HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2011, 04:41 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,247 Posts
Only to point out that any of the above DO NOT have bad issues or requirements to "fix" before sailing. Also they all are of a one-design nature - some more strict than others, and are all recognized by AMYA as class "racing" boats. This (to me) suggests that there are enough interested sailors to make any one of them a consideration for first purchase. Add in that a couple can be home-built, and there is an added appeal to that. I would offer the RG65 as one additional "open design" boat that probably would be happy in your wind ranges with a smaller (allowed) set of sails. If you have more than $300 in a total boat that you built, I would "suggest" you spent too much or overbuilt.

Finally - look around - many of the AMYA Class boats are also available used and can be a fraction of what a new boat will cost.

To be fair to Boomer - I stand closer to John on his opinions. If you want to buy a pre-made boat, and then still have to modify it - why not buy a decent one to begin with? If they are so wonderful, why the laundry list of "suggested" or "recommended" improvements? I know this will bring some flames - but when I was done building all of mine - I knew exactly how it was built. Buy some formed plastic from China - and it will sail - but certainly NOT to the wind speeds you are thinking it will.

I can only suggest - as did Boomer - but in the direction of boats that are accepted - Yeah, there may be a ton of the plastics sold, but how many on any given day do you see off the mantle and out sailing? And if they are so good - it only takes 20 owners to form a recognized class! Seriously - stay with recognized classes and you will be happier in the long run.

My opinion - I could be wrong.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2011, 05:02 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,276 Posts
Dick and John I also have to agree with you. I would go with a AMYA sanctioned boat. One, I would think they are proven performers and if for some reason sailing isn't your cup of tea there is a market out there to resell it.
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Oct 03, 2011, 05:51 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,513 Posts
Dick
No flames! Always appreciate your point of view and agree the RG65 would be another boat to consider.

I spent 37 years in the plastics industry and have forgotten more about it that most will ever know.
I maybe a tad sensitive about what I consider unwarranted remarks, most which come from a lack of knowledge.

This chap doesn't have a grand to drop on an IOM - I am not at all sure of the actual wind speeds he will be facing - I use an anemometer to monitor the conditions I sail in, and know my boats limitations. I don't like to abuse my hardware and test my boats to find their limitations, also to be accurate in my comments.

I object to the suggestion or implication that these not "decent" boats. I say "Bilge" to that. It is all relative to one's tastes and budget.
(I like to use that word )

Seawind, Micro Magic, Victoria, Nirvana, IOM, ODOM all all AMYA class boats.

I posted some photos of some very nice looking RG65 boats - A few of these particular boats might break the bank account.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Oct 03, 2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 06:37 PM
WHAT THE...
Evansville, Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,576 Posts
Thanks for all of the input everyone. Looks like there are some other options out there. I am still leaning toward the Voyager/China Team option at the moment. I don't see racing in the near future so that really isn't a concern...However, I don't see why the Voyager couldn't be modified to fit the US1M class. It is a 1 meter boat after all. Looks like the stock sail area is a bit large (744 sq inches). If a race club does develop and I maintain an interest, I will certainly up the ante an get a better racing hull.

I really don't see any major issues with the Voyager that I can't handle. I'll see what pieces can be fabricated to improve the reliability as I build. I have done this many times in the other areas of the RC world. It is just part of the hobby for me...I may just try to make my own sails. fun fun.

Boomer1, don't worry...I don't plan to jump right in and attempt to sail in heavy winds! That is certainly something I'll need to build up to.

Some Questions:
1) Is there a US distributor for the Guapner Micro Magic? Looks like Hobby Lobby did carry it, but it has been discontinued.
2) Any more info on the Platoon? Looks like that is an expensive one!
3) Millertime, anymore info on the ODOM sails?

4) Any thoughts for the Voyager vs. the China Team. Like I mentioned earlier, the major difference is the sails and the addition of a "stabilizer" on the bulb.
barmonkey is offline Find More Posts by barmonkey
Old Oct 03, 2011, 06:54 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,276 Posts
Micro Magics can be bought from Graupner U.S.A.
http://www.v-eastonline.com/categori...ips/Sailboats/

ODOM sails or US1M size sail would most likely be the same as far as size.

Have you checked out any of the kits from Victo Model Products ? They have all different sizes, I am sure one of them might fit the bill, plus I think the Soling one meter is one of the AMYAs biggest class.
http://www.victor-model.com/
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Oct 03, 2011, 09:25 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,247 Posts
If you don't want to build - and still interested in the IOM size (and class) you wind up paying "someone" to do it for you. Even a low ball - glass hull, deck, carbon keel, carbon rudder, and keel/mast trunk can be found for around $410 - add mast and sails, a HiTec arm winch, and rudder servo - a Hobby King 2.4 gHz radio, and $12 in batteries and you "should" be less than $750 - $800. Build your own hull and deck and knock off an additional $300 so you are now in the $400-$500 range. Do your own sails for $50 in cloth and double sided tape. Go with balsa keel and rudder with carbon cloth reinforcement and save about $75 - $85 and add in misc. items, wire rigging, and assorted other items for $75 - and you have your IOM boat. A careful build and an eye towards the rules and it could be class legal. Build a "B" rig and you are now looking at the wind ranges you seek. Decide to race, and you can buy a set of pro-built sails, and maybe a new rudder and keel in pure carbon. When done it would be possible to see an investment of $450 - $750 PLUS you know how it was built, how to modify the next one, how to fix/repair this one, and of course resale value very close to what you spent. An RG65 - perhaps $200-$300 less.

