HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2011, 01:05 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2007
775 Posts
Question
Solder or use bullet connectors when making my ESC wires longer

Hi

I need to make my Esc wires longer and I understand that I need to lengthen the motor/esc wires. My motor wires are a smaller gauge than my esc wires, so I'm going to use the same gauge wire as my esc 14awg is this correct?

Is it best to solder the wires from motor to Esc or use bullet connectors both sides from the motor to Esc?

Thanks

Jus
justy g is online now Find More Posts by justy g
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2011, 04:37 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,773 Posts
As long as the wire gauge is equal to the ESC there should be no problems, (other than the extra weight).
If the motor was drawing a very low current compared to the ESC's rating, then you could drop a gauge to save weight, but smaller gauge can also mean slightly higher resistance.

With extension leads, I personally still like to have connectors at one end, either the motor or ESC end depending on which is more accessible, (solder at the other end). It allows me to reverse the motor if required, as invariably it will run the wrong way.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Sep 29, 2011, 05:15 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2007
775 Posts
Thanks for your reply.

I will solder the esc connections and put bullet connectors at the motor end
justy g is online now Find More Posts by justy g
Old Sep 29, 2011, 09:36 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justy g View Post
Thanks for your reply.

I will solder the esc connections and put bullet connectors at the motor end
Alway solder when you have a choice. Better mechanical and no chance for corrosion.
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Sep 29, 2011, 09:02 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,507 Posts
An electrical designer friend suggested to use a 1/4in length of brass tubing rather than butt solder or parallel and heat shrink over it turns out smooth! I suggest extending the motor wires and ad bullets and leave the esc stock xcept for adding bullets(motor side)
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member