Old Oct 13, 2011, 04:29 PM
Fly More Crash Less
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Sep 2007
1,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmoose View Post
Not that size, and not PnP. No way.

Show me a 63" balsa Pitts. The Sebart is the best one out there and it's only 53"...and you're looking at about $600 to get it in the air. (if you use cheap components)
Good point but you would still want to put good components in this one I am assuming so that adds to the $300 price tag. It is a good buy based on the size. I still would like a ARF/kit version myself so I could choose what to put in it.
AZAerobat is offline Find More Posts by AZAerobat
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2011, 04:31 PM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZAerobat View Post
Good point but you would still want to put good components in this one I am assuming so that adds to the $300 price tag. It is a good buy based on the size. I still would like a ARF/kit version myself so I could choose what to put in it.
Agreed!
djmoose is offline Find More Posts by djmoose
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:37 PM
Fly More Crash Less
Joined Sep 2007
1,307 Posts
Quote:
Agreed!
I have been thinking about it Moose and I guess my point is that I can get a 59" AJ Slick for $300 bucks. Yes it is going to cost more than the bipe to equip but I know I am getting a great plane to begin with that is almost 63". Granted it is not a Bipe, who doesn't love a great bipe, but it is a great platform to start with and has the added rigidity of balsa.

I could get this Bipe then have to rip everything out and put my own decent quality gear into it which would cost less than setting up the AJ Slick (I would assume) but there still is no guarantee it would fly as well as the Slick for being a 3D ship. One thing I do like that initially I did not understand until I saw the pictures was the 4 9g servos on a bird this size. I think it is a pretty cool idea to give each aileron it's own servo!

I am just going to wait for now until these hit the market to make a decision. I do really want a larger bird especially a Bipe. Right now the biggest I have is 48" Edge.

Do I smell a "Should I buy it" segment here? That would be awesome once they are out.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:12 PM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,216 Posts
Dude, everything you've said is EXACTLY right.

There are NO better flying planes then 3DHS and Extreme Flight.

This plane is really cool. I can't wait to see how it flies. I can't imagine in a million years it flies anywhere near as good as a 3DHS or Extreme Flight.

This is only cool because it's HUGE and should be able to fly decent 3D. It's a huge pitts!! It's 10" bigger then the Sebart!! It does look great!!

See, this plane is neat because it's crossing that line. Large EPO warbirds don't REALLY need to be designed as well as a 3D plane....they can get away with that and satisfy the warbird fans. (myself included)

No way do I think this is for anyone LEARNING 3D. In my opinion, this is going to be a great sport plane with decent 3D ability for pilots with the skills.

That being said, I'm very interested to see flight reports from skilled un-biased 3D pilots.

Pete is a great pilot...however...we all know he's trying his hardest to SELL PLANES.

I don't plan on getting one...right away at least. I'm waiting to find out the manufacturer and how the gear holds up....and it's true post-stall characteristics.

I'll be following it indeed!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZAerobat View Post
I have been thinking about it Moose and I guess my point is that I can get a 59" AJ Slick for $300 bucks. Yes it is going to cost more than the bipe to equip but I know I am getting a great plane to begin with that is almost 63". Granted it is not a Bipe, who doesn't love a great bipe, but it is a great platform to start with and has the added rigidity of balsa.

I could get this Bipe then have to rip everything out and put my own decent quality gear into it which would cost less than setting up the AJ Slick (I would assume) but there still is no guarantee it would fly as well as the Slick for being a 3D ship. One thing I do like that initially I did not understand until I saw the pictures was the 4 9g servos on a bird this size. I think it is a pretty cool idea to give each aileron it's own servo!

I am just going to wait for now until these hit the market to make a decision. I do really want a larger bird especially a Bipe. Right now the biggest I have is 48" Edge.

Do I smell a "Should I buy it" segment here? That would be awesome once they are out.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:15 AM
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,065 Posts
300 dlls is a big deal.

This AW cost twice and only 4 servos for ailerons cost more than 300 dlls.
a and also is 63 inches.

