Man arrested for planning to blow up pentagon and US Capitol with R/C Plane
tommyt is offline Find More Posts by tommyt
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:24 PM
Fly more Foam
United States, IN, Sellersburg
Joined Jun 2004
816 Posts
just read the news and man o man did the hobby take a BIG blow from this little planned stunt. Just gives the gov more fuel for thier fire against all of us. Will watch closely as to the large ripples this will make.
sam51401 is offline Find More Posts by sam51401
Old Sep 29, 2011, 08:36 AM
Mini-Me is watching you...
Hemet, CA
Joined Aug 2010
503 Posts
This just sucks! Here the AMA and all us normal people are trying to get the FAA to leave our hobby alone and this guy goes and gives them the canon fodder they need to push even harder. Very sad.
thenodemaster is offline Find More Posts by thenodemaster
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:30 PM
Joined Feb 2010
55 Posts
I don't post much on here, but I have to say that I saw that headline and my heart sunk. We have worked very hard to keep the flying areas we have, and this will make it even harder, especially the ones near major metropolitan areas. This is awful to hear.

Nick
nick 55 is offline Find More Posts by nick 55
Old Oct 04, 2011, 02:58 PM
In the Dunes
Chesterton, IN
Joined Dec 2003
169 Posts
Don't sit there and wring your hands and start talking about the sky falling. Go to the AMA website and read the FBI affadavit concerning this incident. True, this guy bought a 'plane, but if you read the affadavit, you'll find that there's a big doubt about whether he ever opened the box and even looked at it. What's obvious from the affadavit is that this was a total pipe dream. The guy had NO CLUE about aerodynamics or R/C aircraft. He had NO CLUE about how R/C jets operate, how they're flown, or how much weight they can carry. In fact, this guy is just about a total box-of-rocks. That's obvious from the affadavit. There is very little in this "plot" that could grow into more regulation. Just read the affadavit.

papermache
papermache is offline Find More Posts by papermache
Old Oct 12, 2011, 07:02 AM
North London ENGLAND
Joined Dec 2006
1,643 Posts
The FBI and CIA must be really short of work, having to wind up such people with impossible plans. You might guess that they are having trouble justifying their wages! When I saw the story over here, (UK) I thought at first it was a total fabrication, I mean, really! But it seems that "the authorities" pulled such stunts before and been accused of entrapment. I dont think it represents any kind of threat to the hobby. In fact Govt Agencies should be greatful that the hobby gives them a chance to prove their industrious preservation of the safety of the people!
macboffin is offline Find More Posts by macboffin