HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:19 PM
Born to be free
undefined
Joined Sep 2004
413 Posts
Discussion
Man arrested for planning to blow up Pentagon and US Capitol with R/C Plane.

Not soaring related but important to all of us:

Watch out boys for more regulation

Man arrested for planning to blow up pentagon and US Capitol with R/C Plane
tommyt is offline Find More Posts by tommyt
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:29 PM
AMA 105167
United States, CA, Stockton
Joined Jan 2003
1,034 Posts
Yeah ... I just read this and thought the same thing ... bad enough the freaked out with mounting cameras on planes ... now you just knew it would be a matter of time before some a-hole would go the next step ...

I can hear the FAA now ...
D_Dawg is offline Find More Posts by D_Dawg
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:49 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,747 Posts
One thing you know he wasn't a member of the AMA. I too am worried about us sport flyer's being penelized for some other person's idealogy.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:00 PM
AMA 105167
Joined Jan 2003
1,034 Posts
I see size limitations and restrictions on Electrics ... fines for flying in parks and school yards ...

any numerous ways to generate new fee revenue off fear & paranoia ...

Hobby stores being monitored of their sales by homeland security ... Background checks and a 7 day waiting period before you can purchase any RC vehicle or plane ...

Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:15 PM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,339 Posts
I sincerely doubt the FAA will modify anything they are doing. Their focus is aviation safety and not security. They have said that in plain English at least twice that I have witnessed. It's clear that the Justice people are painting this as what it is, the act of a deranged individual. The FBI set him up in a sting, lent him the money to buy the plane and C4 and then arrested him once he got far enough along to have a solid case.

The real tragedy here is the sensationalist and erroneous reporting I've seen.
Silent-AV8R is offline Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:25 PM
AMA 105167
Joined Jan 2003
1,034 Posts
com'on ... don't ruin a great crisis and conspiracy ...

I see it now ... 1/4 cirrus ... loaded with C-4 ... and GPS ... catching a thermal off all the hot-air out of the White House ...

Straight out of Tom Clancy's latest novel ... "Silent death from above" ... coming to bookstore near you ... SOON ....

On Sale at amazon .... 19.95 ... but, if you order now, you get free shipping ...

Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:53 PM
Joined Nov 2004
851 Posts
Reminds me of the guy who asked me straight up:

"How much weight could that carry?"

Then,

"How much could it carry with a more powerful motor?"

Then,

"What's the largest plane you can buy, how much weight can it carry, and how far could it fly?"
flystoolow is offline Find More Posts by flystoolow
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:54 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,991 Posts
That's pretty good Dawg, too bad its the way the real world is these days full of B.S.

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Old Sep 29, 2011, 07:26 AM
United States, MD, Rockville
Joined Nov 2000
271 Posts
CNN kept showing pitures the same two pictures back and forth for like two minutes during an interview. All I could think is we're doomed.
CFrench is offline Find More Posts by CFrench
Old Sep 29, 2011, 07:42 AM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,132 Posts
From the AMA (last evening):

"We received information regarding this issue earlier today. We have been able to obtain copies of the complaint affidavit and the DOJ Press Release and are currently reviewing the facts related to this situation.

AMA has activated its Crisis Response Plan and is currently fielding inquiries from the media and the membership. Our Public Relations department is also preparing a press release and position statement which should be posted on the AMA webpage shortly.

AMA will be monitoring this story closely as it unfolds and will make every effort to clarify the information and ensure the public is made aware that this is not a hobby related incident and was not instigated by a member of the modeling community."

I haven't seen anything on the website just yet but would expect it today.
tk
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Sep 29, 2011, 08:56 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,339 Posts
Just so people know, the statement above is from Rich Hanson who sent that out to people who contacted him about this.
Silent-AV8R is offline Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Sep 29, 2011, 09:09 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,747 Posts
Several year's ago I had 2 guy's watching me slope, one guy asked me if my glider could carry a gun, I didn't answer then the other guy asked if it could carry a bomb and I walked away. Now I'm very careful as to what I say to civilian's.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2011, 09:24 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,845 Posts
What's Wrong Here!

My question is WHY IS THE SON OF A BITCH STILL ALIVE? Why are any of these bastards that admit to and sign an affidavit stating their intensions allowed to live? This crap gets spread across the media giving their other groupies ideas and instills fear in OUR people. They should be off'd immediately and cremated! No publicity, no counsel, no trial...no nothing Oh, I know, we're going to question them to gain more information from them......BS!

Sorry for the rant, just upsets me that our justice system is not swift and decisive when it comes to this crap.
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Last edited by dwells; Sep 29, 2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 09:46 AM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
My question is WHY IS THE SON OF A BITCH STILL ALIVE? Why are any of these bastards that admit to and sign an affidavit stating their intensions allowed to live? This crap gets spread across the media giving their other groupies ideas and instills fear in OUR people. They should be off'd immediately and cremated! No publicity, no counsel, no trial...no nothing Oh, I know, we're going to question them to gain more information from them......BS!
No, no, no. In the current age of AH's rights, the government has to be sure that these morons are treated respectfully, lest they file suit because their Constitutional right to be an AH is infringed upon. This puts them right along side the other government-protected societal vermin, prisoners and illegals, in demanding their "rights". Yep, something is wrong in this country.
jtlsf5 is online now Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Sep 29, 2011, 09:53 AM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
962 Posts
D.W., I think you should run for President and straighten this Country out. We need people like you in the White House. I'll cast the first vote for you.

YEAH, D.W. for President.

Eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlsf5 View Post
No, no, no. In the current age of AH's rights, the government has to be sure that these morons are treated respectfully, lest they file suit because their Constitutional right to be an AH is infringed upon. This puts them right along side the other government-protected societal vermin, prisoners and illegals, in demanding their "rights". Yep, something is wrong in this country.
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar