HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2011, 03:57 PM
Joined May 2005
750 Posts
Build Log
Alien/Herr Aircraft Pt-17 Build

While the paint dries on my Alien Aircraft Taylorcraft, I decided to start on my Pt-17. I was home all day yesterday since my yard was being re done so I made a pretty good dent in my build. The kit is very basic, brown box plastic bags to hold the parts and plans. No fancy artwork box, flyer or instruction manual....The manual is downloaded from the website and printed out... The wood is excellent quality and the laser cutting is perfect. The kit also comes with most of the hardware and pre-bent landing gear and cabane struts. Alien Aircraft also sells a complete package with motor, ESC, connections and push-rods. Since I started RC builds in the late 80's I have always built with wood/white glues and epoxy where needed. I never really liked CA since I did not know use it and made more of mess than anything. With laser cut kits and the jigsaw style construction, it makes CA a better choice. This is my second build using CA and it worked great. I used very little CA to tack everything together and then added wood glue fillets to reinforce the joints. This went real quick and I did not have to mess with jigs, Clamps, Tape and rubber bands. The design is awesome and all the parts fit together perfect so far with no issues. I hope to have the fuselage finished in the next few days depending on my work schedule.
scigs30 is offline Find More Posts by scigs30
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:40 PM
United States, TN, Greenbrier
Joined Nov 2008
24 Posts
let me know how it goes, I've been looking at this kit as a next project.
Also, what do you think about the Taylorcraft, how does it fly?
Got one in the box.
Building a Blinker right now!
gypsy56 is offline Find More Posts by gypsy56
Old Oct 01, 2011, 07:51 AM
Joined May 2005
750 Posts
Just finished the Taylorcraft this morning and will get her up in the air this next week.
Old Oct 01, 2011, 12:24 PM
Anchorage, Alaska
Joined Nov 2008
603 Posts
Looks like a fun build scis30. I've got their Raven all framed up and in the process of covering it. I have the Dragon Sea Plane and the Cessna 310 still in the bags. Definately winter projects. I too prefere to build with white glue and epoxy because the fumes from CA get to me.

For those contemplating building an Alien kit there's one important thing scis330 and I recomend. The lazer cut parts can easily fall out of the sheets, and it can be hard to identify them later as you need them. So, when you unwrap the kit, be careful you keep the sheets stacked, then identify the top parts sheet from the instructions and mark it and all the parts, then carefully move it off the top and do the next sheet, and so on.
Taildragger55 is offline Find More Posts by Taildragger55
Last edited by Taildragger55; Oct 01, 2011 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Added text.
Old Oct 01, 2011, 03:38 PM
United States, TN, Greenbrier
Joined Nov 2008
24 Posts
These Alien kits are such a joy to build. People who don't like to build should try one. I think it would open up a new hobby within a hobby to ARFers.
gypsy56 is offline Find More Posts by gypsy56
Old Oct 02, 2011, 12:59 PM
Anchorage, Alaska
Joined Nov 2008
603 Posts
Yes, they are a joy to build. They use contest grade balsa and the individual parts are fragile and break easilly, but build into a strong, light structure. I broke and had to repair several parts during the build.

Got the Ravens fuse covered yesterday, all thats left is the wing. I wonder if it would be worthwhile to start an "Alien Aircraft Kit Appreciation" thread under the "Electric Parkflyers" header? Do any of you think it would be worthwhile? Would it get enough interest?
Taildragger55 is offline Find More Posts by Taildragger55
Old Oct 03, 2011, 04:14 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
838 Posts
Definitely worthwhile to start an Alien Aircraft thread. Just do it.
Fast Freddy is online now Find More Posts by Fast Freddy
Old Oct 04, 2011, 11:07 PM
Joined Nov 2009
14 Posts
scigs30...Your building skills are spectacular. You certainly spend a little more attention to details than I do.

Tom
AlienAircraft is offline Find More Posts by AlienAircraft
Old Oct 05, 2011, 07:57 AM
Joined May 2005
750 Posts
Tom, You design them and I will build them for you Your designs are great and a pleasure to build. I only designed 2 RC birds and it is a lot of work so now I will just build kits. I have been busy at work, but the little down time I get I have been finishing the fuselage will post more pictures. Tom here are 2 of my designs.....actually based off of Electrifly..
Old Oct 06, 2011, 09:34 PM
Joined Nov 2009
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30 View Post
Tom, You design them and I will build them for you Your designs are great and a pleasure to build. I only designed 2 RC birds and it is a lot of work so now I will just build kits. I have been busy at work, but the little down time I get I have been finishing the fuselage will post more pictures. Tom here are 2 of my designs.....actually based off of Electrifly..
based off of Electrifly? They look like the stock models out of the box.

I really like the Electrifly WW1 models. Nice light all wood construction, great looks and good performance. I have several in my collection. The SE-5a has always been one of my favorite aircraft and Electrifly got it right.

Tom
AlienAircraft is offline Find More Posts by AlienAircraft
Old Oct 07, 2011, 01:25 AM
UAS Pilot/Tech Instructor
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2000
1,441 Posts
Scigs,

I saw your PT-17 build thread over on RCU. I ordered my kit right then and it came in today. There has always been a soft spot in my heart for PT-17s. The Eflite is my favorite electric to take to the field right now.

Can't wait to see how yours comes out.

Mike
CryHavoc is online now Find More Posts by CryHavoc
Old Oct 08, 2011, 01:34 AM
Joined May 2005
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienAircraft View Post
based off of Electrifly? They look like the stock models out of the box.

I really like the Electrifly WW1 models. Nice light all wood construction, great looks and good performance. I have several in my collection. The SE-5a has always been one of my favorite aircraft and Electrifly got it right.

Tom
Tom, I really liked the looks of the Electrilfy ARFs, simple all balsa construction but I don't like arfs. So I studied the pictures and drew my own plans and had National Balsa cut out the parts. I was then able to buy the plastic and metal parts from from Electrifly. Tom how about an SE5 kit? I started to draw the plans for the SE5 based off Electrifly but was a little burned out after these two. My goal was to design all the Electrifly WWI birds and build them, but designing by an amateur takes a lot of time and head ache, especially when I cannot laser cut my own parts. Below is about as far as I got with the Se5.
Last edited by scigs30; Oct 08, 2011 at 01:41 AM.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 01:36 AM
Joined May 2005
750 Posts
The fuselage is almost done, just finishing up some sanding and I will post pictures tomorrow.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 01:44 AM
Joined May 2005
750 Posts
Oops, forgot the Se5.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 01:46 AM
Joined May 2005
750 Posts
OOps...sorry it was coming up as an invalid file.