SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 28, 2011, 08:43 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,083 Posts
Discussion
NitroPlanes.com are their planes good?

I just want to know about the balsa type planes on nitroplanes.com. I posted another thread about their cubs, but I want to know about the quality of all their balsa, nitro planes. If you have had one of their planes or seen one please tell me their thoughts.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Last edited by Kyler1; Sep 28, 2011 at 10:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:44 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,095 Posts
People around the club generally agree that Nitroplanes are mostly very cheap construction Chinese. (I know that most models come from China but some companies quality of materials and labor are severely lacking.) If you happen to get a good one they will fly after you do the mods to bring it up to power and controlability.
If you get a bad one their customer service is nonexistant.
BTW: Also a ditto for Bananahobbies

Good luck with that.
Fokker DII is offline Find More Posts by Fokker DII
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:53 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,083 Posts
Bananahobbies is all electrics, isn't it. I fly glow.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:22 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylerdinger View Post
Bananahobbies is all electrics, isn't it. I fly glow.
www.nitroplanes.com shows ALL Electric planes. Foamies in many shapes and sizes. You asked about their quality not specifically about "nitro powered (glow engine) planes." Which foamies are not.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:37 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,083 Posts
Sorry. I am going to edit that. I was talking about all of their balsa nitro planes.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:34 PM
USA, OK, Locust Grove
Joined Jul 2010
74 Posts
I classify them as "builders" arf's. Most of them need structural work to be truly air worthy. Not all of them but most. I own several different NP arf's all of them needed something. Mostly bracing and fuel proofing. I would never trust their pre installed hinges and always check out the landing blocks..

That being said none were awful and all of them would have flown...for a time.

I recently received the http://www.nitroplanes.com/90a185b-g...iner-blue.html nothing is fuel proofed and the firewall needs some tri stock bracing. I will go through all the hinges soon. For the money they are pretty good. If you are willing to take the time they will teach you a lot about how our planes are made, what is good and what is bad. If you already know those things then they are good cheap projects. Just my 2 cents.

Oh yeah, good luck with the chinglish instructions most of them come with. If you have never assembled a plane. Get someone that has to help you check it out. There is rarely anything in the instructions that makes any sense.
Phoenix51 is offline Find More Posts by Phoenix51
Last edited by Phoenix51; Sep 28, 2011 at 11:39 PM. Reason: added comments
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:55 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,083 Posts
I have done a tower trainer ARF and I have also had to rebuild the front end of my alpha 40. I had to cut a few new peices and replace the firewall, so I guess you could say I am ok at doing that stuff. As for a good cheap project, I could use something like that.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 01:25 AM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,428 Posts
Ditto on everything said above.

I have the Nitroplanes Bobcat (RIP) and the fit and finish was lacking out of the box. Nothing really lined up without some filling and of course ALL reachable joints were re epoxied.

The landing gear blocks were not adequate and the front steering bulkhead needed significant improvements before it was ever stout enough for landings.

The stock hardware is absolute junk and was replaced with Dubro.

The CG in the manual was WRONG and not by just a little.

For the $$$ YES they are worth it. Shipping is kinda high but you still come out ahead on getting big ARF's for the price.
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Sep 29, 2011, 09:18 AM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,083 Posts
I saw that with the shipping calculator it was a little pricy, but it still comes out cheaper.
I am going to be getting this plane if I get anything from them, I am also going to get the floats for it too. The floats are only 50.00 more, then I dont have to worry about my other ones fitting it when the time comes to put floats on. http://www.nitroplanes.com/90a138r-v2-j3-kit.html
Old Sep 29, 2011, 02:00 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,970 Posts
no they're not good quality & not many designs.

however, they're not all chinese. for example, the "nitroplanes" SIG Seniorita's are not chinese. they were actually assembled in the USA by a builder who was selling the shipment to SIG to be SIG ARF's. unfortunately, the builder completely sucked & SIG denied the shipment/payment for them. at which point he sold them elsewhere (nitroplanes/hobbyking/etc). nitroplanes got most of them.

too many wings snapping in flight, warped wings, poor control surface hinging jobs from what i remember of it.

anywho... from nitroplanes if you look at their lineup & say "gee that sort of looks like a SIG kit". that's because it's a REJECT. lawlz!
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:06 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylerdinger View Post
I have done a tower trainer ARF and I have also had to rebuild the front end of my alpha 40. I had to cut a few new peices and replace the firewall, so I guess you could say I am ok at doing that stuff. As for a good cheap project, I could use something like that.
I would guess that you rebuilt the front of your trainer because of a crash, NOT because it needed it right out of the box before it was air worthy. Buy cheap, get cheap now but expensive and not much fun in the long run
Enjoy your flights.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:35 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,083 Posts
It was from a nasty crash. I was used to a tower trainer that doesn't stall very easy. I had just come out of a turn with very low throttle and it stalled and went straight into the ground. That thing flew straight as an arrow right out of the box, I just made a newbie mistake. That same alpha is what I have been flying for the past two years, that has been a good plane for me, but it is time to move on to bigger planes.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 10:19 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,824 Posts
Not much more to add except my experience. I had the zero and two spitfires. First thing you do is throw away the hardware, very poor metalurgy and brittle plastic. Throw away the instruction manual unless you like a good laugh, as was said, the CG is almost always wrong. Ask on the forums where the cg is. You need to be a builder to make it fly decent. I had to move the equipment around to keep from adding too much weight. The glass work is polyesther, not bad, but epoxy doesnt really stick to it. Had to use goop to move the servo tray, restick fuse formers, and attach switches and the air tank. Inspect all the hinge points. Inspect the landing gear mounts. They are normally a very poor design. All my planes had lightening holes cut out of the ribs used in the gear area, dumb idea. I had to laminate some ply on them to strengthen them. Dont squeeze the fuse too hard, they will bend easily and sometimes paint will chip. They typically build heavy, fly heavy, and land heavy. Dont get too slow on landing, they have a sudden nasty stall. BUT, with quite a bit of effort, they'll fly ok. I had my first spitfire dialed in perfect. Bought another when I lost it and did all the mods exactly the same. It wasnt even close to what the first one was, eventually sold it. You still see it making the swapmeet circuit.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Oct 10, 2011, 01:48 PM
Old hand. New head.
North Yorkshire, UK
Joined Jan 2009
20 Posts
I am flying an Extra 300S exactly as the Nitroplanes model here.
http://www.nitroplanes.com/ex306054niga.html
Its an excellent model well built and finished.
Glyn R is offline Find More Posts by Glyn R