HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by owlsabie, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 02:32 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,684 Posts
Thanks Sean - still a fair amount of bits and pieces to do before covering, but its all downhill from here I hope.
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2012, 11:43 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,684 Posts
I'm getting tired of this big monster now! I think I may have to alternate building the Super Solution with working on it - completion date has ben pushed forward towards the middle of february
Old Jan 06, 2012, 01:05 PM
Is it suppose to do that?
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
997 Posts
Stay the course

Hi Al.

I too always get tired of the build because it then gets to this point with all the little thingamajigs. just stay the course. And then you are flying.

Sean
moscow580 is offline Find More Posts by moscow580
Old Jan 12, 2012, 04:23 AM
free bird
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Aug 2011
169 Posts
Hi guys,

Sorry for being away so long, Sean I have never used glue sticks on my models, mostly super glue and white wood glue, do you use it on the entire airframe or is there a specific part you use it on?

Al, I have plans for the Black Magic drawn by Fred Hempsall and a re-drawn plan for electric power which looks like a better structure for rubber power than the free flight version! In fact the electric version states that for use with free flight the hinges may be omitted. I am starting to get a bit restless it's been over a month since my last build and I think it is blurring my decision on what to do next, I think it is either the B/M or a Peerless Sopwith Camel.

Keep up the work on the B/M its coming on nicely!

Mike
Mickey D is offline Find More Posts by Mickey D
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:42 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,684 Posts
Thanks Mike I've actually also got both plans, and on the thread by the old timer forum there's a third set of plans as drawn by Vintage1 for his electric version. I've more or less used the structure common to both plans, and gone my own way with other bits. I figure if the outline is right thats good enough

I've got a "thing" about peerless plans. I built a Waco YKC from enlarged Peerless plans a while ago (modified for electric RC). It was bit of a mission, and I really struggled. The plane flew OK, but I only flew her twice and then hung it on the wall. I don't like that plane! It was more a question of tackling something way too difficult than anything wrong with the plans I think, but regardless it would take a lot for me to tackle another Peerless build

Either way good luck!
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:24 AM
free bird
Joined Aug 2011
169 Posts
There is a mistake you have three pictures of the full size plane.

You know the other day I found under someone’s username it said ‘be happy lower your standards’ and me being a sucker for high detail complex models I thought I should start with something simple just to get back on a roll, so after rejecting hundreds of options I finally ended up with the Peerless “camel” back to square one again.

Sorry for not finishing my post there is another thunder storm incoming, I have to shut down! Good Luck with the covering take your time and have fun, it will look great!
Old Jan 13, 2012, 09:44 AM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
997 Posts
Glue Stick and Stay simple

Hi Guys.

Mark: I like to use the glue stick to put together mostly items that are foam. The glue sticks work very nicely and keep a strong bond, and when there is an occasional bump the parts pop apart. Also the size of airplane dictates the use of the glue as well. On the Solution I am using strictly white bond glue for the framing and other areas. However for my Eflite reliant I used only glue sticks to repair and it holds up pretty well.

I try not to complicate my build since if I do I am pushing out the end date further and further since I work on little time here and there. I am going to strengthen the solution structure a bit on the wings but that is after I have the basic framing completed.

I have never built a Peerless model. Are these local SA models?

Al: I saw the video. The plan flies really nice. What happened to the U/C? Was it because of the grass? Also that area you were flying in pretty enclosed with the trees, I would have been too scared - my planes love trees.

Have a good weekend.

Sean
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:32 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,684 Posts
Hi Sean - yip, big trees! They have gobbled a plane or two .. . I looked at the video, and at the beginning the spats are angled down, so I think they got stuck in the grass. Very minor repairs, and a tiny bit of covering maybe.

I also have never tried glue sticks either, on foam I like normal cheap 2 part Pratleys epoxy (if it was good enough for NASA its good enough for me). On wood I am slowly becoming converted to pva glue though.

The Peerless Model Airplane Company I think was an Ohio company? In the thirties? The plan I used was in Flying Scale models 2008 pages 50-51, enlarged on a photocopier at work. A bad idea, as photocopiers distort towards the edges (hance why I got a new pc with a printer)
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:29 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,684 Posts
Well - quite a successfull modelling day so far - the Top Dawg is ready to go again, most of the parts for the Super Solution are traced, and the side bits for the tail of the magic are done.

Progress on La Bruja is more steady than stellar at this stage, but once the control cables are in I will feel better. For some reason I always struggle a bit with geting the cables just right, but from a number of builds where I've taken the "thats probably good enough approach", I know its better to go really slowly and carefully at this stage.

Al
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:25 AM
free bird
Joined Aug 2011
169 Posts
Hi Guys,

You right Al, Peerless sure is from Ohio, I hear only good things about their plans, nice and scale just how I like it! It's my first one though.

I also used Pratley putty on my larger models, when I say large I mean small for y'all standards, it sets as hard as rock with a fairly low density to weight ratio best part it can be molded to shape with your fingers. I am also experimenting with Pratley mineral varnish.

Starting on the Black Magic tonight, will post on my blog once I have traced the parts.

P.S. I had a look at the Super Solution... Interesting that you mention the similarity with the P-40 tail Sean, I thought it looked like a modified Gee Bee Bipe at first.

Mike
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:20 PM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
997 Posts
Hi Al.

I knew it ....one Day you Talking about the solution the next you are flying it. . That is great that you are getting started I was starting to get lonely on the build; don't forget to post your progress on the blog.

Mike: I also thought the tail looked exactly like the stinson reliant when I matched them together (go to our blog and you will see the match.

I had good intentions to start on the fuselage tonight but I would rather not laminate more wood to make it 3/16 4.5mm so I am going to order some from Balsa USA. So it might take week or so to get started.

Sean
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:44 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,684 Posts
I am not really in the mood today, but did build a nice solid servo mount, and sorted out the windows

Owl
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:59 AM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
997 Posts
Hi Al.

Those are some pretty windows. . At least the pilot will see where he is going.

Sean
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:13 PM
free bird
Joined Aug 2011
169 Posts
Al I totally agree with the tail skid especially on grass I can Imagine very little movement with a tail wheel anyway.

I hope you guys aren’t too far ahead with the super solution, I have a lot of threads on other forums to unsubscribe to it is taking up way too much of my building time.

See y’all soon!

Mike
Old Jan 24, 2012, 07:16 AM
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
997 Posts
Hi Al.

How was the flying this weekend ? At least someone has flying weather; probably will rain here for the next few days and snow is always in the wake.

I received my wood from Balsa USA. I got 3/16 Balsa sheets on sale for $0.56 US per sheet I bought 30. I will build the keels with those and the formers I will use 1/8.

I am taking a chance. I broke the spinner and hub on the P-47 again - pretty annoying. This time I epoxied it back together. I will test run it to see if it will hold. Just have to be far away just in case it pops.

Mike: I was thinking that with the delicacy of your aircraft the glue sticks would work wonders. The glue dries almost instantly but the bond is not like CA or white glue and would allow for popping parts away for each other if a mistake is made. You can get one in your local arts and crafts store for practically a cup of tea.

Sean