HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:40 PM
United States, CA, Frazier Park
Joined Mar 2008
148 Posts
Mini-HowTo
How to get your wife to let you get a new charger. :)

So this is what got my wife to tell me to hurry up and get a better charger.

I was charging a battery on the kitchen table with an Esky charger. Charger fans are pretty loud and it takes about 2 hours to charge a 3S 11.1V 2100mAh Parkzone battery.
Wife and I sat down to watch a movie and the thing was still running. Wife started complaining so I simply said "If I had a better charger it wouldn't be so loud or take as long." She said "well hurry up and buy the thing, you'v been looking online and researching them for 2 weeks now."

She even knows I'v been eye-balling the PL8 V2 with Mean Well PS for about $650. or so with added cables and boards and such.

I'v been trying to justify the cost to myself as I currently only usebetteries in the 3S 11.1V 2100mAh range. I do have 1 4S that I haven't used yet.
supermo26 is offline Find More Posts by supermo26
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2011, 03:38 PM
Joined Sep 2011
72 Posts
Classic.
stockman20 is offline Find More Posts by stockman20
Old Sep 30, 2011, 03:42 PM
Joined Aug 2011
718 Posts
LOL he probably set it at like 1 amp charge rate just so it would take longer
UlteriorModem is offline Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Old Sep 30, 2011, 05:00 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,772 Posts
Don't do it. My last plane, a very scale and used 1/4 scale Dr.1 cost me $300. The next week a contractor was at my hosue doing a bathroom remodel that cost me $5,000.
The next time I want a new plane I will save up and then hide it like all of the others I have recently purchased.
I'm telling you...don't do it.

Oh, just a thought. How will you explain the server power supply sounding like a 747 taking off?

Nice charger on your list. I just got mine last Monday.
Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:57 PM
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
7,644 Posts
LET ? really ?
Dennis Everett is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:11 PM
El Cajon, CA, USA
Joined Feb 2001
801 Posts
I'm always happy when I get home before the wife and see a package by the door. Take it inside and hide it so nobody knows.......until the old lady next door goes "that UPS truck sure does stop a lot at your place."

They I get the look.
Munch is offline Find More Posts by Munch
Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:04 PM
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Jun 2006
1,200 Posts
It's always easier to get forgiveness than it is permission....
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old Oct 03, 2011, 02:09 PM
JustFlying
Joined Dec 2005
2,428 Posts
Ha-ha, you had that bathroom thing coming, if you bought the plane or not.

I work for my money and pay the bills. I generally don't spend a lot on the hobby, but I buy what I want when I want if I think I can afford it. If I buy something like the PL8, I showed her the new charger and that is it. The other day she was hiding something from me, it turned out to be a new glider, and that is the only time I hide something from her, when it is for her.
rebell is offline Find More Posts by rebell
Old Oct 03, 2011, 02:29 PM
Renton, WA
Joined Nov 2006
318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermo26 View Post
.... buy the thing, you'v been looking ..... knows I'v been eye-balling the PL8 V2 with Mean .....I'v been trying to justify ....
why does the "e" drop off ?
vashon10 is offline Find More Posts by vashon10
Old Oct 03, 2011, 02:58 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vashon10 View Post
why does the "e" drop off ?
Might have a broken keyboard. I had a laptop that had some bad buttons before
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Oct 03, 2011, 05:31 PM
**** 37130 ****
Joined Aug 2007
1,781 Posts
I got "permission" for a new charger when my i-charger 1010B++ went up like a firework, filling the house with acrid smoke and scaring my wife half to death.
RobC(UK) is offline Find More Posts by RobC(UK)
Old Oct 03, 2011, 09:59 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
I'v been eye-balling the PL8 V2 with Mean Well PS for about $650. or so with added cables and boards and such.

I'v been trying to justify the cost to myself as I currently only usebetteries in the 3S 11.1V 2100mAh range. I do have 1 4S that I haven't used yet.
Sounds to me like you could end up in hot water spending that much and then still having a lot of noise, although for a lot less time.

In your shoes I would consider the PL8 together with a more modest (and quieter) PS that will still probably exceed your needs for a long time to come. There are a variety of options that could save you hundreds of dollars but still support charging in the 300W to 500W range. Compared to charging at under 50W, 300W will be a revolution
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Oct 04, 2011, 07:33 AM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,161 Posts
Hi,
All the chargers I have used make noice with the fan(s) when the charger need to work (high current demand etc). All chargers that has a fan will sooner or later start the fan to get the heat out of the case.
But with a new charger you can charge more quickly which makes the pain with noice shorter so that is great.

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
Old Oct 04, 2011, 11:21 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Yes, but some chargers and some PS are a LOT louder than others.
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Oct 04, 2011, 02:45 PM
United States, CA, Frazier Park
Joined Mar 2008
148 Posts
the lack of an "e" was due to my lazyness and lack of spelling. I could blame the LA Unified School district but, it was more my fault then theirs.
supermo26 is offline Find More Posts by supermo26