HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2012, 07:04 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
Just got back from park - This Plane is Kick ASS! Huge loops, powerful climb, excellent glide - say twice as powerful as HK miniswift but twice as small! will try inverted not sure though

<120 2s, 5gram BL and AR6400 brick makes this thing the PERFECT micro glider!
elvill is offline Find More Posts by elvill
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:45 PM
easily confused
Nashville Metro, Tennessee, United States
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvill View Post
Just got back from park - This Plane is Kick ASS! Huge loops, powerful climb, excellent glide - say twice as powerful as HK miniswift but twice as small! will try inverted not sure though

Most encouraging! Mine should be arriving in a week or so from HK. I'm leaving it stock, but my concerns were how well the airframe performed in a glide and the folding prop's function. I'm looking forward to trying to catch some 'slope' lift from buildings and trees around the parking lot I fly my other micro planes from. It's got pretty lines, wasn't expensive and should be fun. You seem to have addressed my questions!

I just wish one of these Sky 500 owners would put up a YouTube video of one of these acting like a motor glider, every single one I've seen shows the pilot treating it as a pylon racer, dipping and swooping around.

The NE Skysurfer looks like big fun as well with those longer high aspect ratio wings...I suspect that's on the list as well.

Can't wait for spring!
mu2freighter is offline Find More Posts by mu2freighter
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:23 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mu2freighter View Post
I'm looking forward to trying to catch some 'slope' lift from buildings and trees around the parking lot I fly my other micro planes from.

I just wish one of these Sky 500 owners would put up a YouTube video of one of these acting like a motor glider, every single one I've seen shows the pilot treating it as a pylon racer, dipping and swooping around.
pylon racer?! wasn't happy with underpowered tail heavy nature I've seen in videos. Not sure if the plane could slope in that configuration, problem too lite to handle wind really, while servo response is suspect, lipo placement and power appear lacking.

Mine appears to have lost the super slow glide of the stock plane but glide is good, plane cuts through lite wind, powers through big loops, can fly slow and fast. Ill post video when wife and weather agree

me too cant wait till spring
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:16 AM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
This plane is a darling, a jewel... a diamond in the rough! It is the Perfect Outdoor RET Brick Brushless Micro Glider Conversion! (thats pretty specific but very desirable given its a tiny glider, an easy conversion, and availablity of cheap brick/brushless gear!)

It is just rigid enough to handle power. 2s100's provide better glide, flies so nice. I love the folding prop and sound of bl motor! Super easy conversion. Mount ARbrick; same location using same pushrods. install 5gram with round disc laying flat against foam tape fuse together no need to glue motor in!

If you have the brick/bl gear and skilled to wire up for <2s180 lipo - this plane is a must have in your micro collection! A True BL Micro Glider - very impressive performance and looks! I'll post flight video, to back up my talk, always do, so impressed with it. I tried other small glider conversions but this one I absolutely love! will probably order two more kits!!!
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:51 PM
Joined Mar 2008
516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvill View Post

Wow sounds good to me elvill !

Im amazed that the little wing does not fold up on pull outs

How many grams is she elvill ? and are you using the stock magnets to hold the wing on (brave Man) would not what to see the magnets fail on a pull out (AHH that would be MEGA CATASRROPHIC)

Vid please! please! elvill

As you can see in this photo its has a thin wing ...

richos is offline Find More Posts by richos
Old Jan 26, 2012, 01:16 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richos View Post
Wow sounds good to me elvill !

Im amazed that the little wing does not fold up on pull outs

How many grams is she elvill ? and are you using the stock magnets to hold the wing on (brave Man) would not what to see the magnets fail on a pull out (AHH that would be MEGA CATASRROPHIC)

Vid please! please! elvill

As you can see in this photo its has a thin wing ...

yeah thought about reinforcing with 1 strip packing tape underside of main wing but I get no wing flex (5gramHK is perfect fit not over powered or too heavy at all) so don't need to yet, maybe as precaution.

