Old Nov 06, 2013, 02:19 AM
Professional amature
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Oct 2011
92 Posts
OK Owen - I have to ask!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwenD View Post
I received 5 x F-30A yesterday, and performed my 'standard' procedure .......and flashed JUST the SimonK bootloader
How do I get JUST the SimonK bootloader for the F-30A?

Do I need to use AVRDude to flash it? I am not at all familiar with AVRDude command syntax that I see the GUIs like KKMulticopter Flash tool spit out in the flash progress dialogues.

I am a bit familiar with eXtreme Burner AVR which is what I used to "Lock" the bootloader per your info (Thanks again!). I installed along with SimonK bs_nfet.hex. Could I use eXtreme Burner AVR to write JUST the SimonK bootloader wherever I may be able to get it?

Is the bootloader something that can be selected in isolation by editing the tgy.asm file and then compiling it into a bootloader only bs_nefet.hex load?

Thanks,

Ed
vastsky is offline Find More Posts by vastsky
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2013, 03:06 AM
Australia, NSW, Bowral
Joined May 2013
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vastsky View Post
How do I get JUST the SimonK bootloader for the F-30A?

Do I need to use AVRDude to flash it? I am not at all familiar with AVRDude command syntax that I see the GUIs like KKMulticopter Flash tool spit out in the flash progress dialogues.

I am a bit familiar with eXtreme Burner AVR which is what I used to "Lock" the bootloader per your info (Thanks again!). I installed along with SimonK bs_nfet.hex. Could I use eXtreme Burner AVR to write JUST the SimonK bootloader wherever I may be able to get it?

Is the bootloader something that can be selected in isolation by editing the tgy.asm file and then compiling it into a bootloader only bs_nefet.hex load?

Thanks,

Ed
Ed, I build my custom hex files from source (using Atmel's AVR assembler), and I program the MCU using AVRDUDE from the command line (well, from a batch file).

I create the bootloader.hex by stripping it from a combined hex using srec_cat, it is part of the Makefile I use to build the hex.

Code:
    mv $*.hex $*_boot.hex
    @$(SREC_CAT) $*_boot.hex -intel -exclude 0x1c00 0x2000 -o $*.hex -intel 
    @$(SREC_CAT) $*_boot.hex -intel -crop 0x1c00 0x2000 -o bootloader.hex -intel
This works for me, but it won't suit most people.

I don't use KK flash tool, so I cannot comment. I don't use eXtreme Burner, so again cannot comment.

I merely stated the procedure to document how I get to the end point which is a satisfactory outcome. Recently, there was a problem with one of the front end tools and it turned out that the problems some people were having was the tool and not SimonK firmware per se.

Owen

PS: As I understand it, there are essentially two kinds of bootloader used, the common one, and one for servo input that is inverted at the MCU pin.
OwenD is offline Find More Posts by OwenD
Old Nov 06, 2013, 03:11 AM
Australia, NSW, Bowral
Joined May 2013
845 Posts
Quote:

These are quick and convenient, but there are lots of ways including two soldering irons (or even one soldering iron for the skilful.
Keep in mind that most times when you work on a PCB, preserving the PCB is the first priority... so brutal methods to get a 2c capacitor off the board at the expense of lifting a track does not make good sense.

Owen
Old Nov 06, 2013, 07:25 AM
Canada, QC, Saguenay
Joined May 2013
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABLomas View Post
Maybe try to ask 'Search' button first? Answered already maybe 5x in this topics, probably more.
Ontopic - easy to remove with pliers (and unsolder both ends later), or just pick solder blob with soldering iron, put it on cap and take it off.
Hey sorry to have bothered you!!! Answering my question would have saved you some time I guess instead of giving me some attitude... I hate forums when things turn like that.

I am subscriped to this thread and saw this post comming saying someone removed the capacitor without explaining why. I never heard of that procedure so I though it was a new thing, or for a very specific use. I wasn't aware I could find the answer elsewhere! It was totally on topic at the time I asked fir it.
jparchib is offline Find More Posts by jparchib
Old Nov 06, 2013, 08:41 AM
Joined Oct 2013
121 Posts
Hello everyone ... i want to flash turnigy multistar 30A OPTO esc's with SimonK ? How I can do that ? I understood that OPTO version have bugs with kda.hex

I have this tool for flashing -> http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...hing_Tool.html
dezeubby is offline Find More Posts by dezeubby
Old Nov 06, 2013, 01:49 PM
Professional amature
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Oct 2011
92 Posts
Voodoo magic!!

