HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:57 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,095 Posts
Hi. Thanks for your comments. The thread is basically about the impact of OIS/stabilisation and the interaction with vibrations, particularly on multirotors. It has been well proven that the OIS Canon uses in both s90./95 etc is more problematic for AP. Many users report difficulty with vibe in shots compared to cameras with no IS/OIS.

We all love our S90/95, but they are not at all easy to tame for multis. There have only been a couple of users on this thread who report success, and of course you have had success too. I would say your system/frame is really good, and that accounts for your high success rate.

Isolation, motors, frame, props, balancing all impact. But the hassle guys have in attempting to recitfy this, is sometimes not worht the hassle, and easier to switch cameras. This thread documents attempts to rectify, attempts with other cameras, and vibe solutions etc.

Nobody is bashing the s90/95. We are simply trying to use these excellent cameras on our multis, but having limited success (most of us), but not all of us.

Anyway, camerawise, the sensor size has moved on, and the s Series has catching up to do compared to the huge sensor in nex7, RX100, etc etc. But Canon will respond I'm sure.

Well done on your images. If you could share your motor,frame, system info, might be useful. Keep us posted.

Regards
Rick
uptime4downtime is offline Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phantom Vision+ tips
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:58 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerhill View Post
Hey there. Have you tried that Tel Aviv mount yet? Looks interesting and the price is right considering all the fooling around I've done to dampen vibes.

Steve
Thanks Steve. Yes, that's the one I got., I'll get the 1K version if this isn't big enough. It's on the way over here. Price is right and saves the hassle of trying to buld one. I coul;dn't build one for that price!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:08 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
787 Posts
I've been using a Nikon S3300 lately. Some photos are a bit blurred and some are really sharp. Can someone tell me what settings I can change that will give me more predictable results?
I can change the ISO settings. Up until now it's been on "auto" but I read the first post about dialing the ISO downward. I can set it as low as 100. Also, when doing AP should I have the auto focus "single" Or "Full time AF"?
I like the S3300 for the most part but would like it to be more predictable. In the meantime based on posts here, I've gone a step backward in resolution and bought a good used A490.
I have found a really good camera gimbal for the hobbyist that needs no other vibration isolation. It's a bit "loose" for video but for photos it completely isolates the camera as far as vibrations go.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251215164547
But I have gone ahead and got this upgrade which should also take away any unwanted camera sway.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251222975983...84.m1497.l2649
Navy Jet Mech is offline Find More Posts by Navy Jet Mech
Last edited by Navy Jet Mech; Feb 23, 2013 at 10:55 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:28 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,095 Posts
Hi there. I would start with setting you camera to shutter priority. If it does not have this, then yes, you can use the Canon with CHDK if it allows that, and get manual control via this firmware hack.

To start with, I would aim for shutter speeds of at leat 1/500th or 1/1000 and then work from there to find the machines lowest acceptable speed to 'freeze' movement.

Then yes, ISO 100 is cleanest, but for testing, run with 200-400iso. It wont be that bad.

Single AF is probably more suitable. Re vibes, if you plan on simply stills, you could get away with a simple isolated mount, but the gimbal is good for future video work if you wish. I'm hard mounting, as I only require stills thus far. How balanced are your props, motors? This will make a difference, plus is seems some bearings etc make some motors much more vibration prone.

