HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2012, 06:59 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fg1972 View Post
Is anyone pining their hinges or just relying on CA to hold them in?
FG..Ive been using fiber hinges without pins on one of my turbines for the past 3 years without issue. It has about 150 flights now and weighs 20lbs. I check them before each flight session.

The trick to it is NOT to be to dainty with the CA. Bend the aileron down to its max travel and then DUMP the CA on top. You want to compleatly saturate the hing and allow it to soak into the balsa. Then try to keep moving the aileron so it doesnt set in one place, all the while flipping the wing over and doing the bottom before the top has a chance to compleatly dry. Then just keep moving the aileron.

I have seen other peoples crashed planes(not because the hing let go) when the aileron gets ripped out on impact.. you can see how they just used the tinniest bit of CA and the only glue holding it in place is about 1 or 2 mm deep because they were to cautious with the CA. Another trick it to drill a 1/8 hole in the center of each hing slot to allow the CA to wick in even further.

Ohh and Dont use accelerator.

Hope this helps somebody

Trevor
vettster is online now Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by vettster; Jan 17, 2012 at 07:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2012, 07:23 PM
TakeOff=optional,Landing= Must
Australia, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2010
427 Posts
Thanks Trevor,
I had pretty much done what you described and kept moving the surface while the CA was curing.
fg1972 is offline Find More Posts by fg1972
Old Jan 17, 2012, 07:26 PM
Gotz tha Jet Feeva!!
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2011
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
I found them on http://www.modelmaniacs.co.uk/

it's far more convinient for me..if modelmaniacs proved to be agood seller that is..
Saw that site too. They didn't do Paypal from what I saw, so I went with the German shop.
Purple Pashin is offline Find More Posts by Purple Pashin
Old Jan 17, 2012, 08:39 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Pashin View Post
Saw that site too. They didn't do Paypal from what I saw, so I went with the German shop.
already paid.. it's barclays system. they are pretty good too..
got confirmation of my order the same momment also..
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:07 PM
Mile High EDF
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2011
938 Posts
Back in stock
420flyboy is online now Find More Posts by 420flyboy
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:07 PM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,596 Posts
Seems like they have just got another lot in..................
clive45 is online now Find More Posts by clive45
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:14 PM
Mile High EDF
Joined Jul 2011
938 Posts
It also went up by $10 lol
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:22 PM
Gotz tha Jet Feeva!!
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2011
141 Posts
Well, got a restock email, and dropped the hammer...good thing I had it in my cart for a few days, and got it for 178.00.

It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission, isn't that what they say??

Pray for me...
Purple Pashin is offline Find More Posts by Purple Pashin
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:24 PM
Mile High EDF
Joined Jul 2011
938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Pashin View Post
Well, got a restock email, and dropped the hammer...good thing I had it in my cart for a few days, and got it for 178.00.

It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission, isn't that what they say??

Pray for me...
Nice
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:29 PM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,596 Posts
I wonder if you will get an email when you order it saying the price has gone up
clive45 is online now Find More Posts by clive45
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:33 PM
Mile High EDF
Joined Jul 2011
938 Posts
Lol, good one
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:35 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,248 Posts
And there's still some in stock.
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:06 PM
New Brunswick
Joined Feb 2006
1,239 Posts
I'm in! I got one! Usually by the time I get out of bed, they are sold out, but now with that big snow storm outside, I'm up late! For once I don't mind snow storm!
choopi is online now Find More Posts by choopi
Last edited by choopi; Jan 17, 2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 01:01 AM
Fly it like you stole it !
Australia, QLD, Coolum Beach
Joined Oct 2011
372 Posts
I was reminded over the weekend of the need to get the AoA correct. I saw a beautiful FA18 on maiden which had an obvious negative AoA, and would not rotate. More up and it came unstuck and went vertical at warp speed...it did not survive.
B
bobbit4447 is offline Find More Posts by bobbit4447
Last edited by bobbit4447; Jan 18, 2012 at 03:35 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 05:11 AM
TakeOff=optional,Landing= Must
Australia, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2010
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fg1972 View Post
Ok, third attempt at retracts because I'm a fussy ba$tard and not happy with the previous work.
These HK servoless units that I was planning to use with the 3mm shaft just are not going to cut it for this plane in my opinion.
Instead I'm going to fit these with a 5mm shaft will definately handle those hot landings better, and are a bit larger & deeper unfortunately but I am determined to fit them and do some aero work to smooth out the bump where they stick out. I considered moving the retracts forward where there is more depth in the wing as Bobbit did but since I'm not using trailing link struts, I am pretty sure the plane won't balance on its wheels properly with the wheels infront of the cog point.

My cheapo struts here arrived from HK, I can confirm that they are not trailing link, just a scissor for looks only which can easily be removed if required. Also the shaft size is 3mm not 4mm as advertised. The quality is very nice, stronger, and less slop than the pd 25 struts in my opinion. The struts come apart very easily for modifying. I am planning to use slightly larger 1.75 wheels as in the photo for the rears. Have also drilled out the 3mm hole to accept a 4mm shaft, was tempted to drill a 5mm hole but I'm sure that would weaken the strut.
I have made a shaft connecting the strut to the retract, it is 5mm at the retract end and 4mm at the strut end. It is made from a 5mm 450 helicopter hardened main shaft which has been reduced to 4mm at one end.
A little bit of progress,
you can see how the retract mechanism does not recess fully into the wing but with some balsa aero work, it's a lot smoother. I'm not using the top plastic plate to secure the retracts because this will stick out even further, instead am going to fasten the retract using another method and will take a photo to explain.
Now need to start on the other wing.
BTW, Best of luck to those that say this is an easy build that can be done in a night or so, it has taken me several nights of just looking without doing any work, maybe I'm just slow.
fg1972 is offline Find More Posts by fg1972
Last edited by fg1972; Jan 18, 2012 at 05:17 AM. Reason: more photos