Quote:
Ed, I build my custom hex files from source (using Atmel's AVR assembler), and I program the MCU using AVRDUDE from the command line (well, from a batch file).

I create the bootloader.hex by stripping it from a combined hex using srec_cat, it is part of the Makefile I use to build the hex.

Code:
    mv $*.hex $*_boot.hex
    @$(SREC_CAT) $*_boot.hex -intel -exclude 0x1c00 0x2000 -o $*.hex -intel 
    @$(SREC_CAT) $*_boot.hex -intel -crop 0x1c00 0x2000 -o bootloader.hex -intel
This works for me, but it won't suit most people.

I don't use KK flash tool, so I cannot comment. I don't use eXtreme Burner, so again cannot comment.

I merely stated the procedure to document how I get to the end point which is a satisfactory outcome. Recently, there was a problem with one of the front end tools and it turned out that the problems some people were having was the tool and not SimonK firmware per se.

Owen

PS: As I understand it, there are essentially two kinds of bootloader used, the common one, and one for servo input that is inverted at the MCU pin.
Damn it Owen!! You've now got me heading on another correct vector into the fog heheh!!

I love these kernels of info because they do get me digging and learning more about the various tools and methods used to get these F-30As to the specs I seek. For me it is more about the journey and the spin-off is a great ESC. Thanks for detailing your prep routine for flashing ESCs.

I like trying the cause/effect of editing parameters in the tgy.asm file, so being able to use the USB Linker over the servo lead makes the re-flash process easier without
heat shrink re-re-re-removals. Your bootloader preserving "Lock bit" explanation has saved me much grief! I am happy with the SimonK/bootloader bs_nfet.hex once "locked" but may attempt to follow your "custom" bootloader protocol just for fun.

Followed the "front end" tool problem. ESC testing using current limiting is SO vital! All you need is a silly automotive tail light in series with the supply! It is pretty easy get lulled into skipping the supply current limiting when testing because the flashes are typically without unhappy results.

Thanks again for your continuous contributions and re-re-re-answering the same questions!

Ed
vastsky is offline Find More Posts by vastsky
Old Nov 06, 2013, 03:09 PM
Australia, NSW, Bowral
Joined May 2013
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vastsky View Post
I love these kernels of info because they do get me digging and learning more about the various tools and methods used to get these F-30As to the specs I seek. For me it is more about the journey and the spin-off is a great ESC. ...
Ok Ed. Yes, some of us enjoy all that peripheral stuff, and you have figured that I am equipped to do that for reasons beside ESCs. Likewise, my methods come from that background.

BTW, I work mainly on WIndows, though I use a lot of *nix tools on Windows.

Protecting bootloaders is a pretty standard thing in the rest of the world. Simon's bootloader can replace itself... a pretty heroic thing to do, but since it does not contain secret keys, 'bricking' the bootloader just means unwrapping the ESC and putting a new bootloader on with ISP.

At the other extreme, Western Digital gives us an example of messing up an encrypting bootloader that contains your licence secret... one of their online upgrades bricked a lot of WDTV Live boxes that had to be sent half way round the world to be replaced with a second hand unit with good firmware... what a debacle!

But, for routine flashing of ESCs, the USB Linker is the way to go.

Owen
Old Nov 08, 2013, 02:19 PM
Australia, NSW, Bowral
Joined May 2013
845 Posts
Quote:
I received 5 x F-30A yesterday...

Update: and they fly real well... so far.
Famous last words.

One has bitten the dust after just a few flights.

Problem turns out to be the S wire crimp to the servo plug is intermittent / unreliable. Fortunately first failure was noticed on the ground, so no crash damage!

Now these connectors are a weak point and easily damaged by pulling on the wires instead of the connector shell... but that has not happened in this case.

Poor quality assembly, no point telling HK though.

Owen
Old Nov 10, 2013, 08:41 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11 Posts
Hk ss90

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18920

I have 5 of these ESCs and am finding out they do not respond quickly enough for my quad.
I would like to flash them with simonk FW, but haven't done this before, so need to order a programmer if I do.
The list does not show this particular HK SS, though it shows several others in this SS series and there are different firmwares for them.

I would like to try to flash them, but I don't know which firmware to try.

