HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2011, 07:04 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,262 Posts
Discussion
Sterling plans for R/C Cessna 180

Hello everybody, I am in the need of the Sterling Cessna 180 plan from kit FS2 with 45 inches span with parts. The plan does not include the parts so I think they have to be scanned from a kit. Thanks for your help
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2011, 12:58 AM
Surrey B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 2000
249 Posts
The plans & patterns you want are at http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_plans/index.php . But first you have to register in the builders forum. Then you have to apply to get into the plans section which can take up to 12 hours. And I have been looking for the 180 patterns for years so it's nice to finally have them.
David Pentland is offline Find More Posts by David Pentland
Old Oct 04, 2011, 10:45 AM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,262 Posts
Hello David, you are very kind. However, I did not find the Radio Control version of Sterling's Cessna 180 plans on Hippocket. They only have the rubber powered version. If you have the link to the RC version please let me have it. Thanks for your efforts.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 06:56 PM
Joined Jul 2005
1,872 Posts
Ed....

I did both of the 180's (for 1/2 A engines) for the Berkeley and for the DelGatto plan in Autocad. Both still have the wing struts on them. Never ever got in to the sterling version as it did not have the struts per pictures of back when.

Have you gone to the vintage Sterling web site?

Wm.
coosbaylumber is offline Find More Posts by coosbaylumber
Old Oct 04, 2011, 07:29 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,262 Posts
I have the original plans for Berkeley/Del Gatto Cessna 180 plans. I have in paper the Sterling RC 45" span version but no parts!!! Since the plan doesn't have a top view, it is extremely difficult to obtain them. Yes, I have visited the Sterling web site but I prefer to exchange plans between friends. By the way, the RC version does have wing struts!!
Thanks again,

Eduardo
Old Oct 04, 2011, 10:17 PM
Surrey B.C. Canada
Joined Nov 2000
249 Posts
Darn, your right it is the rubber powered one. I have the same plans as you. In fact I bought from 2 different sources hoping to get templates. The kits come up for sale on ebay, but are priced beyond what I want to pay. Sorry, I tried.
David Pentland is offline Find More Posts by David Pentland
Old Oct 05, 2011, 09:13 AM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,262 Posts
You did try, thanks a lot!!! If you ever come across the parts for the RC version, let me know. If I get hold of them, I will let you know. Let's have faith!!!
Old Oct 09, 2011, 12:04 PM
Joined Jan 2007
23 Posts
Edubarca, I just acquired the FS2 kit. I'll get a copy of the plans for you, but I'll have to take a look at what it takes to scan the parts. I have a long flatbed scanner, but I don't want to risk damaging any of the kit sheets. It's still new in the box (even though the metal cowl has some rust on it.....)
keeferm is offline Find More Posts by keeferm
Old Oct 09, 2011, 03:16 PM
Joined Jan 2007
23 Posts
Scans of parts, plans

Hi -
The parts scanned OK, but the fuselage side sheets prove a bit difficult to find the die cut edges amongst the grain. I used a 600 dpi scan on the fuselage sides which helps, but you'll have to figure out how to register the 3-page long pdf of the fuselage side.
Send me your email address and I'll send you the scans and the pdf of the plans later this week. Better yet, since the scans alone are about 42 Mb, I can put them on a CD and mail them with a hard copy of the plan.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 04:03 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeferm View Post
Edubarca, I just acquired the FS2 kit. I'll get a copy of the plans for you, but I'll have to take a look at what it takes to scan the parts. I have a long flatbed scanner, but I don't want to risk damaging any of the kit sheets. It's still new in the box (even though the metal cowl has some rust on it.....)
Hello keeferm

Thank you so much for all your efforts. Lucky you with an original kit. You shouldn't build it. Make a copy of all parts and plans, cut them out and build a replica. The original kit must always be kept intact!!

Really, the only parts I need are the fuselage ones including all formers etc. except the fuselage sides because they are on the plan and can easily be vectorized for laser cutting. I would also need all tail parts (except fin/rudder, also on the plan), mostly stabilizer ribs and, of course, wing ribs and reinforcements. The rest of the parts can be worked out from the plans. You are so kind wanting to send me the CD with the scanned parts. 300 dpi scan is good enough and I can vectorize the parts from that resolution. You might also want to carefully pass a ball point pen or fine pencil at all die cuts of parts so they can be scanned and appear well enough. This might be time consuming but perhaps very helpful. Try hotfile.com if you want to upload them instead of sending them in physical CD by airmail. If not possible, I will give you my home address in Bogotá.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 06:35 PM
Joined Jul 2005
1,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Pentland View Post
Darn, your right it is the rubber powered one. I have the same plans as you. In fact I bought from 2 different sources hoping to get templates. The kits come up for sale on ebay, but are priced beyond what I want to pay. Sorry, I tried.
Both of the new models are glow powered. The Del Gatto never came out as a kit, far as I know. The Berkeley model has a flat w/s of over 35 inch and Paul's is a bit over 41 inches.

Wm.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 06:41 PM
Joined Jul 2005
1,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeferm View Post
Hi -
The parts scanned OK, but the fuselage side sheets prove a bit difficult to find the die cut edges amongst the grain. I used a 600 dpi scan on the fuselage sides which helps, but you'll have to figure out how to register the 3-page long pdf of the fuselage sides.
I think you are scanning at wrong ratio. Try about 250 DPI and use the new (freebie) Wintopo. Can be scanned and cropped all in one move, then converted and shipped at less than 5 meg. Check with Yahoo groups if any trouble.

Wm.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 07:09 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosbaylumber View Post
Both of the new models are glow powered. The Del Gatto never came out as a kit, far as I know. The Berkeley model has a flat w/s of over 35 inch and Paul's is a bit over 41 inches.

Wm.
Berkeley's kit was designed by the late Paul E. Del Gatto, Of that I'm sure because I have the original kit plan in paper unless it is not saying the truth which I don't think so.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 09:22 PM
Joined Jan 2007
23 Posts
Sent you a PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edubarca View Post
Hello keeferm

Thank you so much for all your efforts. ...............
Try hotfile.com if you want to upload them instead of sending them in physical CD by airmail. If not possible, I will give you my home address in Bogotá.
Good luck with the build - I hope this helps! Let me know if the link in the PM I sent is faulty.

Keefer
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:10 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,262 Posts
Hello Keefer, Thank you very, very much for the hotfile attachment. It arrived perfectly and your scans are very well done. I will adapt them for vectorizing and laser cut. I will post my results here. It might take a little time but I will do it. My Father flew all the way from Wichita to Bogotá through Central America no less than four Cessna 180s. He was a private pilot way back in the fifties and he loved the 180. That is one of the reasons I have always wanted to build this special version of the 180. A real classic airplane. Thanks again!!