SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 01, 2011, 10:03 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,780 Posts
Build Log
FROG build-off Oct 2011 - April 2012; ZEPHYR

Well, it is October 1st here in France, and since this idea was partly mine, I feel obliged to get things rolling, so I dug out the Zephyr plan:

Years ago I had drawn in rudder and elevator surfaces, but then decided that my current radio gear and then electric technology was too heavy for this diminutive 33" model. No problem with that now, so the first job was to check which parts were not shown on the plan. No problem with wing and tail ribs - only the centre tail rib is shown, but as the spar is straight it is easy to develop the others - and the wing ribs are constant chord apart from the last one which is easily sketched in. The fuselage formers are missing though, so I "lofted" these from the side and top views plus the perspective sketches. (Note how, typical of Frog plans, there are lots of "scrap" perspective sketches. It is one of the features that makes many Frog plans so attractive):

I am planning minimum structural mods on this build. Control surfaces, obviously, and the changes to the nose to accomodate an electric motor and battery stowage. My usual riblets in the wing LE, a bit of extra sheeting let in at the fuselage front, and a plug-in two leg wire undercarriage instead of a sewn-in single leg, and that's about it.

I also want to get the frame built as quickly as possible, as the installation and finishing always seems to take forever, so this weekend is a "buildathon" which, come Monday, will hopefully see a completed basic structure - well, that's the plan!

My original Frog 50 powered FF Zephyr over 50 years ago weighed in at just over 6 ounces, which is the design weight on the plan. With radio, I am hoping this one is going to be no more than 10 ounces, 8 would be better, but one has to be realistic.

I'll hopefully be back with an airframe in a couple of days!
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sundancer; Oct 04, 2011 at 03:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2011, 12:32 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Watching closely!
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Oct 02, 2011, 04:25 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2009
1,248 Posts
Very pretty little model Sundancer, looking forward to your build!
What's the span?

Jon
Yak 52 is offline Find More Posts by Yak 52
Old Oct 02, 2011, 04:48 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak 52 View Post
Very pretty little model Sundancer, looking forward to your build!
What's the span?

Jon
33" according to the post!
Old Oct 02, 2011, 06:26 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2009
1,248 Posts
Ah yes! Thanks!
Yak 52 is offline Find More Posts by Yak 52
Old Oct 02, 2011, 08:53 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
I need to finish the dawg so I can start the tomtitx2.8,the plan is still for a 50.4" span version but if I get the same math from the gal at staples I did last time who knows what size it might end up.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Oct 02, 2011, 08:56 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,780 Posts
Could be pretty awesome, Rabidrue! If she does the same as with the Dawg, this being a biplane, you'll need to corner the world balsa stocks! I'll leave the entry in Post 1 as "2.8x" until you let us know how the Staples visit went
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2011, 09:06 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
If she does it again the covering on it will be patch work city,after the dawg my covering budget is shot for the next 2 years!
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Oct 03, 2011, 03:49 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,780 Posts
Well, it has been a busy weekend, but I now have the bare bones of the Zephyr.

I decided to retain the motor mount beams as they provide a great deal of the structural integrity in the nose area and my selected motor is mounted into a carbon fibre tube and it will be easy to fit between the bearers to retain the original thrustline. I am not expecting this model to be nose heavy, so the extra timber up front is not an issue.

Everything is pretty much as per plan except for the leading edge and riblets and the elevator.

That's the easy bit done, now I have to work out the battery installation etc., to which end the front two sheeting panels in the fuselage nose are only slotted in, not yet glued, whilst I sort it all out.

Hopefully another week of work should see it ready for covering.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2011, 04:11 PM
Stockport, UK
Joined Sep 2001
458 Posts
Hells teeth that was a quick build. I thought you were giving us 7 months, not 7 days!

I'd better make some decisions quick to at least get started.....

Ian
Ian Dale is offline Find More Posts by Ian Dale
Old Oct 03, 2011, 09:29 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
"Well, it has been a busy weekend.."

You are not kidding, George. The skeleton is all but finished! And looking really great too
sparks
Old Oct 03, 2011, 11:22 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
619 Posts
Cripes George! It's alright for you retired types isn't it?
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Oct 04, 2011, 12:36 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkphantom View Post
Cripes George! It's alright for you retired types isn't it?
Agreed Gary, retirement is great (getting old sucks though!!) but it was a weekend, so no excuses for you working types!! I also managed a couple of flying sessions (weather is great at present), a shopping trip and a bit of hedge cutting, it's all a question of time management It'll slow down now though, the fiddly bits always take longer.

The bits as shown weigh 2.7/8 ounces (82 grams)

Ian: don't worry, you have got 7 months, it's just that I have a couple of other FROGS in mind as well, so need to get cracking.....
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sundancer; Oct 04, 2011 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Correction and additional text
Old Oct 04, 2011, 04:28 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Ok George, it was a weekend, and you did get some other jobs done. But some of us out here have to do all the 'little' things that accumulate through the week at the weekend

Me, I'm just jealous!

sparks
Old Oct 04, 2011, 04:44 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,780 Posts
Yeah, OK Sparks I remember those days! Until five years ago a typical weekday for me was; wake up about 5:30, spend an hour in the workshop (amazing what you can do in an hour when your brain is fresh), then off to the club for a swim (1000 metres normally) and some steam, into work by 8:30, eat breakfast at the desk, 1 p.m., an hours building on the small model I always had going at work whilst eating a sandwich, leave at 6 p.m. and battle the traffic for an hour, dinner, an hour or so for household tasks and a final hour in the workshop before collapsing into bed about 11. Weekends were for FLYING any time the weather co-operated (which was not often in N-W England) and DIY household tasks when it didn't. It was amazing how much headway you could make on two different models in about 15 hours a week of planned building.

I was one of the lucky generation who was never made redundant, unlike at present, so after 47 years of non-stop working I reckon I am due a bit of "free format" modelling time! Needless to say, the above schedule would probably kill me now!!

Looking forward to that Centurion, doesn't matter if it takes all the seven months as long as you enjoy it.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sundancer; Oct 04, 2011 at 04:45 AM. Reason: addition