SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 01, 2011, 11:18 AM
No substitute for aspect ratio
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,263 Posts
Discussion
45th Annual Cumberland Soar For Fun - November 5-6, 2011

45th Annual Cumberland Soar For Fun is set for November 5-6 on the border of Cumberland, MD and Wiley Ford, WV. A fantastic event with a long heritage. Field will be open Nov 4-7 for those wanting to make it a longer weekend. Flyer below and attached!

Steve
www.RCAeroTowing.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/RCAero...414480?sk=wall

SPasierb is offline Find More Posts by SPasierb
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2011, 10:29 AM
Afton VA
Joined Sep 2002
470 Posts
Oct aerotow at Cumberland?

Steve,
Isn't the "Aerotow" event Oct 13th - 17th?

http://www.highpoint-aviation.org/Events.html

The SFF is both slope and tow. Just a bit confused. Or is the Oct event a local club event? Or are they trying to separate the two types of events?

Who will be going to which? Oct should have a bit warmer weather.

Tom
tbroeski is offline Find More Posts by tbroeski
Old Oct 04, 2011, 12:46 PM
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,263 Posts
Yes, it can be and is confusing. The annual Soar For Fun is set for the November dates above.

Jim and the club have added an additional new date that is AEROTOW only on October 13-17. This is not in place of the annual SFF event. More information on RCGroups @ http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1368978

Personally, I can't make the October dates and will be planning on annual November trip.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 06:34 AM
aka eyesoar
Maryland
Joined Nov 2006
588 Posts
Let me try and add clarity:

The Cumberland Soar for Fun is an annual event sponsored by CASA ( www.soarcasa.org ) that grew out of a record attempt by Maynard Hill and his support group in DCRC (that later became CASA).

The Cumberland Soar for Fun has been held at the same location for the last forty-four years, typically in early November.

Over the years, members of the Cumberland Aircraft Model Society have helped CASA by making arrangements with the land owner to use the property for the SFF event.

I am a member of the local CAMS club and have attended all but three of the forty-four annual SFF events and have been the contact person for CASA over the last thirty plus years.

In 1991, I bought the property where the SFF is held and have continued to make it available for the event. As the property owner, I operate as the entity HighPoint Aviation.

The local CAMS club has always been of diverse interest with the main thing being powered airplanes. In 2005, the CAMS club lost their power field and I have hosted that group at the HighPoint Aviation field since. They continue to be of diverse interest with some being interested in soaring.

In 2009, aerotowing and giant scale soaring exploded onto the East Coast US scene and www.rcaerotowing.com is a manifestation of that. Numerous people who got involved in this segment of R/C asked about coming to Cumberland at other times of the year to enjoy the unique qualities of the HighPoint Aviation airfield.

As a result of this request, I started the Cumberland Spring AeroTow event in 2010. It has now been held two years running and has been well attended.

Last year, at the Soar for Fun, I was asked about the possibility of holding another aerotowing event (like the Spring event) in October when the weather is still reasonably warm. Therefore, the Cumberland Fall AeroTow Event was born and October 13-17, 2011 will be the first event.

These Spring of Fall AeroTow events are NOT meant to replace the Annual Soar for Fun event hosted by CASA. They just offer two more opportunities for people to come to Cumberland and enjoy the HighPoint Aviation airfield and specifically the rapidly emerging sport of aerotowing.

Sorry to run on so long, but I hope this has been helpful.
JimD
Arecer is offline Find More Posts by Arecer
Old Oct 25, 2011, 03:47 PM
But I am learning
USA, MD, Cumberland
Joined Apr 2008
1,047 Posts
Well I hope all the commotion and communication going on in this thread is not a direct reflection of the turn out for this event.

I have been looking forward to seeing some old faces, and getting some good stick time. See you all at the field.

Brian P.
I_Can't_Fly is offline Find More Posts by I_Can't_Fly
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2011, 08:53 AM
aka eyesoar
Maryland
Joined Nov 2006
588 Posts
As we get closer to the event, the forecast is looking better and better. Saturday's snow storm did us the favor of clearing out the sky! Now it is sunny and the forecast calls for sun everyday from now through the event with tempertures for the event in the high 50's to low 60's.

Remember, bring warm clothes and all of your airforce so you will be ready for every condition! The wind forecast has something for everyone over the five day period.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 08:38 PM
aka eyesoar
Maryland
Joined Nov 2006
588 Posts
Here is what the weather was like today (10/30/11) here in Western Maryland...what snow?? I wanted to use my skis and wow, the snow was almost all gone by 4:00pm.

This is my Sr. Telemaster doing tow duty with an Easy Glider:

Old Oct 30, 2011, 09:15 PM
But I am learning
USA, MD, Cumberland
Joined Apr 2008
1,047 Posts
I see how it is. Go find a secret place to fly from. It looks farther south down 220 (the windmills are closer). Is that the grass field runway near Rawlings?

Brian P.
I_Can't_Fly is offline Find More Posts by I_Can't_Fly
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2011, 09:40 PM
aka eyesoar
Maryland
Joined Nov 2006
588 Posts
Brian,

No, this is Gortner Airport just south of Oakland, MD.

Only takes about 1hr. 10mins to get there from Cumberland.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 09:42 PM
Joined Nov 2003
2,263 Posts
Selling my 4M Lunak scale ship at the Soar For Fun. Take a look here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post19741018
Old Nov 02, 2011, 06:42 AM
aka eyesoar
Maryland
Joined Nov 2006
588 Posts
Cumberland weather for November 3-7 is calling for sunny and sixty degrees for the duration.
Old Nov 02, 2011, 04:00 PM
aka eyesoar
Maryland
Joined Nov 2006
588 Posts
One of our local members just called me from the field. He has a dump truck and just finished spreading gravel on a few strategic places on the road. He says the sun is shining, the snow is gone, the road is clear, and the weather report looks great for the event!
Old Nov 08, 2011, 12:43 PM
aka eyesoar
Maryland
Joined Nov 2006
588 Posts
You could not have found a more perfect five days for this event!

Preliminary stats show 58 registered pilots representing 11 different states.
Old Nov 08, 2011, 12:47 PM
Joined Nov 2003
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arecer View Post
You could not have found a more perfect five days for this event!

Preliminary stats show 58 registered pilots representing 11 different states.
A fantastic turnout!

For anyone interested, great photographs (especially page two of the thread) and more information on the event can be found here:

http://www.rcaerotowing.com/forum/sh...1-MD-WV-Border