Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Build Log
Making A Long Skinny Thingy.

CONSTRUCTION NOTES:
Here a video that should be watched before you build with this DLG fuselage:
Tour of the Wyoming Wind Works DLG 1.5 Fuse (8 min 39 sec)

A note on wing bolt/fasteners
The tappable wing bolt blocks are made from aluminum. Aluminum fasteners in an aluminum thread can bind. You can either not use an aluminum fastener or regularly use an anti-seizing compound on the threads to prevent binding.

Canopy Location
Why put the canopy on the bottom? - CLICK HERE

Videos
Layup Video
Demolding Video

Original Start of the Build Thread
Here is my attempt at making a long skinny thingy to strap a DLG wing onto.

So far I've got a canopy plug that is ready to mold. I'm going to be making the canopy via the PFP (plastic face plaster) technique. No CNC work involved. Just some good old hand shaping via CAD generated templates.

Kind of fun.
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks
Last edited by wyowindworks; Mar 04, 2012 at 09:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2011, 08:19 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
2,993 Posts
man, your work is beautiful!
ThomasLee is offline Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Sep 29, 2011, 08:25 PM
Hey was that a Thermal ????
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
It's about time you joined the party Bud. I have been Bugging my good friend to come over to the dark side for a long time !!! I am so looking forward to putting one of these under one of my wings.

Paul
The_Builder is offline Find More Posts by The_Builder
Old Sep 29, 2011, 08:41 PM
Joined Jul 2011
67 Posts
silky smooooth
buzzle049 is offline Find More Posts by buzzle049
Old Sep 29, 2011, 09:57 PM
sewing machine thumb
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Jul 2001
2,305 Posts
Is there anyone else on the planet who starts a new DLG project with the canopy?

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with, Adam. Maybe it will be time to start the "Wyoming DLG Happenings" thread soon.
Frank S is offline Find More Posts by Frank S
Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:29 AM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Canopy Mold Step 1

Thanks for the compliments guys. I like things to be nice and shiny.

Frank, though it may seem a little backwards there is a method to my madness.

Progress
I seated the canopy plug in the foam tray using a bead of clay around the perimeter. I pushed the canopy into the tray so the clay squeezed out around the perimeter. Then I trimmed the clay flush with the sides of the canopy. The tray is made from 25 psi XPS foam and covered with packing tape to seal it. The boards in the photo below were also covered with packing take to seal them.

See the captions below for the rest. BTW, you need to use a special hydrophobic epoxy resin to do a PFP mold.

Adam
Old Sep 30, 2011, 01:00 AM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Canopy Mold Step 2

I waited until the first coat of surface coat gelled. It was tacky when touched but no surface was transferred to the finger tip. I then brushed on a second coat of surface coat and flocked it. I'll let this set up for 15 minutes before pouring the plaster (even though the instruction for the surface coat say to pour the plaster immediately). See photo captions for more info.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 01:39 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,687 Posts
Boy Adam it's been a while since I heard the term's PFP, tacky to the touch dry to the sweep etc. I remember doing the elephant ear fairing's for the rear door for the CH-53 Super Stallion back in the late 70's early 80's, that was a rather large PFP. I have to laugh at Doug M when he bring's up the mat'l Hydrocal, I think he has stock in the company. I wonder how much a 100lb bag of Superfine goes for today.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2011, 01:46 AM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Canopy Mold Step 3

After letting the second application of surface coat set for 15 minutes, I did another application of the cotton flock and blew off the excess. I then mixed up the plaster. I used DAP Plaster of Paris because I can't get any of the USG products in town (Ultracal, Hdrocal). Getting a $30 bag ends up costing me $100 with shipping. One of the bummers about living in a small town...

See photo captions for more info.

BTW, I've never done a PFP mold so this is my first go at it. Right or wrong it's whats going on.
Last edited by wyowindworks; Sep 30, 2011 at 01:52 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:38 AM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,547 Posts
Very nice Adam. The carbon fiber reinforcements are a great addition to the mold. Small single sided molds is the only application I ever got PFP to work for me. Looking forward to the rest of the build!

Molded wing or bagged?
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:06 AM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
Very nice Adam. The carbon fiber reinforcements are a great addition to the mold. Small single sided molds is the only application I ever got PFP to work for me. Looking forward to the rest of the build!

Molded wing or bagged?
Bagged wing for now. The saddle is designed to receive a 7.5" Edge at the root.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:13 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Jigging the Boom

This step was done a while ago, but I thought I'd post some pics.

Since everything is being shaped from CAD generated templates, it was easy to extrapolate printed patterns for the alignment jig for the boom. This boom get "ovalized" later.

Photo captions contain more info.
Last edited by wyowindworks; Sep 30, 2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 01:13 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
MDF and such

BTW, the pod portion of the fuse was cut and shaped from MDF. MDF shapes easily and stays nice and stable. Most woods will cause the grain to print-thru to the surface if the temperature changes. That pristine paint finish can turn into poo in hurry if the wood changes. Once the MDF gets shaped I saturate it with epoxy resin. This then makes it handle like a hard plastic.

More info in the captions.
Last edited by wyowindworks; Sep 30, 2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 01:22 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Baking the Canopy Mold

I just started baking the moisture out of the plaster backed canopy mold. I'm baking it in the composites curing oven at 150*F. Interestingly, the plaster is slow to elevate in temperature. The moisture that is evaporating out of it keeps cooling it down. When I put my lips near the surface I can feel the moisture escaping. I'll bake it until it's dry. The surface coat is good to over 200*F. The plug was pre-baked to 150*F before the molding began in insure that it was stable.

Adam
Old Sep 30, 2011, 01:28 PM
Russ Young
United States, UT, South Jordan
Joined Mar 2006
1,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowindworks View Post
When I put my lips near the surface I can feel the moisture escaping.

Adam
Are you also giving it a little kiss for good luck?
isoarthenland is online now Find More Posts by isoarthenland