HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2011, 02:37 PM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
324 Posts
Discussion
Deb spar question

Yardsticks are a little scarce lately. I'm thinking of using a single pine lattice spar. The lattice is straight grained, and 1/4" by 1-1/8". I'll be building a RNAFwing. Will the spar be strong enough?
michaelingp is offline Find More Posts by michaelingp
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2011, 06:25 PM
central CA
Joined Aug 2002
347 Posts
yeah, it should be, I use a hardwood like birch and rip it down on the table saw.

if you have an ACE hardware store, they have or can get them
draftman1 is offline Find More Posts by draftman1
Old Oct 03, 2011, 11:40 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,817 Posts
I use those old finger-jointed yard sticks that Walmart sells and have never had one separate. BUT..... I don't do all kind of maneuvers like most folks do. On a Deb trainer you should be ok. I *do* put a shot of thin CA on the finger joints on the yardsticks to help stick them together. I bet if you ran a bead of thin CA down the length of your yardstick and just let it soak in, the CA sticking the fibers together plus the torsion/tension or whatever it's called that the engineers in the group speak of that the gluing of the spar to the wing skin....... you'll be ok on a Deb whatever maneuvers you decide to do. And if the spar snaps, chop the throttle, drop it on in, repair whatever happens and give it another go.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:29 AM
jib
Chief Mechanic for my son
Covington, WA
Joined Oct 2008
377 Posts
I've covered one side of a yardstick with light fiberglass cloth and epoxy. Stong and not too heavy. Sand the edges to clean it all up, so the glass is only on the side.

Jack
jib is offline Find More Posts by jib