If you build to a well known set of plans, and are careful with weight when building there might be a market for it - just as you are trying to get started. Trust me when I suggest some of the "other" boats you are considering will NOT be an easy resale.

But - it is your money and I have no idea of how much time you can commit to a self build. I know I would hate to pay someone "their" labor rates to sand a plug knowing I could do that myself!

Good luck on your choice - just don't make the choice from the heart - use the head instead.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 09:43 PM
Evansville, IN
Joined Jul 2002
301 Posts
Did you rule out the 1M Solings that were there this am? Pretty nice, good sailing boat and not very expensive. A little bit of work to do on them but they do make a nice boat, just maybe not quite as sexy as some of the others.

Don't know if you noticed, but when we were all going upwind on the back of the course, the Soling's don't seem to "heel over" on the side as much as what my Nirvana does. Boomer1 can explain why a lot better than I can. I just try to get to the other end near them and the smaller boat can hold it's own pretty well. They've been doing this stuff a LOT longer than I have. Was a decent morning but the winds were really variable and inconsistent.
11290 is offline Find More Posts by 11290
Old Oct 03, 2011, 09:50 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,247 Posts
Ummmm - Looks like I might have been a bit high. Current Classified RG65 (25 1/2 inch) LOA:

Viper Fish
For sale
Place 1st in r-3 event ( not even close)
Placed 7th in nationals 2010 (no wind)
Black hull/ White deck.
Carbon rig / Fractional
long keel.
all servos in place
ready to race less tx/rx.
bone dry inside.
$175
703-242-8746\
walter.house@verizon.net

I would rate at current BEST BUY. Will cost you about $50 for 2.4 radio/receiver from Hobby King.
Last edited by Dick L.; Oct 03, 2011 at 09:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 03, 2011, 11:47 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,316 Posts
"Millertime, anymore info on the ODOM sails?"

Not really, I got mine from Chuck Black, he is retired and not making sails.
There are a lot of sail makers that make ODOM sails.

The Voyager sails are Ok to learn on, you can always upgrade later.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Last edited by MILLERTIME; Oct 04, 2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 03:40 AM
Vela 1m Sailboat
Joined Sep 2011
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILLERTIME View Post
I have a Voyager with ODOM sails, the stock sails are junk.
I stay up with the ODOM's in our club and have won some races.
Almost all sailboats need some modification's to sail good.
I love my Voyager.

I assume the Thunder Tiger Chinese boat is the Voyager hull, its on sale at Tower Hobbies for about $145 with the coupon right now
Autohelm is offline Find More Posts by Autohelm
Old Oct 04, 2011, 03:46 AM
Vela 1m Sailboat
Joined Sep 2011
42 Posts
We are using the Victoria Class boat for first club boat, since the three clubs north of us here in Bend Oregon, OMYC, SMYC and OMSA. all sail the Victorias, well heavily modified Victorias. I am building two Victorias at the moment, I also have a Vela, and I have a Victor El Moro that was given to me.

Being an aircraft engineer by trade, I might be over engineering my Vic, but I guess that is the fun of it

I thought I would have fun with the graphics on mine
Old Oct 04, 2011, 03:59 AM
Vela 1m Sailboat
Joined Sep 2011
42 Posts
Furling Genoa instead of Jib?

Has anyone ever tinkered with a furling Genoa on an RC as an interesting project? I think about how the furling worked on my full size 30 foot sailboat I had and It seems quite feasible to do it on an RC.

We have some high mountain lakes at around 5-6k feet up around Bend Oregon, and in a given 3-4 hours the wind will change direction several times, change intensity several times, a furling Genoa would be fun in those situations.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 04:25 AM
Vela 1m Sailboat
Joined Sep 2011
42 Posts
Joysway Focus 1m?

Anyone know anything about this boat?

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...sailboat.html#
Last edited by Autohelm; Oct 04, 2011 at 04:53 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 08:25 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autohelm View Post
Anyone know anything about this boat?

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...sailboat.html#
At least the pdf manual shows quite a few interesting and confidence building details.
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Oct 04, 2011, 09:53 AM
Vela 1m Sailboat
Joined Sep 2011
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin richards View Post
At least the pdf manual shows quite a few interesting and confidence building details.
Yes the PDF manual, is unusually descriptive for the manuals you usually get with Chinese stuff, I am assuming it is a Chinese boat like most of the others, I am not sure.