HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by HugoCraft, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 01, 2011, 09:24 PM
Aerobatic Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2007
2,884 Posts
Discussion
mCP-x is brushless now

Didn't want to pay the extra $$$ for the PNP kit from wowhobbies so I just made it myself and soldered it up. I bought most of the components from Astroid Designs:

$24 ~ C05M 11,500 KV short 1mm shaft Brushless Motor

$15 ~ XP-7A 1-2S ESC

$5.50 ~ Carbon lower frame brace .5mm

The only thing I got from wowhobbies was the Steve converter w/resistor so you can plug the yellow wire to the brushed motor connector on the main board if you solder a male plug to it. That was $20 before shipping.

The only things left were a female and male mCP-x battery connector which I acquired from a friend who bought a bunch of those in bulk from an electronics place online.

First I took and old frame missing the front posts and removed all the plastic until the motor would fit like Matt Bockmans frame. I ended up using a Dremel high speed cutter wheel to remove most the plastic followed by a razor to trim it up. Lastly I added the cf lower brace and it was so tight that it needs no glue.

What I did:

I cut the heat shrink off the xp-7a esc then de-soldered the motor leads. I shortened the motor leads to 30cm and soldered them straight to the ESC. I then soldered the mCP-x battery connector to the power input on the xp-7a. I plugged in a servo tester and powered up the xp-7a to verify I had the motor spinning the correct way and luckily it was correct the first time.

Then I added a very short male mCP-x battery lead to the xp-7a power input to make it a PNP conversion like wowhobbies has. Next I desoldered the throttle lead and replaced those spots with "the steve" soldering the black/red/blue leads. I added a plug to the yellow lead to plug in the brushed output on the main board. Last thing is to double side tape it all up front and try to clean up the wires.

I read Matt Bockmans guide allot on how to do most of this plus looking at wow's PNP kit to come up with what I did.

My AUW w/out battery is 38.1g and stock is usually 38.6g w/out battery. So I'm still .5g lighter with a PNP conversion kit! Its funny Horizon Hobby said it would be heavier to make it brushless in the promo videos before the mCP-x came out.
HugoCraft is online now Find More Posts by HugoCraft
Last edited by HugoCraft; Oct 01, 2011 at 09:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2011, 09:42 PM
Aerobatic Fanatic
Joined Sep 2007
2,884 Posts
more info cross-posted on helifreak:

http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=344505
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:50 PM
Aerobatic Fanatic
Joined Sep 2007
2,884 Posts
Videos:

Brushless Blade mCP-X (0 min 50 sec)

Brushless Blade mCP-x on a Sunday Morning (12 min 12 sec)