Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 01, 2011, 07:22 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,245 Posts
Trever, After our talk I went back and watched the HK video again. He only says the Hawk is retract ready. I have also put the MB339 back on the bench and pulled the retracts from it and going to hand luanch\bungee it now. Wouldn't a 1800 Kv motor give you comparable results on 8/9S, then you could get retracts in it with out adding weight.
davecrash is online now Find More Posts by davecrash
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2011, 07:23 PM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,566 Posts
I love everything about jets............But when you get older you are happy to have one in the air and to be able to see it, so speed for me is not everything. But hey if you can do it go for it.
clive45 is offline Find More Posts by clive45
Old Oct 01, 2011, 08:30 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,035 Posts
The stabs are ready to be glued on, but not till I finish with the control linkages and the rudder/Servo. Will start working on the wing conections tomorrow. Im very pleased with todays progress. I think the Elevators were for sure the most work and time consuming part of the build.

I thought I had a good picture of the inside vert stab. Ill get a better one for you tomorrow Clive
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Im selling my 220mph jet
Old Oct 01, 2011, 09:00 PM
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,566 Posts
Look forward to the pic, I like something to keep the old brain working.
Also would it be possible to make the stabs removable? Maybe your center fibre spar could have a metal rod in side and a screw tapped in to it, might have to mod the stab slightly for a mount to take the screw, but this would allow you to get at the servos.
Again food for thought.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 01:02 AM
Soggy Scotland
Central Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
837 Posts
Good progress and thanks for photo-documenting!! I'm with J on the ele servo mod - with 13mm min depth, that gives a lot of servo choice. I would cut out a pocket, glue in some 1/64th ply to the remaining skin, mount the servo to that, securely, then probably make another 1/64" hatch taped on. Everyone has their own ideas!!

I thought you were doing a mickey take with the fan unit pic - I thought you had a 120mm unit on there!!
pilotrcuk is offline Find More Posts by pilotrcuk
Old Oct 02, 2011, 12:08 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,035 Posts
Good News for you guys that want to install gear. I found the perferations that some had mentioned before. Should make cutting out the slots a bit easier.

Heres the pix of the rudder base you guys were asking for

The wing spar is a VERY tight fit. I had to sand both the inside of the fues tube and the outside of the spar to get it in both the wings and the fues.

Better tight than sloppy..in more ways than one
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2011, 01:55 PM
Soggy Scotland
Central Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
837 Posts
I knew it
pilotrcuk is offline Find More Posts by pilotrcuk
Old Oct 02, 2011, 02:24 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,035 Posts
Whell I got the wing roots all prepped up. The right wing root was not the best of fit, and requird block sanding the fues and the wing. This took a while, but is a must! to ensure a good bond. Luckely, the Left wing was near perfect and was compleated in no time at all.

Next up...Control horns/servos
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2011, 03:26 PM
Joined Sep 2011
10 Posts
one thing i have noticed is that there is no tube from the fan motor to the end of the fuse..is that in the pack or has this got to be purchased seperatley?
DPTFalcon4 is offline Find More Posts by DPTFalcon4
Old Oct 02, 2011, 03:34 PM
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,566 Posts
No wonder it did not look straight with all the bottles on the table.
Ther certainly looks like room for a central servo but without being able to have it in front of me it would be a lot of guess work.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 03:55 PM
United Kingdom, England, Cobham
Joined Oct 2007
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clive45 View Post
My idea without seeing the exact space would be to make a small box to take the servo which could be glued up into the base of the vertical stab and have a rod operating both stabs and an arm soldered to it for connection to the servo. I also don,t know if another servo could be shoehorned in from where the rudder servo fits if it has an access hole in the vert stab.
Food for thought. I am looking at getting one of these if HK don,t have the BAE Hawk available within reasonable time. They are a pain when it comes to making you drool and when you can spend your money.
Are you referring to a torque rod joining the elevators? If so, doubt that will work with the sweep angle. If not, how exactly will you actuate both stabs with a single servo?

Jacques
Jacques.Eloff is offline Find More Posts by Jacques.Eloff
Old Oct 02, 2011, 04:05 PM
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,566 Posts
Hi J.E like I said in my previous post its hard to see without it being in front of you. Torque rod may be possible.....but I'm in favour of 2 servos so I would look at the possibility of having removable stabs. A central rod with a metal center would allow you to screw into it and hold the stab on, again you need it in front of you to experiment and see exact size etc.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 05:07 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
Good News for you guys that want to install gear. I found the perferations that some had mentioned before. Should make cutting out the slots a bit easier.

Heres the pix of the rudder base you guys were asking for

The wing spar is a VERY tight fit. I had to sand both the inside of the fues tube and the outside of the spar to get it in both the wings and the fues.

Better tight than sloppy..in more ways than one
I knew someone like that....Like waving a pencil on the Albert Hall !

Speaking of tight, I'm off to fly my little SAPAC VJ while I contemplate the delivery of her big sister. j
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Oct 02, 2011, 05:31 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPTFalcon4 View Post
one thing i have noticed is that there is no tube from the fan motor to the end of the fuse..is that in the pack or has this got to be purchased seperatley?
You have to make a thrust tube. They do include the fiber material for you. Do you have the model in your pocession? It looks like a piece of white paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clive45 View Post
No wonder it did not look straight with all the bottles on the table.
LOL And that was just from breakfast.

Glad you guys are enjoying the build. Thanks!

I managed to get the elevator control rods connected. I countersunk them. Got to keep her clean

I included a couple of shots of my OK models L-39 that bit the dust last week. Dont know what happened(dont care) but it just shut down compleatly and went in at top speed. If you scale up the carnage, it would be over a 1/4 mile
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by vettster; Oct 02, 2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 06:27 PM
Joined Sep 2011
10 Posts
no vestter , still being packed in the backend warehouse, damm big one if its still there..will be about 2 weeks b4 i get it, i wondered what those white plastic bits were in the bag..lol..
yep keeping a close eye on the build..looks good so far.. do you think being that close to the edge that the servo will move the whole of that elevator?

nice one on the tube..yea had to make a paper one for my bae hawk...(still to madien ..but soon)
DPTFalcon4 is offline Find More Posts by DPTFalcon4
Last edited by DPTFalcon4; Oct 02, 2011 at 06:43 PM.