HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by flyandi, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 01, 2011, 01:20 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,866 Posts
Help!
HELP: Who has information on a Historic RC Club in San Marcos, CA

I talked with my neighbor today and he told me that there was a RC Club and a Runway about 15-20 years ago here on the San Elijo Hills in San Marcos, California.

Has anyone information about it? Location of the Runway, etc? I search through historic satellites images on Google Earth but couldn't make out anything.

Thanks,

Andy
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Last edited by flyandi; Oct 29, 2011 at 04:52 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 05:10 PM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
2,008 Posts
I know this is several weeks old Andu, however back in the early 60's ( 61 - 62 ) there was an old airfield that ran along San Marcos Blvd and Hwy 78. At that time there were no building or houses around and the area around the airfield was a big lot. My brother and I would watch free flight flies and R/C alike fly there on weekends. Very young then and that is when I saw my first R/C flight. On the north side of Hwy 78 was another airfield privately owned by some move producer I believe. No one flew there as you did not know when he was going to takeoff or land. On the side of the hill along h-78 there was an old engine test stand that supported some sort of big radial engine. I was to young at the time to know what is was. Just before we left San Marcos for 'Vegas the closed the airfield along San Marcos Blvd. The pictures I had have unfortunately been lost over time. Hope this sheds a little more light on the subject.
starcad is online now Find More Posts by starcad
Old Oct 29, 2011, 04:52 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,866 Posts
Thank you - that is very helpful. A few more puzzle pieces.

I have more or less located the old airfield on San Elijo Rd which actually is partial still there. A park is built over it and the other side is the new connector to Rancho Santa Fe.

Andy
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Oct 29, 2011, 05:06 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,866 Posts
I actually found your described airports:

There were 2 different airports:
San Marcos Valley Airport, San Marcos, CA - and
McCormick Airfield, San Marcos, CA

Just across from each other. Check this out:

http://members.tripod.com/airfields_...SanDiego_N.htm