HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2011, 03:06 AM
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Feb 2007
875 Posts
Discussion
My first F3P plane. Any reccomendations?

The indoor season is already starting and I would like to begin to learn some F3P. I would like some recommendations for a first plane and some gear. I have to build it up as inexpensively as I can I have flown a couple pattern and IMAC contests so I don't think I need an EPP frame. Unless that would be still a good idea. I have a bunch of 3s 360's for my Leadfeather Yak.

I have been looking at the Galaxy plane from HK (40 bucks plus motor).

Your help would be much appreciated.
tele1974 is offline Find More Posts by tele1974
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2011, 03:34 AM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,162 Posts
Hi,

I have used both Tech One Malibu 2 and RT Super Sirius. Malibu 2 better suited towards less experienced and RT Super Sirius is a competition model (rather fragile). Both planes flies good if built light.

http://www.techonehobby.com/pro.asp?rc=15&typelx=43

RT Super Sirius video:
RT Super Sirius (3 min 5 sec)

RC factory new F3P plane for 2011, the Clik EVO that is more rugged can probably be a good start model:

http://www.rc-factory.eu/inshop/scri...d=221&level=30

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
Last edited by bossee; Oct 01, 2011 at 04:04 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2011, 06:37 AM
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Feb 2007
875 Posts
Techone Venus? Looks interesting?
Old Oct 01, 2011, 03:30 PM
Foam alone.
Portsmouth England
Joined Feb 2005
586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1974 View Post
Venus is a 200 grm monster and better suited to outdoor 3D, rather than F3P - though I do fancy one myself, as it looks like a mini Parkmaster

For a budget F3P plane, I would definitely recommend the Galaxy. I got mine down to 140 grms rtf, by leaving off the plastic hard points, motor mount etc and using D47/SD100's and lightened Rhino 360 2S packs. Also chuck the supplied motor away, as it's

If you can find one, the Techone Malibu 2 is exactly the same plane but with the upper part of the fuselage milled - I'm guessing Hobbyking didn't want this done, so thay could slap their name on it

Gary
garyholland is offline Find More Posts by garyholland
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hacker Models Cz Vagabond
Old Oct 01, 2011, 04:36 PM
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Feb 2007
875 Posts
The Dymonds are out of my budget. Though I would love to have a set. How about the HXT 5 gram servos or would you recommend something else. How about esc and motor. I fully understand the importance of good gear. But I have to play this game differently now days.
Old Oct 01, 2011, 11:36 PM
United States, PA
Joined Aug 2011
321 Posts
Quote:
The indoor season is already starting and I would like to begin to learn some F3P. I would like some recommendations for a first plane and some gear. I have to build it up as inexpensively as I can I have flown a couple pattern and IMAC contests so I don't think I need an EPP frame. Unless that would be still a good idea. I have a bunch of 3s 360's for my Leadfeather Yak.

I have been looking at the Galaxy plane from HK (40 bucks plus motor).

Your help would be much appreciated.
I carry both the limited edition TechOne Star 3D (RTF/AUW 6.9oz with 3S 450mAh) and Trenches F3P Pro (RTF/AUW 5.4oz with 2S 250mAh), both are EPP planes and i am pretty sure that you could build them even lighter as keeping the weight down is very critical to have a great flying F3P plane. The TechOne Star 3D is a limited edition combo for $59.95 that comes with the high quality T2006 brushless motor, while the Trenches is a pro F3P class plane which flies precisely at much lighter weight. I like them both, they fly great!
epphobby is offline Find More Posts by epphobby
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 01, 2011, 11:50 PM
United States, PA
Joined Aug 2011
321 Posts
Quote:
I am taking pre-order for the TechOne Venus. I personally think that this plane is going to be a hit. Its a molded EPO foam plane with an airfoiled wing and i think its safe for me to say that it has a great flight characteristics.
But until then, i will post a flight review as soon as i get them in..so, stay tuned!
Site Sponsor
Last edited by epphobby; Oct 01, 2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2011, 11:54 PM
United States, PA
Joined Aug 2011
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyholland View Post
Venus is a 200 grm monster and better suited to outdoor 3D, rather than F3P - though I do fancy one myself, as it looks like a mini Parkmaster
Yup...i'd say a LITTLE monster and with AUW at 7-8 oz, at least it still fits for indoor, though it will not flies like its lighter counterparts
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 02, 2011, 02:15 AM
Foam alone.
Portsmouth England
Joined Feb 2005
586 Posts
Quote:
The Dymonds are out of my budget. Though I would love to have a set. How about the HXT 5 gram servos or would you recommend something else. How about esc and motor. I fully understand the importance of good gear. But I have to play this game differently now days.
If you are on a budget, HXT 5's are a fine choice. You can also loose a little weight off them, by popping off the bottom case, shortening leads etc.

