HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by timmybeetle, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 04:06 PM
No Guts, No Glory
Nederland, LI, Helden
Joined Sep 2010
574 Posts
Discussion
Hobbyking Durafly Spitfire

Hi flying friends

some mod's on my Spitfire.

Origenal LG made from plastic didn't hold, so I had too modify it again.

look here...http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2468

and also http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2474

tested it and very happy with result, flying perfect and most importand takeoff and landing better than before,,,,

My second Durafly Spitfire

Recently I bought me an second hand Durafly Spitfire at Ebay.
It is an earlier version because it has another battery hatch.
I started to remove paint and moded cockpit , moved it a little forward and lowered inside a bit.
Also I modified my LIPO hatch and I placed servo holder for elevator and rudder more back.

I also have to do LG modification on this one.

Motor I use is an Aolian 4250-800KV and I will use and 11*10 4 blade prop.

update will follow.

30 Juli 2012

Today did my LG mod, this time I use 10mm wood rails 70mm long, to mount servoless retract units.
pictures show how I did it and also rake I use in my spitty's
aslo I use LG legs from FMS Spitfire 1400mm

2 aug 2012

all electronics installed and tested, painted Spitfire and waiting for decals
greets Hans
timmybeetle is offline Find More Posts by timmybeetle
Last edited by timmybeetle; Aug 25, 2012 at 03:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2011, 06:29 PM
Boggy
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Oct 2006
88 Posts
Hi Hans,

Looks good. WHat motor are you using for the 13x8 ? and do you use 4cell or 3cell ?

Cheers

Boggy
boggy is offline Find More Posts by boggy
Old Dec 09, 2011, 11:21 PM
Gary, IN, USA
Joined Jul 1999
991 Posts
Am very glad to see the video of Hans practicing landings and take-offs. I'm still builiding mine and have 3 questions;
* Yours is the 1st Spitfire that doesn't do the tight left yaw on take-off; Is it the 3-blade prop...or proper rudder application...or a gyro assisted rudder... or some other technique?
* Yes, the landing gear needs changing to get the wheels 'down' at the wing leading edge position; Did you pull out the whole LG and reinstall it with epoxy... some say to loosen the LG screws and add shims under the rear, but mine looks too tight to get that much movement.
* The tail wheel is supported by a very small piece of plastic that looks easy to break; Can this be stregthened, or should it be replaced with something else?

Since some American groups actually flew Spitfires, I am taking some liberaty and painted the upper surfaces dark green (with invasion stripes). Air Corps insignia will be used. And there is a pilot in the cockpit. Haven't decided about removing the canon blisters and replacing the peashooters with field modified 50 cals in the wings.
I have added a 3rd bearing to the rear motor shaft for better support. Also installed a gyro to the rudder to assist take-off straightness. Reshaped the carb intake and the underwing scoopes are painted to match the stripes.
Jim Petro is online now Find More Posts by Jim Petro