HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2011, 08:58 PM
ParkScaleModels
United States, PA, Loganville
Joined Feb 2002
4,208 Posts
Discussion
New Park Scale Models kit - The Mini Drake

The Mini Drake is the newest kit offering from Park Scale Models. Modeled after Ken Willard 1950's era .049 powered Drake, the Mini Drake has been redesigned as a laser cut, electric RC kit.

Specifications:

Wingspan: 23.8" (60.5cm)
Length: 17.7" (45cm)
Wing Area: ~117 in² (754 cm²)
Flying Weight: ~4.1oz (116g)
Controls: Rudder, Elevator and Throttle
Power System: 10g brushless outrunner w/5x4.3 prop, 6A esc and a 2S 360mAh LiPo

Product page:
http://www.parkscalemodels.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=73

Park Scale Models - Mini Drake (2 min 26 sec)
zbrubaker is offline Find More Posts by zbrubaker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shop remodeling continues...
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2011, 02:20 PM
United States, CA, Big Bear Lake
Joined Aug 2011
46 Posts
Just ordered one! Looks great! Just wondering what size servo's you have for this?
Nieuport Guy is offline Find More Posts by Nieuport Guy
Old Oct 02, 2011, 06:52 PM
ParkScaleModels
Joined Feb 2002
4,208 Posts
A pair of 3.7g - 5g servos is what I would recommend.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2011, 01:21 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
I have its big brother and i had a smaller 25 nitro size and they are one of the best seaplanes i have ever owned . I dont really get into small seaplanes but i just might make a acception in this case . Hats off to Park scale models for thinking about us water flyers ! joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Oct 04, 2011, 04:32 AM
United States, CA, Big Bear Lake
Joined Aug 2011
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
I have its big brother and i had a smaller 25 nitro size and they are one of the best seaplanes i have ever owned . I dont really get into small seaplanes but i just might make a acception in this case . Hats off to Park scale models for thinking about us water flyers ! joe
That is one fine looking plane! I needed a water plane! I live in "Big Bear Lake"....what does that say?
Nieuport Guy is offline Find More Posts by Nieuport Guy
Old Oct 04, 2011, 05:44 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,125 Posts
Boeing Clipper ?

Sure looks close enough with the triple tail.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Oct 05, 2011, 05:31 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
Mine has a os 61 in itand it can go straight up ,it cant hover that well but neither can i . It was a kit 20 years ago by hanger desighn called a sea cruiser but they are no longer making kits . I bought a kit and have plans for another one cause i have had so much fun with this one for 16 years i had to have a back up.Mine called for a 40 to 60 and iam old but still like the speed. lol A couple friends of mine have taken a drake and took out a little diheadral and added ail and they fly great with a 15 to 20 size nitro motor or elecrtict . The drake plans are free at a couple sites. I know where they are at but iam tired now and will post some plans tomorow for you guys , Here post number 101 has a PDF for the drake and its a build thread . joe http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=467915&page=7 Cyclops this is a clipper.lol
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Last edited by cracksmeup; Oct 05, 2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2011, 11:47 AM
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
Joined Jan 2004
623 Posts
Ordered mine as well. Can't wait for it to arrive!!! I am guessing some WBPU to waterproof the balsa?
pylot2b is online now Find More Posts by pylot2b
Old Oct 07, 2011, 12:02 PM
ParkScaleModels
Joined Feb 2002
4,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pylot2b View Post
Ordered mine as well. Can't wait for it to arrive!!! I am guessing some WBPU to waterproof the balsa?
I'm not sure if water based Poly would cause any swelling/warping of the balsa while it's drying.

Thanks for the order!

On my prototype, I didn't seal the inside of the fuselage and water would cause the 1/32" sheeting on the bottom to swell and deform a little. Not really a big deal for the prototype, but I will be sealing the interior on the next one I build.

I'm thinking something thin (viscous) would be best to pour in, slosh around and pour out any excess in some of the inaccessible areas like under the battery hatch. Maybe something like Thompson's water seal or even Dope...but I don't know if that would have any effect on covering.

-Zeke
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2011, 11:51 AM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
883 Posts
Waterproofing Balsa / Ply: Depending on how much water flying you do with a balsa / ply seaplane waterproofing is a problem. Eventually water WILL get in. If the wood is not properly dried out it will start to mold and then rot. Then moldy, rotten balsa / ply will eventually fail. Also, covering will keep the moistened wood from drying out and covering can develop pin holes, cracks, open seams, etc. How do I know this? I had many, many flights on a Lanier Mariner. Out of the blue the wings folded 200' up and down she went. Total loss! Upon examination of the wing joint, the wood had rotted from moisture. No complaints, the Mariner lasted over 8 years with numerous rebuilds and the cutting out of rotten wood more than once. This is why fiberglass and or plastic seaplanes are preferred amongst serious seaplane pilots, no mold or wood rot to worry about, only mechanical or electrical problems. In the summer I fly seaplanes 3-4 times per week, hardly enough time to dry out a moisture laden balsa / ply seaplane. WBPU on the inside and outside of the model will work, but will raise the grain on the first coat. Thinned sanding sealer will also work w/o raising the grain.
Fast Freddy is offline Find More Posts by Fast Freddy
Last edited by Fast Freddy; Oct 08, 2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:30 PM
Close enough
United States, NM, Los Alamos
Joined Jun 2008
898 Posts
This is my first waterplane so I'm very interested in waterproofing too. I'm planning on using WBPU.

The kit is well cut and the wood is very nice. My wife gave me the evening off from my bathroom remodel and I was able to get the motor pod and wing built.

Marc
AtomicFlyer is online now Find More Posts by AtomicFlyer
Old Oct 16, 2011, 09:21 AM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
883 Posts
Marc,
Looks great! Looks like the wing is almost ready to be waterproofed with WBPU. First coat will raise the grain, let dry thoroughly, sand with 220 or above, apply second coat. If grain raises second time, lightly sand and you're done. Make sure you waterproof all inner pieces as well, not just surfaces that are covered by covering. (If I ever build a balsa / ply seaplane again, I'm thinking of applying WBPU to the pieces / laser cut sheets before they are even removed and assembled. Might be more accurate and less prone to miss something.)
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:47 AM
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
Joined Jan 2004
623 Posts
As far as the WBPU. Is everyone using the spray or the brush on? Finished my wings and motor pod. Hope to get the rest finished today.
pylot2b is online now Find More Posts by pylot2b
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:05 PM
Close enough
United States, NM, Los Alamos
Joined Jun 2008
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Freddy View Post
...First coat will raise the grain, let dry thoroughly, sand with 220 or above, apply second coat. If grain raises second time, lightly sand and you're done. Make sure you waterproof all inner pieces as well, not just surfaces that are covered by covering...
Thanks for the tips Freddy.

Marc
AtomicFlyer is online now Find More Posts by AtomicFlyer
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:34 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
883 Posts
Pilot2B,
I use brush on only because I feel I have more control and can get WBPU right where I want it.