The supplied Galaxy motor has a weird sized boss and the only prop that will fit is a heavy GWS DD. A friend of mine even took it apart and turned the boss down, so he could fit alternatives, but he's still not very happy with the power delivery. It's probably fine for general 3D, but if you want a cheap motor for F3P go for the Turnigy 2204-14T married to a Turnigy Plush 6A and GWS 8x43 SF. I usually take the heatshrink off the esc and direct solder the motor wires to the board, to save a few precious grms
garyholland is offline Find More Posts by garyholland
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by garyholland; Oct 02, 2011 at 02:57 AM.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 11:45 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epphobby View Post
Yup...i'd say a LITTLE monster and with AUW at 7-8 oz, at least it still fits for indoor, though it will not flies like its lighter counterparts
There's no way you could use this for F3P which is what the OP is looking for. The Fancy Foam Osiris would be a much better choice.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Oct 02, 2011, 02:05 PM
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Feb 2007
875 Posts
Is the Osiris a better choice than the RT super Sirius. I found the Super Sirius for Aerofly 5.5. Someone did a good job with that model for the sim. Its a lot of fun to fly. I haven't found a US source for the Sirius yet. Yeah the Venus is to heavy but it doesn't look like fun. My Parkmaster has been thoroughly abused for two seasons and still tracks better than any of my foamies and it looks like the Venus is made of the same material.

Gear so far:

Turnigy 2203-14T $14.00
HXT 5 gram servos 3@5.00
Turnigy Plush 6A $8.00 -- I have a HK 10A that I could use.

Airframe?
Old Oct 02, 2011, 02:17 PM
United States, PA
Joined Aug 2011
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
There's no way you could use this for F3P which is what the OP is looking for. The Fancy Foam Osiris would be a much better choice.

Azarr
I am sorry if it was confusing but i was just reinforcing what the other member said that TechOne Venus is a MONSTER at 200g and yes, obviously it will not fly like a F3P plane, though i believe it still suits for indoor.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 02, 2011, 02:36 PM
United States, PA
Joined Aug 2011
321 Posts
Quote:
Is the Osiris a better choice than the RT super Sirius. I found the Super Sirius for Aerofly 5.5. Someone did a good job with that model for the sim. Its a lot of fun to fly. I haven't found a US source for the Sirius yet. Yeah the Venus is to heavy but it doesn't look like fun. My Parkmaster has been thoroughly abused for two seasons and still tracks better than any of my foamies and it looks like the Venus is made of the same material.

Gear so far:

Turnigy 2203-14T $14.00
HXT 5 gram servos 3@5.00
Turnigy Plush 6A $8.00 -- I have a HK 10A that I could use.

Airframe?
Super sirius is an exclusive plane for Hacker made by TechOne, as far as i know, Hacker USA does not carry them which is a bit confusing. Judging by it's flight video, Sirius looks like a great F3P plane, its a fragile plane based on other member's reviews.
For your gear you have, i would recommend you the TechOne Trenches, its an EPP kit which is pretty tough and mine came up pretty light at 5.4 oz. I let a local flyer flew the plane this morning at a local funfly and he can't believe how it flies, so slow and precise like it flew on a rail. He's getting one soon

**I just found out that there is no connection between Hacker USA and Hacker Model Productions. Thanks to Azarr for the information
Site Sponsor
Last edited by epphobby; Oct 03, 2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 07:45 PM
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Feb 2007
875 Posts
Thanks. Looks like a great plane. I am going with a depron airframe.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 04:00 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,998 Posts
I have the techone malibu 2,flew it with a couple set ups.. i fly outdoors and it was nice with lighter set ups at 127-130g or about 4.5oz(could of got it to 120g or lighter with different electronics etc). A bit to light for the turbulent breezes in the yard if theres any wind. Currently flying it at 5.1oz with a suppo thats the same as the turnigy 2204-14t with very good power for outdoors(i have both outrunners). Have the techone venus on order,im sure it could be flown indoors but mine will start out with the suggested set up for outdoor flying and its a bit to heavy for the indoor only f3p guys. On the galaxy,was thinking of ordering one but the local shop had the malibu 2 in stock,the galaxy included outrunner can use sf gws props but needs an adapter,the malibu is probably slightly lighter though since it has considerable milling. I ordered similar outrunners(2403's) and they came with the adapters. The hk 2402 is the slightly lighter version and similar from specs to the included outrunner with the galaxy but not sure if the adapters are included with those as well. The pic on hk doesnt show them for either outrunner but there was one with each motor in the package when they got here. I like the t-motors and ordered a few from in8vative designs earlier in the year and they include the sf prop adapters as well. Seen the techone trenches when it first showed up on the site but very few carried it and the local shop couldnt get them at the time so i held off on that one. Havent flown one or seen much posted on them so im still undecided and theres a couple depron planes im waiting on to see if they make there way across the pond any time soon as well.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member