Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 26, 2003, 10:53 AM
Edina Model Yacht Club
Bloomington MN
Joined Apr 2002
185 Posts
I have heard that Riva is/was a "true" custom builder, as such they probably followed a "concept" for the Aquarama, but no 2 are probably identical.

Look at the positive side of that...if you entered it in a judged contest, nobody can say yours is in-accurate.
George Pfeifer is offline Find More Posts by George Pfeifer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2003, 01:53 PM
and this wire goes where?
Southampton Eastleigh, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jun 2003
660 Posts
he he.. very true George. Always good to think positive

first pics should be back soon, so I'll show you progress so far (well, slightly behind, have to break out the digital camera)
Dongledell is offline Find More Posts by Dongledell
Old Sep 27, 2003, 04:51 AM
Joined Jun 2003
660 Posts
New question time!

I've got to the point now where I ought to start thinking about making provision for the prop tubes before I make it impossible for myself to get good access.

Had a scout around at the Local hobby shop, but the owner knows very little about boats, so had no idea what prop size would be suitable. he reckoned a 35x would be too much, but to be honest I really dont know what that means!

Any suggestions on props & prop shafts?

Cheers

D
Old Sep 27, 2003, 08:48 AM
Edina Model Yacht Club
Bloomington MN
Joined Apr 2002
185 Posts
Props & Prop Shafts

I had posted some info in with the waterskier plans which you won't receive until next week, so this will be somewhat repetitive.
It is time to make some hard decisions about what you will expect in the way of performance from the boat, this is not a simple topic. Since you are in the UK, my best suggestion is to talk to local people who know what is available and what will meet your expectations.
The best sources in the UK that I know of are as follows:
Eddie Matthews of the Darlington & Distrct Club in Northern England. Eddie is currently building scale models of the classic wood world record holder boats from the 30's thru the 50's. He recently completed the Amati Ferrari hydro, and I believe is working on the Miss America III, he has also built a several of the Bluebird designs by Campbell. His Ferrari was featured in I believe the Jan 03 issue of Marine Modeler (Traplett Publications, same place you got your plans). Eddie is always willing to help a fellow modeller. He was at one time working on a 1/4 scale Aquarama, but I think shelved that project for now.
Ernie Lazenby, same location as Eddie. Ernie is a guru of performance electric boats and one of the best scale modellers in the UK. He has been a columnist for Marine Modeller Magazine, and holds, I believe a number of Fast Electric records in the UK. Ernie has retired from the racing scene and is working with Eddie on the scale boats. Ernie, builds some of the best boat hardware that I have seen.
Alan Shilitto (sp?) of Astec Models in North Somerset UK, do a search for Astec Models and you will find his web site. Alan has an extensive inventory and knows who carries what in Europe.
If you tell them what you are building, size, weight etc, and what your performance objectives are they will come up with a package that will get the job done.
I will PM you with Eddie's e-mail address.
George
Old Sep 29, 2003, 08:13 AM
Joined Jun 2003
660 Posts
Planking Problems

ahh well, after such a smooth beginning something had to go wrong somewhen!

my planking has been going reasonably well (if very slowly!) by employing no less than 14 clamps pre plank in 2 directions to keep it all nice and tight. I am up to plank 6 on each side so going well.

Last night disaster struck when I managed to drop the boat while applying a clamp. The boat hit the edge of the stone fire hearth and planks 3 and 4 on one side were broken about an 2 inches in from the bow.

Question is, what is the best thing to do? It's broken right on an area where it twists quite a heavily. Do I try to take out the whole plank on both and try to force a couple of new ones in, or stick bits back together, or make a neat cut a way back and do 2 short planks?

Basically I am looking for the solution that will give the cleanest and least visable repair!!
Old Sep 29, 2003, 10:42 AM
Edina Model Yacht Club
Bloomington MN
Joined Apr 2002
185 Posts
I think the best solution is to remove the entire plank(s). Trying to get the same bend with a shorter plank, will I think be more difficult, since it is in the bow area. Not the answer you want to hear, but....
Old Sep 30, 2003, 04:56 AM
Bend Or
Joined Apr 2002
167 Posts
George, Tachi thanks for fiberglassing tips. I found the
Amati kit $399. Yes its resin hull. fake wood grain on sides.