Keep us updated
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:30 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
787 Posts
Since those shots were taken, I invested in a good Dubro prop balancer and found, much to my dismay, that the Topflite magnetic balancer was way off. Now if the weather around here would just cooperate, I'll get out and do some more AP to see if there's any difference. One prop was pretty badly off.
I will try your other suggestions on shutter speed when my canon gets here. The Nikon doesn't have shutter priority settings. It's a pretty basic PnS camera.
After checking my props, I'm pretty sure it's a prop issue more than anything. Thanks.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:08 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptime4downtime View Post
Thanks Steve. Yes, that's the one I got., I'll get the 1K version if this isn't big enough. It's on the way over here. Price is right and saves the hassle of trying to buld one. I coul;dn't build one for that price!
I have tried that mount and to be honest I wasn't impressed with it. My personaly opinion is that it works ok with heavy cameras but it's too stiff for point and shoot cameras.
If you have anything even one bit out of balance you will still have problems with this mount.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:20 PM
Vermont
Joined Dec 2003
840 Posts
When I designed/built my quad frame I incorporated the camera mount (with tilt) and gear into the frame. I kinda wish I attached the camera mount (and landing gear really) with a foam pad and elastic bands the way you attach the wing to a plane. I already have two vibration reduction systems and am getting 60 percent good images. I have been really happy with the A3300 and the CHDK however and guess I will keep figuring better ways to cut the vibs down. What would you say Navyjet, Bowman and Thnilsen are you getting as a percentage of good images. So many people have had such good luck with that A490 I wonder if I should try one. So frustrating you work forever on this stuff and still get a bunch of blurry images, ahhh.
spacecase is offline Find More Posts by spacecase
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:42 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
787 Posts
I have a Nikon 7600 that I get some really great shots with. At 7mp it might not be up to professional standards but for internet posts it's great. I have an extra 7600 I'd sell if anyone is interested. It doesn't have anything done to it as far as triggering. It's bone stock and comes with a 2gig (max size) sd card.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:15 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,958 Posts
An overhead pic from my flamewheel 450 taken with my A490, using CHDK to fire it every 2 seconds.
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:28 PM
France
Joined Sep 2007
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecase View Post
I already have two vibration reduction systems and am getting 60 percent good images. I have been really happy with the A3300 and the CHDK however and guess I will keep figuring better ways to cut the vibs down. What would you say Navyjet, Bowman and Thnilsen are you getting as a percentage of good images. So many people have had such good luck with that A490 I wonder if I should try one. So frustrating you work forever on this stuff and still get a bunch of blurry images, ahhh.
With my OIS Canon SD940, for outdoor pics nearly 100 % success, if failed it's because of a too quick movement of my quadcopter (pilot's fault ), for indoor pics I would say about 75 % success. Even at 1/60s, as you can see in the first pic (very grainy because set to 1600 iso due to lack of light).
No vibration reduction system, only good balanced motors and props. My homemade gimbal is gravity stabilized, ok for photography but not for video.

Hope that helps.
Denis
Bowman813 is offline Find More Posts by Bowman813
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:56 PM
Norway, Hordaland, Os
Joined Nov 2004
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecase View Post
When I designed/built my quad frame I incorporated the camera mount (with tilt) and gear into the frame. I kinda wish I attached the camera mount (and landing gear really) with a foam pad and elastic bands the way you attach the wing to a plane. I already have two vibration reduction systems and am getting 60 percent good images. I have been really happy with the A3300 and the CHDK however and guess I will keep figuring better ways to cut the vibs down. What would you say Navyjet, Bowman and Thnilsen are you getting as a percentage of good images. So many people have had such good luck with that A490 I wonder if I should try one. So frustrating you work forever on this stuff and still get a bunch of blurry images, ahhh.
I snapped about 100 photos during the last session, and out of those I would say that 90-95 of them are of OK quality for a point and shoot camera - but I'm no expert so someone doing this for a living would probably disagree. I have done my best to balance motors (using the jumping laser method) and the props, but the photos would not be any good if I left the vibration mount out of the setup.

But you can't go wrong with the A490. Takes good pictures, it's cheap and it's light. All the things you want from something hanging in the air.

- Thomas
thnilsen is offline Find More Posts by thnilsen
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:06 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowman813 View Post
With my OIS Canon SD940, for outdoor pics nearly 100 % success, if failed it's because of a too quick movement of my quadcopter (pilot's fault ), for indoor pics I would say about 75 % success. Even at 1/60s, as you can see in the first pic (very grainy because set to 1600 iso due to lack of light).
No vibration reduction system, only good balanced motors and props. My homemade gimbal is gravity stabilized, ok for photography but not for video.

Hope that helps.
Denis
This is very interesting. 1/60 is an amazing feat to be honest. That gravity stabilised gimbal is very interesting!. Thanks for posting
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:06 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thnilsen View Post
I snapped about 100 photos during the last session, and out of those I would say that 90-95 of them are of OK quality for a point and shoot camera - but I'm no expert so someone doing this for a living would probably disagree. I have done my best to balance motors (using the jumping laser method) and the props, but the photos would not be any good if I left the vibration mount out of the setup.

But you can't go wrong with the A490. Takes good pictures, it's cheap and it's light. All the things you want from something hanging in the air.

- Thomas
I am going to look into that motor balancing method.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:07 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,095 Posts
My new Y6 is being finalised. I'll post pics and flight reports once camera mount system is finalised etc. CC3d (t-6 frame actually)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:09 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowman813 View Post

Hope that helps.
Denis
Denis, do you have a shot of your entire system? And the specs? That is the lowest shutter speed I've ever seen used, and I assume it's a multirotor, so it is quite something I reckon!
RCG Plus Member