SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 24, 2013, 06:13 AM
Robots... robots everywhere
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2003
2,060 Posts
Can you try a different FC and RX? It really sounds like a FC or RX issue to me. Maybe there is some water/minerals in your FC tuning pots (do DJI have those?) and it had pushed your PIDs way out or something. Or maybe your RX is sending garbage to the FC. But I don't know of a way that BL-ESCs only half-work. If they are able to spin up the motor then they are already functioning at a very high level.
minifly is offline Find More Posts by minifly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2013, 08:45 AM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,892 Posts
I changed everything except the frame. So water has nothing to do with it.
The first thing I changed out was the esc and thats when the problem started, then I started changing everything thinking it was the water.
antslake is offline Find More Posts by antslake
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:49 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2010
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlerbak View Post
Hi! All!

I had flashed a Hobbyking SS15-18 with tp.hex and it works great!

TomSn0w's List should be changed. It is not tgy.hex (for no ext. osc. and P/N FET), but tp.hex (for ext. osc. and P/N FET)

SS15-18 has ext. ocs. and P/N FET.
Have a bunch of the same ESC's.

So they're not killed after being flashed?
bikertje888 is offline Find More Posts by bikertje888
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:28 PM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2003
2,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antslake View Post
I changed everything except the frame. So water has nothing to do with it.
The first thing I changed out was the esc and thats when the problem started, then I started changing everything thinking it was the water.
Maybe it's the TX?
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:30 PM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2003
2,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertje888 View Post
Have a bunch of the same ESC's.

So they're not killed after being flashed?
I've flashed a bunch of the HK20/18SS ESCs. Don't use tp.hex, it sometimes can kill them. Use tp_8khz.hex.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:59 PM
safer on the ground
wilts, United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2006
766 Posts
need advice

I've now got around to rebuilding my last wooden tricopter, as it is I have keda TR 2834/22 --Kv 850 motors, 10x4.5 props and using a turnigy basic 25A, bec 2A version 3.1, KK2 1V6++ control board , started out with V 1.2 then as improvements appeared I've flashed up until I got to 1v6++ I've been flying this tri for over a year with no problems.

now with my new build I intend using the hextronic tr750 bell motors, the question is will these esc's be ok with the new motors with 10x45 props, especially as the keda motors suggested 60A escs, as I said I've been using the turnigy 25a escs with no problem??

otherwise I've got some ProFlight-UK 30A ESC SimonK Multi-Rotor Optimised but on my other 2 rebuilt tricopters they for some reason get rather warm, not too hot to touch but still hotter than the turnigy esc???

TIA

ray
teccer1234 is offline Find More Posts by teccer1234
Last edited by teccer1234; Jul 24, 2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:59 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2010
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minifly View Post
I've flashed a bunch of the HK20/18SS ESCs. Don't use tp.hex, it sometimes can kill them. Use tp_8khz.hex.
So I should be fine flashing them, thx.

Gonna be a heck of a job flashing it, those Atmel legs are soooooooo small...

BTW, what's the difference between the tp.hex and tp_8khz.hex?
Is it less effective than the normal flashing hex?

Edit: does anyone know if the "Atmel Atmega Socket Firmware Flashing Tool" from Hobbyking fits on this chip?
What I mean is, I know it is supposed to fit, but the legs of the Atmel on the HK20/18A are very very very small.
Some ESC's have the legs longer.

Does anyone have experience with this?
Last edited by bikertje888; Jul 24, 2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 05:17 PM
Australia, NSW, Bowral
Joined May 2013
846 Posts
Quote:
Edit: does anyone know if the "Atmel Atmega Socket Firmware Flashing Tool" from Hobbyking fits on this chip?
What I mean is, I know it is supposed to fit, but the legs of the Atmel on the HK20/18A are very very very small.
Some ESC's have the legs longer.

Does anyone have experience with this?
The most common ATMEGA8 package used is a TQFP32 package, it has 32 pins, 8 on each side, and the plastic header is 7mm square and the pins stick out the side very clearly. The HK tool fits THIS package. Hint: clean the pins with some alcohol BEFORE using the tool to improve contact and reduce the risk of contamination of the tool with residues from the board. The tool can be a bit dicky, especially where too much solder has been used... so be patient.

The OTHER package often used on smaller MLF or QFN package which is 5mm square and has pads rather than leads as such. The tool does not suit this package.

