2011, 10:03 AM
Joined Jul 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Tomorrow I'm going to hook it up. Charge it like a healthy lipo or should I decrease the amps?
Yes
Do a balance charge at (.5amps) that will give your balancer time to bring your lipo cells to the same voltage.
fast truck is offline Find More Posts by fast truck
Old Oct 04, 2011, 02:10 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
738 Posts
I've already started charging at 1 amp about an hour and half ago. It's been charging normally. The charger is now saying complete.

It's reading 4.22 for all three cells.

12.22V
12.66V
12.76V
( ^^ not sure what that means)

It took 92 minutes.
Complete 1519mah (I guess it had some already in there)

So it seems to be ok. I will only know when I run it.

I'd like to charge the white battery next, but it charged for 4 hours on the little charger days ago and I haven't drained it.

Should I just stick it on there anyway, see what it says? Or should I wait to fly it?
Old Oct 04, 2011, 02:19 PM
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined May 2010
216 Posts
Charge it. Same as the other one. Just be sure to monitor the charge. I figure if you question the integrity of any lipo, it's a good idea to do the charge outside (not in the house). If anything goes south, nothing gets burned to the ground so long as it's outside and away from anything that can light up.
Quote:
I've already started charging at 1 amp about an hour and half ago. It's been charging normally. The charger is now saying complete.

It's reading 4.22 for all three cells.

12.22V
12.66V
12.76V
( ^^ not sure what that means)

It took 92 minutes.
Complete 1519mah (I guess it had some already in there)

So it seems to be ok. I will only know when I run it.

I'd like to charge the white battery next, but it charged for 4 hours on the little charger days ago and I haven't drained it.

Should I just stick it on there anyway, see what it says? Or should I wait to fly it?
weimer20 is offline Find More Posts by weimer20