SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Oct 01, 2011, 08:35 PM
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Feb 2010
157 Posts
Question
What hinge tape to use

I want to add flaps to my Parkzone T-28D, Im wondering what Hinge tape is best to use, that will suit the plane the best
Thanks
Danyal is offline Find More Posts by Danyal
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2011, 10:57 PM
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined Jul 2011
61 Posts
3m Blenderm is probably the best tape for hinges. I just added flaps to my T-28D, and I used 3m Transpore tape because I couldn't find any Blenderm locally. Transpore is basically the same tape as Blenderm but with micro holes to help it breathe. I'm definitely pleased with it so far.
enracer is offline Find More Posts by enracer
Old Oct 01, 2011, 11:58 PM
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Feb 2010
157 Posts
Would a 1" roll be okay, or would 2" be better
Thanks
Old Oct 02, 2011, 01:51 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,528 Posts
Tape has negligible weight on a plane like the Trojan, and the extra width will be good for a little more staying power, but I think either would be fine.

I'd personally go with the 2" stuff because there might be a future application that needs a wider piece of tape, and you can always cut it smaller if needed.

Ordinary packing tape will also do the job, but Blenderm is just... More awesome. It's very flexible and it can be formed to curves much more easily than regular cellophane-type tapes, and it has a nice soft surface to it. It's also hypoallergenic, just in case that matters
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Oct 02, 2011, 01:55 AM
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Feb 2010
157 Posts
had to get the 1" cause I couldnt find the 2" in stock anywhere
Anyways
Thanks
Last edited by Danyal; Oct 02, 2011 at 02:27 AM.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 10:47 AM
Card Carrying Old Fart
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyal View Post
had to get the 1" cause I couldnt find the 2" in stock anywhere
Anyways
Thanks
Blenderm is super stuff. I have never seen another tape that sticks so well. And it is very tuff. The biggest aircraft I have used it on for some 1.5" x 17" ailerons on a plane and it has worked well. The 1" wide will do just fine.
Rickochet is online now Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Oct 03, 2011, 11:32 PM
REAL old new guy!
United States, HI
Joined Jul 2011
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
Blenderm is super stuff. I have never seen another tape that sticks so well. And it is very tuff. The biggest aircraft I have used it on for some 1.5" x 17" ailerons on a plane and it has worked well. The 1" wide will do just fine.
Do you run the tape the entire length of the aileron or just a few short pieces every few inches.
Dakine48 is offline Find More Posts by Dakine48
Old Oct 03, 2011, 11:59 PM
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined Jul 2011
61 Posts
Run it the entire length of your flap. Do the top first, then fold the flap all the way up and run another piece along the underside. The 1" tape should fit the underside perfectly.
enracer is offline Find More Posts by enracer
Old Oct 04, 2011, 12:19 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,528 Posts
The way that works best for me is to take the tape and apply it to the control surface first (do the entire length of the hinge). This should be done on a flat, hard surface to avoid any slight warps. Then take the part and slowly, carefully place it in its final position, keeping it slightly deflected to prevent the tape from grabbing too early, and making sure everything is nice and even.

Start pressing the tape down at the hinge line from the center outward, moving slowly and carefully to avoid wrinkles. Once it's all nice and tight, give the surface a few experimental up/down cycles to see if it's moving smoothly.

Now flip the wing over and fold the flap all the way back flat against the wing. Take a second piece of tape and apply it in a similar manner to the first, making sure to keep wrinkles to zero...

These hinges will outlast the plane.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Oct 04, 2011, 06:01 AM
Card Carrying Old Fart
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakine48 View Post
Do you run the tape the entire length of the aileron or just a few short pieces every few inches.
Do it as enracer suggested. Be careful not to get the Blenderm stuck to itself because it won't come loose. Good stuff.
Rickochet is online now Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Oct 04, 2011, 06:47 PM
REAL old new guy!
United States, HI
Joined Jul 2011
491 Posts
Thanks guys!
Dakine48 is offline Find More Posts by Dakine48
Old Oct 07, 2011, 05:54 PM
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Feb 2010
157 Posts
Thanks everyone for the great tips and help!
Closed Thread