HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2011, 02:07 PM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick662u View Post
Yes. Gopro 2 may be the ticket, but no manual controls will put off some people. But, people still pull off pro material with the gopro so it can be done.
Lots of reality shows and shows like Mythbusters use GoPros for lots of footage. It's not perfect for every use but for what the GoPro is it's hard to beat what it can do. I just put away my A640 for a photo job and used the Hero2 recently. Got $250 from that job that delivered 3 finished photos of a house. Paid for that camera. Every tool has it's job and the kind of jobs I like to play around with the Hero 2 does the majority of what I want/need.
frogman1206 is offline Find More Posts by frogman1206
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2011, 04:34 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,097 Posts
I'd agree - it's light, simple and quality images. Really, pretty hard to beat it!
uptime4downtime is offline Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phantom Vision+ tips
Old Nov 18, 2011, 07:32 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,097 Posts
Hey frogman. Can you confirm you can 'Zoom' in with stills on the gopro2? What options are there for that? I'd like to take out some distortion but without lowering the sensor megapixels below 6 to 8 mp for example. Have you tried that?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2011, 09:46 PM
Gary
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
2,104 Posts
I am using the GoPro now, just experimenting with the Sony HDR. The Sony has superior video, no doubt, but is much heavier and shakes more. I'm still trying to work out if it is the new quad, the weight, or the camera mount.
glmccready is offline Find More Posts by glmccready
Old Nov 18, 2011, 11:11 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glmccready View Post
I am using the GoPro now, just experimenting with the Sony HDR. The Sony has superior video, no doubt, but is much heavier and shakes more. I'm still trying to work out if it is the new quad, the weight, or the camera mount.
Thanks for the update. Please keep us updated as I will when I get to fly next week. My alt and loiter mode resulted in a crash. Need to update my numbers as I got lots of motor pulsing. Started decending quickly, changed mode, but applied throttle too late. No damage as I had bumper bars installed! No cameras yet as I wanted to test those two modes out and check temps. Rick
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2011, 02:43 AM
I'll fly anything...
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2007
963 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I'm just too lazy to walk to the park. I know some of us can fly there... wont mention any names .... :-))))
Too windy there today so I flew on the lawn with the trees sheltering. It was gusting 40-50Km/hr in the open and what was getting between the trees was heaps of fun!

Pete
Efliernz is offline Find More Posts by Efliernz
Old Nov 19, 2011, 03:02 AM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,097 Posts
Nice going. I got mine in the garden just to check the gps was working...just sat on the ground watching lights flash.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2011, 03:31 AM
I'll fly anything...
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2007
963 Posts
Today I got the camera stabilization up and running on the Hoverflypro board. I had to test it... I'm really frustrated that I spent decent $$$ on "good" micro digital servos that have poor meshing causing a wobble I flew The LX3 on video mode so i could critique it.
Much work to do though. OK for stills but too bumpy for video. Let's hope for at least 30 minutes of sub 10k winds in the morning...
I am looking at building by own belt-drive mount. I want the mount sorted before I start building the new hex.

Pete
Efliernz is offline Find More Posts by Efliernz
Old Nov 20, 2011, 01:01 AM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,097 Posts
Good on you for trying that out. Have a carbon 2 way mount here I might try to hooking up. Yes, be interested to see if your belt drive is more refined movement wise. Rick
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2011, 07:49 AM
USA, VT, Brandon
Joined Aug 2004
1,342 Posts
Hey Frogman. I'm thinking of doing the same thing. My quad can't carry the weight of the A640. I tried to take it up the other day to test it's video output and after a couple of minutes it came down like a rock and crashed onto my roof and tumbled to the ground. No damage at all to frame or camera to my amazement. But I can't go out and shoot a job without feeling that the system is virtually bullet proof.

I'm now left with the decision of getting a larger quad/hex/octo, or a smaller camera. I recently got the hero2 but haven't been able to test it in the air yet. Could you post one of the images you got so I could see what it looks like "on the job"?