Manuel V.
manuel v is offline Find More Posts by manuel v
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:47 AM
Fly More Crash Less
Joined Sep 2007
1,307 Posts
Quote:
Dude, everything you've said is EXACTLY right.

There are NO better flying planes then 3DHS and Extreme Flight.

This plane is really cool. I can't wait to see how it flies. I can't imagine in a million years it flies anywhere near as good as a 3DHS or Extreme Flight.

This is only cool because it's HUGE and should be able to fly decent 3D. It's a huge pitts!! It's 10" bigger then the Sebart!! It does look great!!

See, this plane is neat because it's crossing that line. Large EPO warbirds don't REALLY need to be designed as well as a 3D plane....they can get away with that and satisfy the warbird fans. (myself included)

No way do I think this is for anyone LEARNING 3D. In my opinion, this is going to be a great sport plane with decent 3D ability for pilots with the skills.

That being said, I'm very interested to see flight reports from skilled un-biased 3D pilots.

Pete is a great pilot...however...we all know he's trying his hardest to SELL PLANES.

I don't plan on getting one...right away at least. I'm waiting to find out the manufacturer and how the gear holds up....and it's true post-stall characteristics.

I'll be following it indeed!!
Bravo! Very well said! I am going to take the same route. I am only just learning 3D and I am currently teaching myself on a flat foamie and an orange Buck Huck (with about a million sessions of Phoenix mixed in). I am very intrigued by this plane just because it is a Pitts! Check out my avatar, dare I say it a HK Pitts and it is a great plane with a a few mods but it is no where near this size class. It is a sport plane not a 3D plane and I have a few other foamie sport planes in my hanger. I just feel if they tout it as a 3D plane it should be able to do so, if not then tell me that. Be honest. I am giving you my honest hard earned money be honest with me. I know Pete is a great pilot and that can really be deceiving especially to people who are just getting into the hobby.

I am anxiously awaiting some flight reports hopefully by the end of the year. Biplanes especially Pitts are just too cool!!
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:51 AM
Fly More Crash Less
Joined Sep 2007
1,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by manuel v View Post
300 dlls is a big deal.

This AW cost twice and only 4 servos for ailerons cost more than 300 dlls.
a and also is 63 inches.

Manuel V.
I bet it flies 3D much better too.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 01:05 AM
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,065 Posts
O yes 8- 9 lbs vs 15-16lbs same area.

Manuel V.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 07:32 AM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Dec 2010
333 Posts
Well ,I guess it's true,there's a sucker born every minute !!!Banana hobbies planes are junk,but not cheap junk !!!
planesilver is offline Find More Posts by planesilver
Old Oct 14, 2011, 07:41 AM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planesilver View Post
Well ,I guess it's true,there's a sucker born every minute !!!Banana hobbies planes are junk,but not cheap junk !!!
I would say there is a pilot every minute who buys a plane he/she shouldn't be flying.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 01:01 PM
Fly More Crash Less
Joined Sep 2007
1,307 Posts
Quote:
I would say there is a pilot every minute who buys a plane he/she shouldn't be flying.
+1

Most of the time they are not pilots, yet in my opinion. They are still in the learning phase of the hobby and buy a plane they shouldn't have.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 06:57 PM
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,065 Posts
Anyone can get on the plane you want, whenever you can afford.
What can not and should not do is blow something inappropriate for their experience.
Flying RC aircraft requires a training program.

The stores do not care

Manuel V.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 12:06 AM
Fly More Crash Less
Joined Sep 2007
1,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by manuel v View Post
Anyone can get on the plane you want, whenever you can afford.
What can not and should not do is blow something inappropriate for their experience.
Flying RC aircraft requires a training program.

The stores do not care

Manuel V.
My point exactly.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 06:16 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
Caveat Emptor! Truer words never spoken.Research into what's out there is your only defense. Hope this turns out to be a decent plane, cuz I like the looks, but I'm withholding judgement.(Means I'll let somebody else buy and fly the first few, THEN decide!)
EZglider is offline Find More Posts by EZglider
Old Oct 15, 2011, 04:04 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
I don't know about anti BH members, but I think this Pitts will meet my expectations.
Now, if only we could have reverse the Pitts decal on the vertical......
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing