HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2011, 05:01 PM
Tye
Chacotoma, NM
Joined Jan 2004
749 Posts
Discussion
I desperately need help programming a Spektrum DX-7

I want to install a gyro on the rudder of a big groundloopy warbird. I am using a Spektrum DX-7, and a AR-7000 combination. I know of course, that the gyro goes between the rudder channel, and the rudder servo, but in what channel do I plug in the gain control lead, that varies the gain, or even turns the gyro off ? Can I use the programmable Aux2 channel ? And if so, what switch do I select, one of the sliders, or the 3 position switch ? Most important is, what are the actual programming steps necessary to turn it on and off, and also vary the adjustable gain of the gyro ?

I am completely lost, please help. Thanking you greatly in advance.

zak
starzak is offline Find More Posts by starzak
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2011, 02:31 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,420 Posts
I have the same setup as you and using a gyro for the same reason. You can plug the gyro gain lead into any unused channel that is controlled by a switch. (gear, flaps, Aux2) I have mine plugged into Aux2 but the setup is the same for whatever channel you choose to use. This link has some great videos and the guy explains how to go about setting up a gyro on a DX-7. Although he is using a Detrum GY48V gyro, the setup is primarly the same for all gyros I do believe. Also if you click on "main gyro page" there is a lot more helpful info on setting up your gyro.

http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/ruddergyroinstall1.html

One note, be sure to turn your gyro Off immediately after takeoff, otherwise your first turn is gonna get quite hairy ,as the gyro is going to try try to keep the aircraft headed in the takeoff direction. I managed to forget to on my first takeoff with the gyro and it made for a very scary departure from the planned flight path.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Oct 01, 2011, 01:44 PM
Tye
Chacotoma, NM
Joined Jan 2004
749 Posts
Thanks Herman. The plane is a Ziroli Stuka, and while take offs are fine, and no problem, it goes groundloopy after touchdown, and while rolling out. It usually results in dragging a wing, or broken prop. The gyro is a JR G 370A, a rate gyro for aircraft only. I don't have to put the DX-7 in HELI mode do I ? Using the AUX 2 switch and just adjusting the end points would be ideal. When approaching for a landing, when is the best time to turn it back on ? And will this cure my ground looping during roll out ? ? ?

zak
starzak is offline Find More Posts by starzak
Last edited by starzak; Oct 01, 2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 12:59 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starzak View Post
Thanks Herman. The plane is a Ziroli Stuka, and while take offs are fine, and no problem, it goes groundloopy after touchdown, and while rolling out. It usually results in dragging a wing, or broken prop. The gyro is a JR G 370A, a rate gyro for aircraft only. I don't have to put the DX-7 in HELI mode do I ? Using the AUX 2 switch and just adjusting the end points would be ideal. When approaching for a landing, when is the best time to turn it back on ? And will this cure my ground looping during roll out ? ? ?

zak
You don't have to put your Tx into heli mode, that doesn't matter with a gyro. I've never used mine for landing although I had discussed using it for such with a friend of mine who's plane tends to wander all over the place after touchdown, the gyro would work great for keeping it straight. I think the best time to turn it on would be just prior to touchdown or right after your wheels touch down. It should cure your ground looping during rollout as the gyro will keep the aircraft headed in the direction it was going, at touch down, when you turned the gyro back on.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster