HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2003, 07:58 AM
Westchester, NY
Joined Jun 2003
275 Posts
Potensky Eagle hard to build?

Hey guys...i just picked up an eagle...and was wondering if it was difficult to build. Ive done lots of checking up and reading about the plane...and it seems that people have had some issues....just trying to learn as much as i can b4 start the build....with any luck i should have it built by the time this hurricane blows on by!...any advice would be apreicated ...thanks-J
kindjordan is offline Find More Posts by kindjordan
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2003, 08:38 AM
jsn
Dis-member
USA, VA, Ashburn
Joined Mar 2003
142 Posts
hmmm not really hard.. I have the cobra..

the 2 things that i didn't like are

1. It is kind of hard to line up the wings , Use the big template that came with the kit..

2. I don't like that you just glue the control horns on. You might want to get some 3 party ones (gws)

3. ( know i said there was only 2) You have to carve out the nose from a block of foam.. that just sucks...

But.. It is a great plane it flys like a dream and can take (very) hard landings all day long. You will love it.. Have fun..... jsn
jsn is offline Find More Posts by jsn
Old Sep 17, 2003, 08:51 AM
Westchester, NY
Joined Jun 2003
275 Posts
hey..thanks for the info....keep the tips coming....presheateit!!-Jordan
Old Sep 17, 2003, 11:50 AM
WA
Joined Jul 2003
21 Posts
Biggest challenge I had was in getting the tape to stick for the ailerons. The foam is corse, on the wing, that tape peels off easily. I have laid down some white glue, on the wing where the ailerons attach, and the tape seems to stick better. I used an iron to heat the tape after applying.

Also, the pinion gear on the motor. I didn't even attempt to use the plastic one included. I order a brass (metal) pinion gear and installed that before my first flight. Several threads on that subject.

Enjoy....

Chuck
BatmanOSX is offline Find More Posts by BatmanOSX
Old Sep 17, 2003, 02:38 PM
Heli Noob
Washington D.C.
Joined Aug 2002
389 Posts
Depends

It's not a Sky Scooter , but it's not too difficult. I have had complete ARF up till this point so I found it a bit challenging at first, but the key is to take your time and print out Greg Covey's article. It helped TONS in the building. Mine flew great until I had a touch and go that touched a bit too hard. Now no more go! About 20 minutes and some epoxy and I'm sure she'll be back up. Great plane!!! ---Navyflier
navyflier is offline Find More Posts by navyflier
Old Sep 17, 2003, 05:17 PM
Westchester, NY
Joined Jun 2003
275 Posts
thanks for the tips...yeah i intend on printing out all the online reviews!!....i just got hooked after seeing the video on hobbylobby......and recently crashed my roto..so perfect opturnuty to further crash into the abiss of debt for my favorite hobby
Old Sep 17, 2003, 06:05 PM
I fly Army UAVs!
West Saint Paul, MN
Joined Aug 2002
583 Posts
Another thing you may want to think about before you get it all built up is putting a GWS motor and mount in it. The gear box that comes with the Cobra and eagle is garbage because the gears are made out of pretty soft plastic that will strip at the slightest bump.

Harry
Kwesdog is offline Find More Posts by Kwesdog
Old Sep 17, 2003, 06:30 PM
Central California
Joined Aug 2003
1,137 Posts
You can replace the plastic pinion gear with a metal one from Hobby Lobby.

MJ8020 PINION FOR SPD 280/300, 5:1 $2.60 (same as stock)

MJ8021 PINION FOR SPD 280/300, 4.5:1 $2.60 (spins slightly faster)
Ledbetter is offline Find More Posts by Ledbetter
Old Sep 18, 2003, 12:43 AM
Westchester, NY
Joined Jun 2003
275 Posts
Harry...will the GWS motor provide the thrust that the stock motor will?...also which gws should i get a,b,c,..i assume those are different gearing???..let me know thanks-J