Removed magnets and all extra plastic pieces to save weight - don't think magnets would hold while looping the plane - simple 3m tape to secure wing, no glue on this bird except dab to mount brick.

Not exactly sure about weight, don't have a scale, Id say its probably 5-8 grams heavier than stock, 2s 100-120 mah lipo is main culprit but also saved a little weight from removal of plastics.

Weather here finally looks good enough to convince wife to film

EDit: Im sure a 5030 would be better performance on this glider but I like the folding prop!
Last edited by elvill; Jan 26, 2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:58 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
sorry about newb video but wife said no and had to get a little video up - nice guy at the park...
Nine Eagles Sky500 Brushless Ar6400 (1 min 25 sec)

Had the motor off some to show glide. Pulling huge loops at the park flies like mini swift but wont roll no ailerons. I love this plane and encourage anyne who wants a tiny slope-ish micro glider! Will get better video very soon... I really don't see me wrecking this plane for a long time - its too good and barely bigger than my tx!

Edit: 120eflites from old beast used in video, is great @100 little fast @180
Last edited by elvill; Jan 26, 2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 09:55 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
Video begs the question - What makes a glider? motor or not?
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:55 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
I tried to check....

With motor shut down, the prop still spins, which, of course, is drag. I think that the stock, brush-motor hasn't enough friction to cause the prop to fold. A mod could be done, with a tiny piece of music wire, to fix this, or you can change over to brushless, and then maybe you can program it to brake, so it will fold.
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:26 AM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer31 View Post
With motor shut down, the prop still spins, which, of course, is drag. I think that the stock, brush-motor hasn't enough friction to cause the prop to fold. A mod could be done, with a tiny piece of music wire, to fix this, or you can change over to brushless, and then maybe you can program it to brake, so it will fold.
Mine is brushless - how do I program brake?
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:07 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
It all depends...

Most brushless ESCs allow programming through a series of transmitter manipulations, while some use a special electronic device.
Generally, a manual is provided with an ESC. Consulting that may prove enlightening.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:16 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
Mine uses Ar6400 brick, Im sure I could do a search... or just ask UNGN, BIM, Modfly, or others directly - they know more than me

Ohhh its the esc that I need to program?!

EDit: Maybe I dont need to worry about it, checked with hair dyer, throttle off prop dont spin, but not exactly immediate 'braking'.
Last edited by elvill; Jan 27, 2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Turns out these little ones don't....

I have the HK0104ARX-HBL unit on order for mine, and in checking the manual online, I find no mention of being able to program the ESC for braking, so, if I get concerned, (and my stock Sky 500 does keep windmilling, throttle off in flight-checked it twice), I will use the tiny music wire cat whisker on the spinner, as I have successfully done, in the past, to stop the prop.
Main thing is to enjoy these wonderful little planes! They are just what was needed.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 01:32 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer31 View Post
Main thing is to enjoy these wonderful little planes! They are just what was needed.
Couldn't agree more. This glider is amazingly small, powerful, nimble and long. Just inquired about a custom light set! Imagine that ultra micro glider with lights crazy fun!
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:35 PM
easily confused
Nashville Metro, Tennessee, United States
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Well, my Sky 500 showed up early when the postman dropped by this morning, along with a few extra HK goodies I needed, not bad time, all things considered. I placed the order on the 8th and it shipped on the 18th, so it took 10 days for a JIT plane to make it out the main warehouse door, and 10 more in transit from HK China to my door. As inexpensive as their stuff is I don't mind waiting a few extra days.

You weren't kidding, this is indeed a lovely little ship. I ordered a few extra NE batteries and the wall charger, popped one in and all's well. I only had to use my little hemostats on the rudder's U-bend to get it centered and was pleasantly surprised how smoothly and well the folding prop works. The plane balances right about 1/3 of the chord in so I believe it's all set.

Come the first warm windless morning of spring, I'm going motorgliding!
mu2freighter is offline Find More Posts by mu2freighter
Last edited by mu2freighter; Jan 28, 2012 at 12:40 PM.