SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 02, 2011, 06:13 AM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Schertz, Texas, United States
Joined May 2004
1,277 Posts
Question
Dynam Warbird Retracts

I have a Dynam 1200mm P-51 with servoless retracts. When I plug in the battery it takes 7-8 seconds for the retracts to energize. Work fine after that. Is that normal? My first retract bird. Thanks.
fuzzyhead is offline Find More Posts by fuzzyhead
Last edited by fuzzyhead; Oct 02, 2011 at 07:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2011, 07:58 AM
Canada, ON, Muskoka
Joined Jul 2011
667 Posts
Rick, mine do the same, that is, if they both feel like initalizing. Dosn't matter if I store it with the wheels up or down, 95% of the time when I plug the battery in only one comes to life. When I flip the gear switch one will move the other won't. I can hit either the flap switch or elevator stick and it will activate.

I'm currently using an HK orange receiver (DX6i DSMX radio), but have used a Spektrum with the same results, so it's not the reveiver. I checked all the wiring and it seems fine, even took the problem retract apart, didn't find anything wrong. Like to see if someone has an answer. They're cheap to buy $9.99 at GraysonHobby http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...ct-p-1409.html.

Glen
Muskoka1 is offline Find More Posts by Muskoka1
Old Oct 02, 2011, 10:31 AM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Joined May 2004
1,277 Posts
Thanks Glen.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 12:06 PM
Canada, ON, Muskoka
Joined Jul 2011
667 Posts
Just came home from flying, got 2 flights on the P51 before the rain started. First flight only one retract came down with the gear switch, had to hit the flap switch to get the other down. Second flight neither one came down, had to belly land.

Does anyone make a good electric retract that doesn't cost a fortune? This is getting frustrating. I suppose you get what you pay for.

Glen
Old Oct 02, 2011, 05:23 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Dec 2009
1,067 Posts
Wow that sucks i have one and a never had a problem with it am using the DX6i mine have worked every time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buSxLmoIP4g i have mine on the flap channel when i drop the flaps the gear also come down thanks for watching
Bad Creation is offline Find More Posts by Bad Creation
Old Oct 02, 2011, 07:50 PM
Somewhere,Florida
Joined Sep 2006
27 Posts
Guys,Just make sure your retracts are not binding in the wheel well when retracted.Try shimming the inboard side of the retract with around 2mm washers which will keep the tire from contacting the bottom of the wheel well.This was the fix for the 1400mm T-28 Trojan retract binding problem.
jet lag is offline Find More Posts by jet lag
Old Oct 02, 2011, 08:11 PM
Canada, ON, Muskoka
Joined Jul 2011
667 Posts
Mine aren't binding. The weird thing is, the majority of the time only one will not work with the gear switch, but it will work if I hit the flap switch or move the elevator stick. I've checked the wiring, used different receivers, no change. The only thing I haven't tried is a different radio. I've ordered 2 new retracts, see how it goes.

Rick (fuzzy), how has it been going lately. You seemed a bit discouraged after your last post in the other thread. Did you move to the bigger flying field?

Glen
Old Oct 02, 2011, 08:55 PM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Joined May 2004
1,277 Posts
I may have jumped the gun on this one. The nearest place I feel comfortable in is about 20 minutes away. Seems like a long way to go for just one plane. Decided to downsize so I put it up for sale before I destroy it. The smaller area around the block won over. I have a bad habit of hitting the buy button before thinking it through. Got my eye on a smaller FMS T-28.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 11:06 PM
Add your country to profile:)
United States, CA, Crestline
Joined Oct 2006
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskoka1 View Post
Rick, mine do the same, that is, if they both feel like initalizing. Dosn't matter if I store it with the wheels up or down, 95% of the time when I plug the battery in only one comes to life. When I flip the gear switch one will move the other won't. I can hit either the flap switch or elevator stick and it will activate.

I'm currently using an HK orange receiver (DX6i DSMX radio), but have used a Spektrum with the same results, so it's not the reveiver. I checked all the wiring and it seems fine, even took the problem retract apart, didn't find anything wrong. Like to see if someone has an answer. They're cheap to buy $9.99 at GraysonHobby http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...ct-p-1409.html.

Glen
Glen, did you ever find out why your retracts were intermittent. I am having EXACTLY the same problem with my Dynam p-51 retracts. They are intermittent, and hitting flaps or rudder will sometimes activate 1 or both retracts properly. I tried a different Y harness, and I tried every variation of endpoint adjustment I could think of, but nothing has helped. There is no binding. When I hook the harness up to my little ebay servo tester and battery, the retracts activate every time just like they should. I can't figure it out. Is there a specific endpoint adjustment or centering that is required? Did you solve the problem with yours?

Greg
CrashMaster39 is offline Find More Posts by CrashMaster39
Old Nov 08, 2011, 09:16 AM
CEL abuser
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Dec 2010
392 Posts
Has anyone tried a BEC? Maybe the one in the ESC just doesn't cut the mustard in some instances?
pr0ject42 is offline Find More Posts by pr0ject42
Old Nov 08, 2011, 10:31 AM
Jimmy
United States, NJ, Highland Lakes
Joined Oct 2008
760 Posts
The gear on the Dynam t-28 dose the same thing. takes about 15 sec to fire up..
Jimmy1159 is online now Find More Posts by Jimmy1159
Old Nov 08, 2011, 12:20 PM
USA, TX, Van Alstyne
Joined Nov 2010
1,304 Posts
I replaced the stock ESC and added a CC 10amp BEC in my Dynam Spitfire
after talking to the guys who fly the bigger planes I was told 5 or more servos you need to install a separate BEC (the retracts counts as servos)
I would have to say mine moves within a couple of sec after I flip the switch
inspector5419 is offline Find More Posts by inspector5419
Old Nov 08, 2011, 05:51 PM
USA, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jan 2011
52 Posts
try adjusting your end points for your gear channel to 120 see if that helps,some
servoless gear like a higher end point it worked for me .
Captain Sea is offline Find More Posts by Captain Sea
Old Nov 08, 2011, 10:55 PM
Add your country to profile:)
United States, CA, Crestline
Joined Oct 2006
309 Posts
No luck, I just went out and tried end points of 120% and it did not help at all, I also tried +/- 80%, 60%, 50% 40% & 20%, then I tried one at 100% and opposite at each level, no improvement. But reatracts still will work intermittently if I move the flaps. I notice when I use my cheapo servo tester the retracts open & close fine, but they activate in a very small range, near the center position, which is why I tried setting endpoints at +/-20%. I even tried a different receiver and I tried hooking up an external battery instead of BEC but got no change. I tried a different pair of cheapo nitroplanes retracts, http://www.nitroplanes.com/pz-15090-retract.html that I have for another plane and they work fine with this same receiver and 120 endpoints. I guess I'll have to send the retracts back to nitroplanes and hope they will replace them.

BTW These retracts http://www.nitroplanes.com/pz-15090-retract.html for $9.95are an exact match to the stock Dynam retracts if anybody needs a replacement for their. The holes line up and foam cutout is a match. They opperate fine as well.
CrashMaster39 is offline Find More Posts by CrashMaster39
Old Nov 08, 2011, 11:14 PM
USA, TX, Van Alstyne
Joined Nov 2010
1,304 Posts
I has an issue like this with my ailerons where they would only work if I move the flap switch and I know it was something I switched on
I am not saying that could be it but you might try to reset your TX to the Factory settings and start over
inspector5419 is offline Find More Posts by inspector5419