HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2011, 06:09 PM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,930 Posts
Discussion
2-3 gram servo for use with AR6400?

I'd like to put some ailerons on a plane, and was wondering if any of the Hobbyking servos are suitable. The AS2000L with bellcrank is a little over two grams, and given how an awful lot of models seem to be using two, a single ~3 gram servo would still be pretty reasonable replacement for both of them. I'm not averse to swapping some leads, though the ability to plug right in would be nice.

Also, slightly OT stupid question: Which ~1G BL ESC do I want from Hobbyking? I'm just looking for something fairly simple for single-cell use, though the possibility of going 2S might be interesting...
Cheesehead is online now Find More Posts by Cheesehead
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2011, 07:59 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
950 Posts
B.A 2.5 (Blue Arrow) servos are good. I use them with connectors from AS2000 servo reverser leads. Click on the Plantraco ad above and search for servos/actuators. You can probably get them cheaper some where else.
MUTCAKE is offline Find More Posts by MUTCAKE
Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:01 AM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTCAKE View Post
B.A 2.5 (Blue Arrow) servos are good. I use them with connectors from AS2000 servo reverser leads. Click on the Plantraco ad above and search for servos/actuators. You can probably get them cheaper some where else.
Hobbyking sells a S0251, which they claim is identical to the BA 2.5 gram. It certainly looks like it.

It is, however, less than 1/3 the price. $5.50!
Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:45 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,047 Posts
What about the linear servos from Spektrum. These ones work very well. this one is also on 2 cells with a diode to drop the voltage to the rcvr system. Hovers at half throttle and pulls out vertical with no ptoblems. The jump to two cells makes a very big difference power wise. Catsass weighs 3.6 oz. Just something to shoot for.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Sep 30, 2011, 11:25 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
What about the linear servos from Spektrum. These ones work very well. this one is also on 2 cells with a diode to drop the voltage to the rcvr system. Hovers at half throttle and pulls out vertical with no ptoblems. The jump to two cells makes a very big difference power wise. Catsass weighs 3.6 oz. Just something to shoot for.

Gord.
The op is looking for a standard servo. You will not find a standard servo with the proper plug unless it is a special servo like one from Falcon, Scarlach, or Microflierradio.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Sep 30, 2011, 05:03 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
The HK 1.7g or 2g (2.2g) servos are what you need. Get a Plug from Glenn2626.

Skip the HK linears. The blue arrow 2.5g are really over 3g.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Oct 01, 2011, 12:08 AM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
The HK 1.7g or 2g (2.2g) servos are what you need. Get a Plug from Glenn2626.

Skip the HK linears. The blue arrow 2.5g are really over 3g.
The 1.7G servos look very nice, but I'm not sure they have the torque to swing two ailerons. I've heard the 2.2 are a bit dodgy - is there a particular subset that work a bit better?

Also, does anyone know how much torque can be expected from the BA "2.5g" servos on one cell?

The idea here is to use one ~3g servos to replace two ~1.5g servos on the basis that:

1. They weigh the same
2. The end result is less complicated
3. One $6 servo is a lot more reasonable than two $20 servos.
Old Oct 01, 2011, 03:16 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
950 Posts
That's exactly why I use the BA 2.5's. They fit the bill at least for me. The weight is not that bad, and yes they are slightly over 3gms. You could remove the case bottom i guess if you really wanted it lighter or use smaller wires. I do not know what the torque is on these however. I've used them on 5oz planes with 10gm outrunner motors with no problems.
MUTCAKE is offline Find More Posts by MUTCAKE
Old Oct 01, 2011, 10:09 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
I use the 2.2g's on my Ag Champ and they work fine for ailerons.

They are fairly high quality servos.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN