HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:32 AM
Australia, NSW, Bowral
Joined May 2013
826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyZero View Post
And you need to power the ESC from a current limited source. Don't use the USBasp to power the ESC it is in most cases to week.
That has not been my experience.

Purists would say NEVER power a target from the programmer. Pragmatists know is can be reliable, and it can be very convenient.

Whilst I have reservations about powering a target from a programmer such as the USBASP, I have not yet found an ESC that I could not program (though I have only done a few of dozen), and I have been able to program ESCs that had a firmware fault that prevented them being powered from the battery leads due to excessive current.

In the latter case, the USBASP provided sufficient power for the MCU circuit and a bit of backfeed current into the linear voltage regulator.

There is a risk of 'bricking' an MCU if the power is not reliable during programming, but I have not yet experienced it using USBASP and the HK TQFP adapter. Note that before I use that adapter, I ALWAYS clean the MCU pins with alcohol to remove any flux residue and ensure not only good contact, but that the adapter remains uncontaminated... and make sure the adapter is properly and reliably located and hold it still whilst programming.

Owen
OwenD is offline Find More Posts by OwenD
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:01 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkdgglr View Post
I have these now. Could someone please help me identify which firmware would work on this esc?
from pic it looks like bs_nfet but without it in hand who knows
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Old Feb 26, 2014, 07:25 PM
Joined Dec 2007
20 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have done a LOT of searching prior to asking but really would like someone more knowledgeable's opinion on what fw to flash this ESC with:

Mystery Fire Dragon 60A.

Here are photos of it, and yes it is ATMEL with no pads, but I have the ATMEL flashing socket to place right on the MCU for programming:

Zeeko is offline Find More Posts by Zeeko
Old Feb 26, 2014, 08:41 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,231 Posts
I've successfully flashed some tgy18a esc.. That I had problems with like stuttering, and other just beep not spin the mt...Just wondering if these problem will replicate again.. Seems to be fine..bl motor response nicely..
barok is online now Find More Posts by barok
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:37 AM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwenD View Post
That has not been my experience.

Purists would say NEVER power a target from the programmer. Pragmatists know is can be reliable, and it can be very convenient.

Whilst I have reservations about powering a target from a programmer such as the USBASP, I have not yet found an ESC that I could not program (though I have only done a few of dozen), and I have been able to program ESCs that had a firmware fault that prevented them being powered from the battery leads due to excessive current.

In the latter case, the USBASP provided sufficient power for the MCU circuit and a bit of backfeed current into the linear voltage regulator.

There is a risk of 'bricking' an MCU if the power is not reliable during programming, but I have not yet experienced it using USBASP and the HK TQFP adapter. Note that before I use that adapter, I ALWAYS clean the MCU pins with alcohol to remove any flux residue and ensure not only good contact, but that the adapter remains uncontaminated... and make sure the adapter is properly and reliably located and hold it still whilst programming.

Owen
I also did program ESC and FC by USBasp only, it always worked with my mid 2010 MacBook. But I had a lot of support mails answered where the front USB or the USB port of a Laptop was to weak. That's why I not recommend it.

Christian
LazyZero is offline Find More Posts by LazyZero
Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:19 AM
Australia, NSW, Bowral
Joined May 2013
826 Posts
Quote:
I also did program ESC and FC by USBasp only, it always worked with my mid 2010 MacBook. But I had a lot of support mails answered where the front USB or the USB port of a Laptop was to weak. That's why I not recommend it.

Christian
Ok, I have not experienced those problems (perhaps because I don't use Apple hardware), but a long time ago I learned to not use flimsy USB cables for USB powered devices like device programmers, the voltage drop can be an issue (especially if they have on-board SMPS).

Owen
Old Feb 27, 2014, 07:02 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeko View Post
Hi everyone,

I have done a LOT of searching prior to asking but really would like someone more knowledgeable's opinion on what fw to flash this ESC with:

Mystery Fire Dragon 60A.