As I said before I knew little about Rivas, but Ive
researched them now. Upper two photos in my
first picture are Riva "Aristons" possibly
Super "Aristons" with the 320HP Riva motor.
been edited (there is no Riva Crusader) Duh

Dongledell,
heres some links I found for Rivas. I have not seen the traplet plans. Neckar Verlag in Germany/Switzerland offer plans
(semi scale) for Riva Aquarama for 20 Euro..
http://www.neckar-verlag.de/katalog/9656.htm

Michel Verhoeven has a page with lots
of Riva Pics and info including models (not updated)
http://go.to/miespage

And Reiner Bischoff has a page on Rivas with models
scratch built. (German language Im sure youll understand
the Bilder (Photos).
http://www.re-bischoff.de/

And some pics of a real "Riva Ariston" being restored in
Sweden. Good detail of nekid hull...
http://www.stinger.se/stinger/renovering.htm

On your planks.. If their near the bottom below the water line
I wouldnt sweat it. Most (99%) of Rivas Ive seen painted below
water line. Patch sand and paint.. Also if you wet planks
clamp/pin in place and let dry. They dry curved :-)

I have not much time to post as my business is ever expanding
but I will try to check in every week. I will build an "Ariston"
its just to beautiful.

Cheers all,
kapos

Riva Aquarama "Amati kit" version
kapos45 is offline Find More Posts by kapos45
Old Sep 30, 2003, 06:37 AM
Joined Jun 2003
660 Posts
Many thanks for that Kapos45 - some excellent info.

as George mentioned in a previous post, all the Riva's appear to be slightly different - well, I had this confirmed by someone at the Riva Historical Society. I originally contacted them a few weeks ago, with a request for photo's of restorations etc, but only got the reply yesterday. Basically the chap confirmed that finding 2 Aquarama's that are identical is nearly impossible, and suggested I either choose 1 boat and build from pics or used a bit of artistic licence!! He said that the basic superstructer was nearly identical, but the curves and shaping of the stern varied immensly.

With that knowledge, I have decided to continue construction based on a 30 odd minute video clip I have.

Re the planks, 1 is below the paintline, unfortunately the other is above. I started tying to remove it last night, but its stuck in very solidly, so I very carefully prised the first 2 inches off, re-constructed the plank with it's pieces and then reinforced with some thin CF. It's not absolutely perfect, but hopefully once sanded it should be OK.

I don't know if anyone else has ever tried this, but I have also found a way of making a "near invisable" fill on a planked deck.

first I took a piece of the mahogany and sanded with course paper.

next I took some epoxy and mixed in a large amount of the sawdust - until it was a VERY dry mix. I applied to the area needed and sanded - really worked very well. obviously not good for large areas, but I had a tiny gap between 2 planks.
Old Oct 09, 2003, 01:14 PM
Joined Jun 2003
660 Posts
Thought I'd finally get some pics up of the build so far!!
Old Oct 09, 2003, 01:16 PM
Joined Jun 2003
660 Posts
and another...
Old Oct 09, 2003, 01:18 PM
Joined Jun 2003
660 Posts
and another!!
Old Oct 09, 2003, 02:49 PM
Edina Model Yacht Club
Bloomington MN
Joined Apr 2002
185 Posts
Dongledell;
Looking very good, you do nice work.

I see that you have also cornered the market on clamps. Some day I will hold a garage sale, and the world price for clamps will plunge thru the floor. But for now I keep buying more....

George
Old Oct 09, 2003, 03:31 PM
Joined Jun 2003
660 Posts
Thanks George! must admit I'm quite pleased with it so far. I've just finished steaming and bending the first 2 strips that make up the outer rim of the deck. Took some work as the are 6mm x 14mm and the bend is going against the 14mm side!!! one very minor split on 1 side but fortunately nowhere visible so a blob of glue and another clamp and we should be OK!!

he he I tidied up all the clamps earlier - 18 onehand ratchets and 34 quick clamps - funny thing is I went and got a couple more earlier as the top 3 tiers of planks needed clamping in 2 directions every 3 inches

More pics to follow when my connection is not quite so rubbish!!
Old Oct 09, 2003, 05:51 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,201 Posts
Nice work Dongledell

I was kind of thinking it would run better without all the clamps hanging of of the hull.

But you have done a great job. You are building one for each of us right?
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Oct 10, 2003, 03:09 AM
Joined Jun 2003
660 Posts
Of course Umi - wouldn't dream of not sharing

I thought the clamps may add some stability in the water, do you think I ought to get rid of them then...