Owen
OwenD is offline Find More Posts by OwenD
Old Jul 24, 2013, 05:31 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2010
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwenD View Post
The most common ATMEGA8 package used is a TQFP32 package, it has 32 pins, 8 on each side, and the plastic header is 7mm square and the pins stick out the side very clearly. The HK tool fits THIS package. Hint: clean the pins with some alcohol BEFORE using the tool to improve contact and reduce the risk of contamination of the tool with residues from the board. The tool can be a bit dicky, especially where too much solder has been used... so be patient.

The OTHER package often used on smaller MLF or QFN package which is 5mm square and has pads rather than leads as such. The tool does not suit this package.

Owen
That's what I meant, I know it should fit the chip.
But with the HK SS 18-20A, the chip's legs are really short.
I'm not sure the HK tool will be able to connect the chip's legs...
That's my concern.

Don't wanna waste $20 if I don't have any use for it.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 07:49 PM
Australia, NSW, Bowral
Joined May 2013
846 Posts
Quote:
That's what I meant, I know it should fit the chip.
But with the HK SS 18-20A, the chip's legs are really short.
I'm not sure the HK tool will be able to connect the chip's legs...
That's my concern.

Don't wanna waste $20 if I don't have any use for it.
Why would the legs be shorter than standard? Do you think someone clipped them shorter on a mass production line?

All I can suggest is look up the datasheet which gives you the dimensions, and check them against your package. Are they actually shorter than spectification or are you imagining a problem.

The package that might appear to have short pins actually uses pads and no pins, though a little solder wicks up onto the side of the L shaped pads and novices might think they are really short pins.

But if you read my post and comprehended it, I gave you the package dimensions so you could check. Did you check, did you measure?

Owen
OwenD is offline Find More Posts by OwenD
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:11 PM
Crash happy
Joined Jan 2010
28 Posts
Identifying ESC connections

Well i picked up some Hobbyking SS Series 25-30A ESC's (HK-SS30A) for a multi-rotor project, and they don't look anything like the github pictures. Mine do have some solder pads which are 2 rows of 3 columns, (not just one row) which appear to be flashing pads. My question is if they are flash pads, and if so which are which? Is it the standard 6 pin AVR?

I tried looking in the thread but its pretty dense...

Sooooo, if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be most appreciated! Pictures are crap, but hopefully helpful. The pads are directly below the chip.

And which hex file??
FoamyMike is offline Find More Posts by FoamyMike
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:31 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2010
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwenD View Post
Why would the legs be shorter than standard? Do you think someone clipped them shorter on a mass production line?

All I can suggest is look up the datasheet which gives you the dimensions, and check them against your package. Are they actually shorter than spectification or are you imagining a problem.

The package that might appear to have short pins actually uses pads and no pins, though a little solder wicks up onto the side of the L shaped pads and novices might think they are really short pins.

But if you read my post and comprehended it, I gave you the package dimensions so you could check. Did you check, did you measure?

Owen
The chip is the ATMEGA 8L - 8MC and I've checked the data sheet.
This one does have the TQFP32 package.

Only the legs look very very very short. Shorter than on other ESC's.
I'll try to upload a picture to give you an idea about what I mean.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:32 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2010
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamyMike View Post
Well i picked up some Hobbyking SS Series 25-30A ESC's (HK-SS30A) for a multi-rotor project, and they don't look anything like the github pictures. Mine do have some solder pads which are 2 rows of 3 columns, (not just one row) which appear to be flashing pads. My question is if they are flash pads, and if so which are which? Is it the standard 6 pin AVR?

I tried looking in the thread but its pretty dense...

Sooooo, if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be most appreciated! Pictures are crap, but hopefully helpful. The pads are directly below the chip.

And which hex file??
Have a look at
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...BQkZZRlE#gid=0
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:48 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2010
267 Posts
Quote:
The chip is the ATMEGA 8L - 8MC and I've checked the data sheet.
This one does have the TQFP32 package.

Only the legs look very very very short. Shorter than on other ESC's.
I'll try to upload a picture to give you an idea about what I mean.
This is a picture of the Non-programmable HK SS 18-20A:

See what I mean?
The legs seem smaller than most other ESC's I've seen.

Maybe it's just an optical illusion, dunno.

So, will the "Atmel Atmega Socket Firmware Flashing Tool" from Hobbyking be able to make contact with the 6 necessary legs of the Atmel?
Or could it become a problem?
Last edited by bikertje888; Jul 24, 2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:01 PM
Crash happy
Joined Jan 2010
28 Posts
Quote:
yeah I checked there too. it looks like a different board... but i'm starting to think that it's just a regular 6 pin avr configuration.

A less specific question is how do you find which signal is which?
FoamyMike is offline Find More Posts by FoamyMike
Last edited by FoamyMike; Jul 24, 2013 at 11:07 PM.