Here are photos of it, and yes it is ATMEL with no pads, but I have the ATMEL flashing socket to place right on the MCU for programming:
There is no way to tell really from your picture. What can be seen is possibly no external oscillator but does have fet driver ic so my blind guess would lead me to try and see if tp_nfet would map out to the correct pins. Not saying that is what it is just I would start looking at that one first.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 09:41 PM
Joined Dec 2007
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug398 View Post
There is no way to tell really from your picture. What can be seen is possibly no external oscillator but does have fet driver ic so my blind guess would lead me to try and see if tp_nfet would map out to the correct pins. Not saying that is what it is just I would start looking at that one first.
Sorry, I was a big demanding in my previous post.

Anyway I looked at the https://github.com/sim-/tgy/wiki/Ide...-configuration page to try and decipher what I have and the ICs aren't either of the examples rather they are S2003 212P IOR(?) C60S(5?)4 chips

Here is a picture of what I mapped out assuming the pinouts are same as an IR2101 or a BL8003SPEC IC:

EDIT:

This pin tracing seems to mean the only pin that could be used for PWM input is INT0 (PD2) on the Atmega. INT1 (PD3) and ICP (PB0) are used already.
Last edited by Zeeko; Feb 27, 2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 02:31 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
1,949 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, I was a big demanding in my previous post.
<snip>

EDIT:

This pin tracing seems to mean the only pin that could be used for PWM input is INT0 (PD2) on the Atmega. INT1 (PD3) and ICP (PB0) are used already.
alternatively could be tgy.inc ?
Mike Barton is offline Find More Posts by Mike Barton
Last edited by Mike Barton; Feb 28, 2014 at 02:53 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 02:50 AM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwenD View Post
Ok, I have not experienced those problems (perhaps because I don't use Apple hardware), but a long time ago I learned to not use flimsy USB cables for USB powered devices like device programmers, the voltage drop can be an issue (especially if they have on-board SMPS).

Owen
Its not a Mac issue. It is most time that Laptops not really deliver the 500mA or that front USB ports are used.
LazyZero is offline Find More Posts by LazyZero
Old Feb 28, 2014, 03:23 AM
Joined Dec 2007
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barton View Post
Thanks for your input!
I'll give it a try soon. Just going to read over the .inc file to double check stuff for my own knowledge
Old Feb 28, 2014, 05:07 AM
Australia, NSW, Bowral
Joined May 2013
826 Posts
Quote:
Its not a Mac issue. It is most time that Laptops not really deliver the 500mA or that front USB ports are used.
So now you are telling us it takes 500mA to power the USBASP and target ESC.

I doubt it is anything like that, I have measured it, and certainly never measured anything like that on the ESCs I have flashed.

I have used USBASP to power (non ESC) targets that I know draw well more than typical ESCs, but less than the 100mA standard minimum port current availability, and they have just worked, worked every time (including using laptops).

I do have reservations about powering a target from a programmer in the wider world, but it is possible to design systems that are safe and reliable... and in my experience the power load of an ESC on the programmer is usually so small that it is in that category.

Owen

PS: Lots of us successfully and reliably program flight controllers powered only from the USB cable... it is not just convenient, the thing is safer because it can't power up the motors when powered in this way.

People have been powering small Arduino projects from USB with great success.

Using a USBASP to power a target is quite the same as these examples.

Whilst there may be some instances / configurations where it hasn't worked, it can be quite reliable when intelligently done.
Last edited by OwenD; Feb 28, 2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 05:14 AM
Joined Dec 2007
20 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for your input!
I'll give it a try soon. Just going to read over the .inc file to double check stuff for my own knowledge
Nope, not tgy no sound on powerup.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 12:45 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barton View Post
Hey Mike I always jump to tgy first when I don't spot an ext.osc. but leaned to tp_nfet because of some of the circuit layout. Tough to guess as I now use tgy esc with ext. osc that if I saw a picture of it, tgy would be the last thing I would guess. Can't see any pics behind this firewall so will have to wait till connect to different network.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 01:46 PM
Australia, NSW, Bowral
Joined May 2013
826 Posts
Quote:
Nope, not tgy no sound on powerup.
Are you just trying modules till you find one that works, or blow it up on the way?

Try reading https://github.com/sim-/tgy/wiki/Ide...-configuration .

Owen