What is the most likely firmware to work for this ESC or will it have to be written specifically for it?
gmcintire is offline Find More Posts by gmcintire
Old Nov 11, 2013, 02:02 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcintire View Post
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18920

I have 5 of these ESCs and am finding out they do not respond quickly enough for my quad.
I flashed something similar to this with bs.hex, but i'm not sure if it's identical. Better check:
https://github.com/sim-/tgy/wiki/Ide...-configuration
While i was using such ESC's on plane (with brake and even reverse) and it's OK for plane, i would like to see copter, which uses such ESC's. What you're doing with them? They do not work good at very low voltage, probably 2S is minimum, so... 700W+ on each motor, lifting bricks or what?
ABLomas is offline Find More Posts by ABLomas
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:30 AM
Joined Aug 2009
87 Posts
Tiger motor mn3508-29 and Tiger Motor 30a opto esc pro do not play well together on 4s nor 6s. I programmed the the esc with various settings - no luck! See Video
Tiger Motor mn3508-29 and tmotor 30a opto pro.mp4 (4 min 17 sec)
. Suggestions recommended
WaveV is offline Find More Posts by WaveV
Old Nov 12, 2013, 01:58 PM
Australia, NSW, Bowral
Joined May 2013
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveV View Post
Tiger motor mn3508-29 and Tiger Motor 30a opto esc pro do not play well together on 4s nor 6s. I programmed the the esc with various settings - no luck! See Video http://youtu.be/MQhm6XBfqn8. Suggestions recommended
You have not taken the trouble to be very specific.

If you search around, you will find there has been a lot of recent discussion about sync issues with SimonK firmware, and revised firmware to try to address the problem. It seems more likely that expensive motors are affected... and yours would be in the expensive category. Higher pole counts / higher voltages seem to figure in the problem descriptions.

I Googled for info on the motor, and the specs on several sits say they are 14 pole motors, but the pictures look more like 22 pole motors... the published specs lack credibiity (but that is part of the territory, isn't it).

I have no idea of what version or versions you have tried, and what "various settings" you have tried... so you get a non-specific suggestion. Try the various experimental / recent versions and see if some work better, and if one works well or well enough. Keep watching, there is more work taking place.

The (latest?) experimental version (tgy_testing_2013-10-29_8c2cf42_comp_pwm.zip) works fine on all my quad motors... but they are all inexpensive ones, the largest is 300+W on 4S at around $15 (though I did buy a single Multistar 4822-690Kv to see what all the fuss is about, and it now works fine).

Good luck... Owen
Old Nov 12, 2013, 02:26 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11 Posts
Hk ss 90/100

It looks like this may work with the same firmware that was used in the 200 amp model. The pictures of it look very similar to my HK-SS-90/100s.

Here are photos of my HK-SS-90/100

Name: HK-SS-90 ESC.jpg
Views: 30
Size: 222.4 KB
Description:

Name: HK-SS-90 ESC2.jpg
Views: 41
Size: 250.1 KB
Description:

Here is the 200 amp
Name: img_4564.jpg
Views: 35
Size: 197.5 KB
Description:

The 200 amp uses this firmware - hk200a.hex. Does anyone know if that might work???[
gmcintire is offline Find More Posts by gmcintire
Last edited by gmcintire; Nov 12, 2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 06:36 PM
Quad On!!
United States, AL, Auburn
Joined Dec 2012
1,004 Posts
Hey guys I need some help flashing HK 10 amp esc's. I don't want to fry them. From what I've read up on I need to make an adapter like on the first page to connect the pads. Then just upload the bs.hex file?
nate25j is online now Find More Posts by nate25j
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2013, 08:22 PM
Canada, QC, Saguenay
Joined May 2013
441 Posts
Quote:
You have not taken the trouble to be very specific.

If you search around, you will find there has been a lot of recent discussion about sync issues with SimonK firmware, and revised firmware to try to address the problem. It seems more likely that expensive motors are affected... and yours would be in the expensive category. Higher pole counts / higher voltages seem to figure in the problem descriptions.

I Googled for info on the motor, and the specs on several sits say they are 14 pole motors, but the pictures look more like 22 pole motors... the published specs lack credibiity (but that is part of the territory, isn't it).

I have no idea of what version or versions you have tried, and what "various settings" you have tried... so you get a non-specific suggestion. Try the various experimental / recent versions and see if some work better, and if one works well or well enough. Keep watching, there is more work taking place.

The (latest?) experimental version (tgy_testing_2013-10-29_8c2cf42_comp_pwm.zip) works fine on all my quad motors... but they are all inexpensive ones, the largest is 300+W on 4S at around $15 (though I did buy a single Multistar 4822-690Kv to see what all the fuss is about, and it now works fine).

Good luck... Owen
Owen, what is the difference between the comp_pwm version and the tgy_testing_2013-10-29_8c2cf42 regular version? I am on the 10-29 at the moment and have good results with my 3508 700. By the way th 3508 motors are effectively 14 poles.
jparchib is offline Find More Posts by jparchib