I'm waiting for a time when we have some sun and lower wind to test out the various options of the Hero2.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogman1206 View Post
Lots of reality shows and shows like Mythbusters use GoPros for lots of footage. It's not perfect for every use but for what the GoPro is it's hard to beat what it can do. I just put away my A640 for a photo job and used the Hero2 recently. Got $250 from that job that delivered 3 finished photos of a house. Paid for that camera. Every tool has it's job and the kind of jobs I like to play around with the Hero 2 does the majority of what I want/need.
millerhill is offline Find More Posts by millerhill
Old Nov 20, 2011, 07:54 AM
USA, VT, Brandon
Joined Aug 2004
1,342 Posts
Really. If you're into go pro you must see this. I don't know how many cameras they used, but it looks like a lot.

DC SHOES: Ken Block's Gymkhana THREE, Part 2; Ultimate Playground; l'Autodrome, France (7 min 42 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogman1206 View Post
millerhill is offline Find More Posts by millerhill
Old Nov 20, 2011, 08:07 AM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerhill View Post
Hey Frogman. I'm thinking of doing the same thing. My quad can't carry the weight of the A640. I tried to take it up the other day to test it's video output and after a couple of minutes it came down like a rock and crashed onto my roof and tumbled to the ground. No damage at all to frame or camera to my amazement. But I can't go out and shoot a job without feeling that the system is virtually bullet proof.

I'm now left with the decision of getting a larger quad/hex/octo, or a smaller camera. I recently got the hero2 but haven't been able to test it in the air yet. Could you post one of the images you got so I could see what it looks like "on the job"?

I'm waiting for a time when we have some sun and lower wind to test out the various options of the Hero2.

Steve
Here's a thread where I posted some images from the Hero2. The second image was cropped in a little (zoomed in) in post as the backlit sun darkened it a bit. It was the brightest of the bunch but was a little crooked so we zoomed in and straightened it. The first image was not cropped much at all. The third image had almost no cropping either. It is almost straight out of the cam.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1536973

I have not shot any images in 8mp MED mode yet with the 127 FOV. The stuff I have shot images of have always benefited from the WIDE mode. I don't mind the fisheye look for most things. I just haven't had a project yet where I wanted to make sure the fisheye was gone.

The 11mp will give you a little flexibility to zoom in more than the old 5mp images will. You still can't zoom as much as with a big sensor camera but you get a little more leeway than the original HD Hero.

For video here is thread where I posted some video I finally got to shoot with it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1540013

I did try doing a timelapse video with the Hero2 yesterday set to 2 seconds. I shot about 45 minutes of myself and a friend raking the church yard to clean it up. Worked great and took 1352 images. Problem was at 11mp I almost filled up the card and it took a loooonnnng time to assemble the sequence of images in my editing app. I shoulda shot them at 5mp since it is all being dumbed down to 1920x1080 anyway. The extra megapixels don't help any. It was fun to try though. Here is what looked like. It was very cloudy and dark but we had fun anyway.

A timelapse showing the fun of raking the yard at our church. (0 min 45 sec)
Old Nov 20, 2011, 08:09 AM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,712 Posts
Quote:
Hey frogman. Can you confirm you can 'Zoom' in with stills on the gopro2? What options are there for that? I'd like to take out some distortion but without lowering the sensor megapixels below 6 to 8 mp for example. Have you tried that?
In camera in 11mp mode the only option is WIDE. At 8mp you can select MED or WIDE. MED will be 127 FOV. THere may be a little fisheye look in that mode but not as much.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:40 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,097 Posts
I would be very interested to see a MED view image. The gopro is growing on me
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2011, 02:45 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,097 Posts
I took the v-tail octo on its first job today. Payload was Nikon D5100 DSLR and kit 18-55 lens. Running at 800th. Going to do some more work on mounts today while the weather is rubbish
v-tail octo first day on the job (4 min 23 sec)
RCG Plus Member